Marketplace extension

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Marketplace extension

Post by Mick »

Getting a PayPal business account would go part way to it. It would be a hell of an undertaking considering the security aspect alone, constant vigilance would be required, it's not a static and, as can be seen, no-one has offered to take it up. Then there's GDPR.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

like I said, much quicker and simpler to just add a marketplace/classifed script to your site. link it to phpbb if you have a reason to discuss things at your marketplace. that is how most people do it to begin with and it seems to work much better that way.

luck,
robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Hartenheer
Name: Willem Hartman

Post by Hartenheer »

Mick wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:39 pm Getting a PayPal business account would go part way to it. It would be a hell of an undertaking considering the security aspect alone, constant vigilance would be required, it's not a static and, as can be seen, no-one has offered to take it up. Then there's GDPR.
You write about a marketplace.
I mean an ad page. You do not need a payment there

That's why I did not understand why it was so difficult. :oops:
Sorry English is not my native language :oops:
regards: Willem

https://bierfijnproevers.nl/bierforum
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Somebody to post a link to a board which have a marketplace in action (it doesn't matter if phpBB or what not).

And where to lurk at it without registering.

I mean a Board, not a site with a script of sort like magento or the likes.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
DTMWC

Post by DTMWC »

Boom.
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

.. together with this I guess https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/tapatal ... arketplace

I don't see this that hard thanks to all of the code we already have in action here.

.. yeah, just a couple of hundred of hours of work more. :lol: :geek:
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

3Di wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:24 pm .. together with this I guess https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/tapatal ... arketplace

I don't see this that hard thanks to all of the code we already have in action here.

Which is why I asked when you came out with your ultimate points, are you going to add events to that? A point marketplace could be made, and if points could be bought with paypal/coin through some other helper extension, then you could have a good marketplace, especially if some sort of "other" points were made that you could only buy or something.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

Toxyy wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:43 pm
3Di wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:24 pm .. together with this I guess https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/tapatal ... arketplace

Which is why I asked when you came out with your ultimate points, are you going to add events to that? A point marketplace could be made, and if points could be bought with paypal/coin through some other helper extension, then you could have a good marketplace, especially if some sort of "other" points were made that you could only buy or something.
Ultimate points is not an extension made by us (phpbbstudio), there are no plans to add events for it either.
We got to add a custom karma/points sytem to it as per the customer request.. and a lot more.

The public version published here, as per the above link, is about 300 commits behind the private repo where we are working on it.

http://prntscr.com/k6jtxb http://prntscr.com/k6ju48 (still wip http://prntscr.com/k6juen )

At the end of all, even if we can use a lot of its code to create a true marketplace that's something not planned.

As david63 said..
david63 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:10 am As an extension developer my approach is that I have to not only have the time to create the extension (and in some cases you can be talking several hundred hours) but also, more importantly, the interest in that particular extension, and this is how the majority of extension developers approach creating an extension. Also the attitude of some users in how they think an extension should work, or features that it should have, does little to encourage the creation of extensions.
..which I quoted since I do totally agree with him.
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

It just reminded me of RPG Inferno, for anyone who fiddled with Invisionfree, a lot. I see requests now and again for some sort of gamification, or a point based marketplace, or just a plain marketplace, etc. It would have to be configured yeah but I figured since the points were already there, adding a point marketplace would be the first step, then the second step would be to add some sort of paypal or crypto gateway to buy the sites currency, or a secondary "members only" currency like a lot of mobile games are doing nowadays, or something like that.

I understand, it was merely my speculation for an approach to make a marketplace based upon past techniques and an already available extension :)
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
vipaka

Post by vipaka »

I feel compelled to comment after reading some of the (naive) comments on here...

I taught myself to code thinking "it'll be simple, the extension I want can't be that hard" with the same mentality I'm seeing on here. I don't regret it but, for the record, it took YEARS. Sure, after a few *months* of learning, you'll be able to do some copy-pasta that you barely understand and maybe make something do what you want it to, but it will likely have unintended side effects (bugs), not have any security, not be performant at all, and you'll likely have to scale back on the features you wanted for it initially because you just won't know enough to make them the way you originally envisioned. And that is best case scenario, because a large amount of people who try to learn programming just give up completely (it has one of the highest dropout/fail rates of any college major) because of the difficulty curve. Just some (hard-earned) wisdom from experience, feel free to ignore it though...

