Large phpBB forums

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
MarkDHamill

Large phpBB forums

Post by MarkDHamill »

I'm curious what are some of the largest phpBB forums out there. This forum has 4.1M posts. Are there any bigger?

I recently upgraded a client with 1.2M posts and expect to soon upgrade another client with 2.4M posts. The 1.2M took more than a day on a virtual server.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Covers through phpBB 3.3.7. eBook and paper versions available.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Re: Large phpBB forums

Post by 3Di »

posts 98.680.527 https://www.bokt.nl/forums/ more than 96M.

I have seen a lot with more than 14/18/24/30 M posts as well.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Interesting. Looks like a phpBB 2 forum. That's huge and maybe its size has made upgrading inadvisable.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Covers through phpBB 3.3.7. eBook and paper versions available.
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

You may ask the owner: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=184 ;)

But should be that uses phpBB3.
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

Iam pretty sure it is a modified phpBB3 with a subsilver2 based style. Bart is a former phpBB developer
KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

Mine has almost 2M posts with 6GB database. I migrated servers and did a long overdue upgrade from 3.0.x to 3.2.2. The phpBB update took around 12-18 hours on a VPS in Windows Server environment. I had to use the CLI to do the installation, as it would repeatedly time out on the GUI version. It then needed a lot of further work getting the styles up to date, parsing the database (I had to do this manually via CLI as well, as it was taking too long using the inbuilt cron task), adding extension to re-enable old functionality etc. Probably over 100 hours work all up.
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

There’s a lesson there.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Ger

Post by Ger »

MarkDHamill wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:21 am I'm curious what are some of the largest phpBB forums out there. This forum has 4.1M posts. Are there any bigger?

I recently upgraded a client with 1.2M posts and expect to soon upgrade another client with 2.4M posts. The 1.2M took more than a day on a virtual server.
I'm working on a 1M board currently running IPB 3.4. Migrating to 3.0 -> 3.1 -> 3.2 and then reparsing takes about 2 - 3 hours in total on a pretty basic local Ubuntu install. I wonder why it's taking you that long.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

Paul wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:57 am Iam pretty sure it is a modified phpBB3 with a subsilver2 based style. Bart is a former phpBB developer
version = 3.0.11
https://www.bokt.nl/forums/styles/Bokt5/style.cfg
https://www.bokt.nl/forums/styles/prosilver/style.cfg
KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

Mick wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:56 am There’s a lesson there.
Yep sure is. Unfortunately, I only assumed responsibility for server maintenance this year, so having to catch up on 8 years worth of updates was not by choice :? I have to say though that despite the long time between updates, the process was pretty straightforward with all the support documentation and this board. Most of the work was in server setup and tweaking and customising the forum rather than phpBB itself. Kudos and many thanks to all the staff and contributors on that front.
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

MarkDHamill wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:21 am I'm curious what are some of the largest phpBB forums out there. This forum has 4.1M posts. Are there any bigger?

We are currently over 400 Million posts on phpbb2 with close to 100 million attachments
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

JLA wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:57 pm We are currently over 400 Million posts on phpbb2 with close to 100 million attachments
Congrats. :shock:
JLA

Post by JLA »

3Di wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:15 pm
JLA wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:57 pm We are currently over 400 Million posts on phpbb2 with close to 100 million attachments
Congrats. :shock:
Thanks - alot of work over the past 14 years!
Heo32

Post by Heo32 »

MarkDHamill wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:32 am Interesting. Looks like a phpBB 2 forum.
It's a phpBB 3.0.3 setup.

https://www.bokt.nl/forums/docs/CHANGELOG.html
stevemaury wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:16 pm I went to your board and looked for an hour or so, but did not see the women without underwear.
Allow using Content-Security-Policy without unsafe-inline • Content-Security-Policy
JLA

Post by JLA »

Heo32 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:15 pm
MarkDHamill wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:32 am Interesting. Looks like a phpBB 2 forum.
It's a phpBB 3.0.3 setup.

https://www.bokt.nl/forums/docs/CHANGELOG.html
Wonder if Gaia online (they were the largest phpbb2 based forum) still is running phpbb2 or phpbb3 based code. Lanzer made alot of changes years ago but I've yet to see any recent posts from him on the status of that site.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”