Unable to Upgrade from 3.1.9 to 3.2.2

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Unable to Upgrade from 3.1.9 to 3.2.2

Post by KevC »

It's supposed to be like that. I'm not a coder but the file is correct or it would not work for anyone.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

njallison wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:37 pm what I am saying is that there is no path install/update/update/new/install/startup folders do not exist or even a install/update folder
That is correct, but you can always upload the install folder again, if you have doubts.
Or even upload all the 3.2.2 files again.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

that path looks like it may have something to do with the auto update method of updating. it may be something that gets created when you are using the autoupdate scripts. you should not be using that system of updating/upgrading at all so don't worry about it.

is there a particular reason that you have to be using windows hosting? windows hosting is sometimes very hard to get setup correctly even for the host.

the web was designed around unix based servers and most of the net runs on *nix servers.

if you have a choice, you really should switch to linux hosting and do away with all of the windows issues.

that might just solve all your problems.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
njallison
Name: Nelson Allison

Post by njallison »

I don't know if my host offers non windows hosting, that's what I've been on since I started using them tbh I've never had any issues with the servers (6 domains...small I know) except with phpbb on this one domain.

I rather not start down the Windows vs Linux road here and just get this issue fixed. I'm both puzzled and very frustrated that this is taking so long to solve and am not delighted with the solutions provided.

Glancing over the instructions for running the upgrade locally has all the appearances of a major undertaking.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

You need to be talking to your hosts. That's where the problem is.
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
njallison

Post by njallison »

I am talking to them, they have not found anything so far.
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

The package you used was full package and not auto? You should turn off that board disable setting and try without it & see what happens.
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
njallison

Post by njallison »

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've:

tried it with that board disable off, board disable on, logged in, logged out, standing on one foot.....

I'm following the instructions for upgrade

1.Ensure that your server meets the requirements for running phpBB 3.2: Section 1.1, “Requirements”

2.Make a backup of the original files

3.Make a backup of the database

4.Deactivate all styles except for prosilver

5.Deactivate any extensions which are not compatible with phpBB 3.2. Check with the extension author to find out if an extension is compatible or not.

6.Set British English as the only language pack

7.Download the phpBB 3.2 Full Package archive

8.Extract the contents of the archive to your computer and open the phpBB3 directory

9.Delete the following files from the package:

◦The config.php file

◦The images/ directory

◦The files/ directory

◦The store/ directory

10.On your website, delete all files from your board EXCEPT for:

◦The config.php file

◦The ext/ directory

◦The images/ directory

◦The files/ directory

◦The store/ directory

11.Upload the contents of the phpBB3 directory from your computer to your forum's directory. You may be prompted to overwrite the remaining files. If prompted to merge or overwrite directories, choose to merge them.

12.Update the database:

Tip

For large boards, you may wish to update via the command line instead of using a web browser. From your board's root, execute the following command: php ./bin/phpbbcli.php db:migrate --safe-mode

1.Using your web browser, visit install/ in your board's root. (http://railviewmrc.ca/phpBB3/install/)

2.Click the Update tab This is where it goes off the rails

3.Click the Update button

4.Select "Update database only" and click Submit

5.Wait for the progress bar to reach 100% and for a message indicating that the update has completed

13.Delete the install/ directory
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

If you set no to disable board, what was written on that redirected page? Have you changed owner/admin account permissions?
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
EVO_VV

Post by EVO_VV »

I could be mistaken but this does not sound like the correct package :-

11.Upload the contents of the phpBB3 directory from your computer to your forum's directory. You may be prompted to overwrite the remaining files. If prompted to merge or overwrite directories, choose to merge them.

As far as I'm aware with the full package there is no 'merge or overwrite' as there should not be anything on the server that is in the contents of the phpBB3 directory from your computer.
njallison

Post by njallison »

This has been resolved, my host ran the update from the command line.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

yes , those instructions are correct.

you use the full package, not the update package.
you delete all the old files except for the three folders and config.php file from the server.

you don't have to worry about deleting the folders from the upload but it doesn't hurt. you do have to delete the blank config.php file from the upload so that it does not overwrite the old one.

remember, uploading a folder of the same name as one on the server will not overwrite that folder or any files inside it unless they have the exact same filename. for instance, some of the new phpbb folders have index.htm and htaccess files in them. those new ones will overwrite the old ones of the same name but not any others.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

njallison wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:55 am This has been resolved, my host ran the update from the command line.
So it was their fault. They just wouldn't admit to it.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”