The biggest mistake admin & Mods make

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Methen

The biggest mistake admin & Mods make

Post by Methen »

This post is related to flame wars and the one of biggest mistakes I see that Admins & Mods make, I am member of a lot forums, and I myself have been a victim of this type of stuff many times...

This is how it usually goes someone will go as a question on a forum it can be a very simple question then you start to get reply's to that question that very easily turn in to a flame war, and what happens the person who asked the question is usually banned or has their post locked when all they did was ask a pure and simple question, The mistake that admins and mods make is not getting rid of the people who turned it into a flame war in the first place, these are the people that is causing all the problems not the person asking the question...
Last edited by Methen on Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: The biggest mistake admin & Mods make

Post by KevC »

Very often though, users are not aware of either past history of the OP or any PMs that have gone on between them and the team members. At the end of the day you have to respect the decision of the site team.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff »

To add to what Kevin said, one of the reasons a topic may be locked is to prevent the flame war from continuing.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.
Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 »

The biggest mistake that I've seen admins make is starting a topic in the site news/Announcements forum every time someone get banned.

I seen it happen several times and quite frankly enough I told the person who got banned and that person was like "WTF?"

Back on topic, to add what was said before, some of the things that happens may not ever make it into the public area of a forum- example a fight could start in a private part of the forum and it got that bad that that person got banned.
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
noth

Post by noth »

the public area of a forum?

oh good point, ummm what about this forum for example, as many other forums have a public area of a forum, the implication being there must be a non- public area of a forum I would like to know why phpBB forums have never offered the general users here a non-public area of a forum, I have thought many times this would be of great value
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

KevC wrote: Mon May 12, 2014 2:37 pm Very often though, users are not aware of either past history of the OP or any PMs that have gone on between them and the team members. At the end of the day you have to respect the decision of the site team.
Not using sufficient logging and checking those logs when moderating is a big one
noth

Post by noth »

worse than that is Moderators failing to enagage in the site's moderator area.

When I made my first phpBB forums I saw moderator engagement in the site's moderator area as an obvious component in supervision of the site.

Years later I saw Moderators who were not interested in ever posting there :cry: very strange
DTMWC

Post by DTMWC »

I would say admins not keeping the forums content in order,

A few months ago I was looking at a supporters board for Premier League club, the main forum labelled Football Talk had a lot more topics about politics, the news and other stuff than football... The off topic section of the forum was almost empty.

I have a bit of the old OCD but if you were looking at that football forum and then look at this forum where topics are moved regularly - you appreciate how keeping the content in order not only makes it easier for members to find things but also potentially gets guests to register.

Obviously it's a bit different with the phpBB board as it's official, but for football boards where there are probably 4 or 5 the same all trying to attract new members organisation is important.

So after going on to look at a football match discussion I was side tracked in to joining the Monster Raving Loony Party instead. 🕺🏻
Aidy

Post by Aidy »

Admins/moderators which like to ban people for silly reasons, Web Hosting Talk is a perfect example with their trigger fingers.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

Aidy wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:43 pm Admins/moderators which like to ban people for silly reasons, Web Hosting Talk is a perfect example with their trigger fingers.
"silly" is a rather subjective adjective.
what you think is a silly reason could be the absolute worst thing in the world to me...

robert
Aidy

Post by Aidy »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:00 pm
Aidy wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:43 pm Admins/moderators which like to ban people for silly reasons, Web Hosting Talk is a perfect example with their trigger fingers.
"silly" is a rather subjective adjective.
what you think is a silly reason could be the absolute worst thing in the world to me...

robert
"Silly" is quite conservative, many users i've known have been banned for very petty reasons.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

Both my wife and I have been banned from different forums for reasons we still do not know. :roll:
david63

Post by david63 »

I have never knowingly been banned from any board - yet. :P :P :P
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

david63 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:59 am I have never knowingly been banned from any board - yet. :P :P :P
you must not be doing something right.

:lol:
robert
david63

Post by david63 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:52 pm you must not be doing something right.
To paraphrase Grouch Marks "I don't want to be a member of any board that would have me as a member" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”