GDPR Request to be forgotten

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
DeletedUser59763
I am too lazy to register

GDPR Request to be forgotten

Post by DeletedUser59763 »

Can someone please tell me how to get in touch with the owners of this board.

I have already used the contact us link, and sent PM's however my requests have been ignored.

The 20 day deadline is fast approaching for GDPR compliance, after which I will have to refer this to the EU GDPR council.
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Re: GDPR Request to be forgotten

Post by Marshalrusty »

Hi,

I don't believe I have an email from you regarding this.

This website is run entirely out of the United States, and the GDPR is a European law. More importantly, Article 17 applies specifically to "personal data", not all content generated by you on a particular website.

Having said that, we are more than happy to comply with reasonable privacy requests, regardless of whether compelled to do so by law. Please feel free to PM me with more information and I will be happy to remove anything that ties you personally to this account.
🇺🇦 Made in Ukraine, exported to the USA 🇺🇸

Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
david63

Post by david63 »

aduk85 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:32 am I will have to refer this to the EU GDPR council
There is no such body
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Ibedejo

Post by Ibedejo »

Marshalrusty wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:37 am This website is run entirely our of the United States
This is, as you should know, at best a secondary consideration as far as the aplicability of the GDPR in the case of phpbb.com is concerned ...
It doesn't matter where your servers are located: it's where the site owners reside and which audience they address - why else didn't FB just transfer all user accounts to US servers instead of only those of non-EU residents ...
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Ibedejo wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:14 amaplicability of the GDPR
Please don’t start another GDPR debate, there’s a large topic here on the subject where you can discuss the whys and wherefores.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Ibedejo

Post by Ibedejo »

Nice to see, that you singled me out ...

Don't worry, I got the message.
Ger

Post by Ger »

Marshalrusty wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:37 am This website is run entirely our of the United States, and the GDPR is a European law. More importantly, Article 17 applies specifically to "personal data", not all content generated by you on a particular website.
i do not intend to start another debate on this, but you are wrong here.

phpBB Limited is a British company as you probably know being the director for almost 10 years now. The EU has considered the possibility that EU companies can setup their servers worldwide and they don't want companies to bypass the law that way. So being a European company that also (among others) targets a European audience, you have to comply with European - more specific British - law.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

david63 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:41 amThere is no such body
First he means a representative and point of contact for GDPR obligations (Article 27), which must exist for phpbb.com, then the national Data Protection Officer. I'm not used to legal terms as well, but I know citizens do have persons to contact.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
noth

Post by noth »

The 20 day deadline is fast approaching for GDPR compliance
I can't wait for the 20 day deadline to pass

We can then read of the forums facing massive fines for not entirely complying with GDPR

what do you think the top fine will be? :lol:
Ger

Post by Ger »

GDPR is already in force for about 2 months now.

For the right to be forgotten it's easy to delete a user and (optional) install my Quoted Where extension to remove/replace any references in quotes. However; for most users on forums it's not common practice to use real names, so that part of GDPR doesn't apply. Even for me; "Ger" is short for my real first name, but since it's a real common first name in The Netherlands, it cannot be directly related to me as a unique person.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

noth wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:16 amwhat do you think the top fine will be?
“ICO” wrote:There are two tiers of administrative fines that can be levied:

1) Up to €10 million, or 2% annual global turnover – whichever is higher.
2) Up to €20 million, or 4% annual global turnover – whichever is higher.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
noth

Post by noth »

any examples of forums being fined for non-compliance? I mean, would it be enough to put the forum out of operation?

I read the newspapers and look at google news, I have seen no examples so far
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Dude, even the lawsuits against Google, Instagram, WhatsApp and Facebook haven't made it yet to a decision despite being filed only hours after GDPR got active. So: no, of course. No forum (or BBS) yet has been fined.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
noth

Post by noth »

thanks for that, the websites you name seem accused of "Forced Consent"
The new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is supposed to give users a free choice, whether they agree to data usage or not. The opposite feeling spread on the screens of many users: tons of “consent boxes”
so it seems with the initial "prosecutions," that “consent boxes” are the issue?

I can't see any phpBB Admin coming within this realm. how would forced “consent boxes” arise within phpBB? seems we are not within this definition (so far)
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Post by Kailey »

If everyone would like to discuss GDPR and enforcement/fines/etc, please use the main topic. This tpoic has been marked solved so I'll go ahead and close it to prevent further separate discussions.
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”