That aside, to the point of why developers aren't working on this...I don't think it matters at all how many people want something, or how popular it might be, considering that no one currently has any interest in spending their spare time making it for free. Popularity and demand only matter when there is something worth monetary value on the line. There is zero incentive (and seems like motivation as well) to build such an extension right now. Until that changes, it won't get made unless you make it yourself because right now, the cost at an average developer salary to make an extension like this is too high to reasonably expect from anyone for a project like this, and no one seems inspired to make it out of their own generosity considering the scale/time requirements for such a project.

I agree that you would be better off just getting a framework designed for such market transactions and integrating it with phpbb. I don't know why no one has name-dropped any of them yet, but here are some ideas: Magento, Shopify, Drupal...if you're looking for something more along an ad/classifieds system, there are third party systems for that too. Wordpress, OpenClassifieds, ClassiAds
If you went ahead and installed one of those guys, then hooked it up (separately) to a phpbb forum even if it was by something as easy as just a link in the navigation, you'd basically be most of the way there to having a forum tied to a market site. I believe there are existing integrations available for one or more of the above already within phpbb, just maybe not 3.2 (but if you feel strongly enough to learn to code for this project, maybe start there). I hope that helps.
Curious about my work? See it for yourself.
johnnytype2

Post by johnnytype2 »

i think everyone is over engineering this,

all we want is an extension where users can place ads and pay a flat fee (say £5) to place an add in that section using the paypal api. There is no GDPR element, no complication transaction handling etc....

I know one of the largest car forums doing just that and doing it for years, the scripts exist just no one want to post them free or not.
:::EARLYBAY::: for fans of low light vans, 1967-1972
david63

Post by david63 »

johnnytype2 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:36 am I know one of the largest car forums doing just that and doing it for years
If you are referring to the Garage MOD for phpBB 3.0 then that was one of the largest MODs that was written and took years.
johnnytype2 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:36 am i think everyone is over engineering this
I don't think that anyone is "over engineering" this. This is not a simple extension to create and there are already scripts out there that will do what is wanted without re-inventing the wheel.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I'm aware this may not be what you want but this popped up the other day: [Module] phpBB Forum Integration To Prestashop 1.3/1.4/1.5/1.6/1.7.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
johnnytype2

Post by johnnytype2 »

david63 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:20 am
johnnytype2 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:36 am I know one of the largest car forums doing just that and doing it for years
If you are referring to the Garage MOD for phpBB 3.0 then that was one of the largest MODs that was written and took years.
johnnytype2 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:36 am i think everyone is over engineering this
I don't think that anyone is "over engineering" this. This is not a simple extension to create and there are already scripts out there that will do what is wanted without re-inventing the wheel.

no im not referring to garage mod.... i posted the link a few answers ago....

there is no way the site owner would release the code as the site is too sucessful.

Ive said time and time again i would pay a hefty premium to have something similar.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/

no money changes hands other than for the placement of an ad. no gdpr no security needed as patment is through paypal....

it seems this is too hard to understand? there is no mod out there that is even remotely similar.
:::EARLYBAY::: for fans of low light vans, 1967-1972
Duane 3NE 2NR

Post by Duane 3NE 2NR »

Is there any way for Wordpress to read the phpBB database and parse the post data to one of these Wordpress themes?
Wordpress has some pretty good Classified Ads themes such as Classipress and Directories Pro.

I know there are/were cross-posting Wordpress & phpBB plugins such as BridgeDD Pro.
https://tt.wordpress.org/plugins/bridgedd/

There are user integration plugins for Wordpress & phpBB such as W3all
https://tt.wordpress.org/plugins/wp-w3a ... tegration/

Is it possible to create a plugin that does both and includes payment for "boosted" or "highlighted" ads via PayPal?

Return to “Extension Requests”