How to upgrade to 3.2 from 3.1

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
david63

Re: How to upgrade to 3.2 from 3.1

Post by david63 »

garfy wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:25 am you rely on backups
No you don't.

You have your own backup regime that you are in control of - it is all part of running any site.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
garfy

Post by garfy »

so can you tell me how you export your databases? Because with bluehost when i do phpmyadmin export i ALWAYS get timeout or the db is broken....
please explein the best practice to keep backups
david63

Post by david63 »

garfy wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:46 am please explein the best practice to keep backups
There are many good backup utilities and tutorials available via a Google search. I would suggest that you find the one that is most appropriate for your circumstances.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
garfy

Post by garfy »

you see again a vague nonspecific answer.....thank you for nothing....next time dont bother answering
Ibedejo

Post by Ibedejo »

Bluehost_FAQs wrote: Bluehost Web Hosting Help

Automatic Backup Frequency

We do offer complimentary backups for our customers. They are created on a daily, weekly and monthly basis. These backups are not guaranteed in any way. We highly recommend all Bluehost customers create and manage their own backups.
=> "These backups are not guaranteed in any way. We highly recommend all Bluehost customers create and manage their own backups. " ...
garfy

Post by garfy »

AGAIN and this is the last time I will say this....
how to manage database backups by yourself if each time you try to export the database from phpmyadmin the datase is missing 50% of files....or the process gets interrupted....or I get timeout error.....
I tries using ssh with putty, same problem....

this is my last time i explain this....it is not my fault....i want to make backups myself but Bluehost system is so messed up and is full of bugs it does ot let me do that....
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

garfy wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:46 am so can you tell me how you export your databases? Because with bluehost when i do phpmyadmin export i ALWAYS get timeout or the db is broken....
Try to do only a few tables on the same time.

Or use a other program like Adminer
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
Ibedejo

Post by Ibedejo »

Did you draw the DB backup yourself, did you do it correctly, did you make sure the backup process ran flawlessly from start to the very end, did you verify/check the backup ... did you really do all of this prior to your initial attempt to upgrade?

Yes or no?
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

garfy wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:46 am so can you tell me how you export your databases? Because with bluehost when i do phpmyadmin export i ALWAYS get timeout or the db is broken....
As a website owner, you are responsible for the integrity of you data, so you need to know how, what and when to backup on a regular base.
Never, never, never rely only on your hosts backups (unless you have a detailed contract with them to create and restore (in case) a full set of backups for your site - and even then ...)

So:
It depends on the size of your database how you can make backups.
With phpmyadmin, you can deselect certain tables, so those won't be backuped. I would recommend to exclude the search-tables from the backup, because they can easily been rebuild with phpBB. You need only the structure of the tables, not the content.
If you still have issues with timeouts, just make it in chunks, and backup the biggest tables (which would be posts and two or three others) separate.

But it is not only the database, it's also the complete file structure which need a backup, otherwise you can loose all uploaded data like attachments and avatars and all your extension and extra style files.
See Knowledge Base - Transferring Your Board to a New Host or Domain for a idea what to backup.

There are some other database backuptools out there, bigdump is mentioned in the article, but as written doesn't work with php 7.x. Another is mysqldumper which has a community port to work with php 7.x, just use your preferred online search engine to find more informations.
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

I know you do not like hearing this but the problem happened because you did not follow the instructions EXACTLY, and you did not make any backups yourself BEFORE attempting an upgrade. Your site (from the little I have seen) has had additions to some style files as well as extensions added. Only YOU know what you have done and where you have done it.

The backup question is not easily answered as my method may not suit you which is why you were asked to look around. "Theres more than one way to skin a cat"

BUT for a one off backup phpBB 3.x.x. has a tool built into the core.
screenshot_316.jpg
To fully recover your site you need the following
  1. Recent database backup
  2. BigDump
  3. Full set of phpBB 3.1.x files
Then read the following KB (I know you are not transferring a site, but this will tell you what to do)

Transferring Your Board to a New Host or Domain

... and remember, its not our fault that neither you nor BlueHost keep regular backups. YOU are the site owner, its YOUR job to keep backups.

Also remember that everyone who helps here does so for free in their spare time. Please be patient.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

BigDump doesn’t work with PHP 7 which is a huge shame.

Maybe somebody could have a look at it and get it working with 7?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
garfy

Post by garfy »

by miracle I managed to save my site.....BLUEHOST FAILED at every instance......their backups and support team are so unskilled......
we are looking for a better host right now.....

one more thing....
HOW TO CHECK if the database that you export is whole, and the part of it is not misssing? How do you check that?
With Bluehost every time I exported database half of it was missing and I thought well I have backups and I am safe....then when you want to use it it fails miserably....
</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

phpbb_zebra is the last table, if that one is present, your database should be complete..
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

Before you attempt the move from 3.1.x to 3.2.x again please READ ALL OF THE ADVICE in this topic.

Then when you have read it, if you are at all unsure ASK. Moving from 3.1.x to 3.2.x is a simple process as long as you do it in the correct sequence and NEVER miss a step.

Also (as has been pointed out several times) NEVER rely on any host to keep backups for you. That is your job.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”