[CDB] Digests 3.2.11

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
MarkDHamill

Re: [RC] Digests 3.2.7

Post by MarkDHamill »

When you update the digests extension, you overwrite all the files.

Not sure what the solution here is, but one thing you can check is to look at your board language and if it is English change it to German. This is because the language variable is written in the HTML version of the digest:

Code: Select all

<html lang="{{ S_USER_LANG }}">
Let me know if that solves the problem.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Covers through phpBB 3.3.7. eBook and paper versions available.
whocarez

Post by whocarez »

Hi, this wasn't the solution. But I figured out, that post_text gets somehow a doubled encoding.
So in any case this is the header:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="de_x_sie">
<head>
	<meta charset="utf-8">
this is not correct, because de_x_sie (German (Formal Honorifics)) means only something for PHPBB, but this is an ignorable mistake. More important is the charset and this is by default utf-8. Switching the board language shouldn't be the solution, because we have also Russian and Ukrainian as board languages and sometimes texts with Cyrillic characters.

'ü' is somehow encoded in 'post_text' like that: &Atilde;&frac14;. So I suggest, that somewhere 'post_text' lacks a html_entity_decode or there is a double encoding via htmlentities, but I couldn't find it.
And to be sure: all the titles are correct shown.

This digest mail is a standard html mail. Images are not embedded and "iframe,video" are excluded tags. Maybe the last function is causing this error?

If you want, I can provide you with two example mails. One with correct displaying of all these Umlauts in titles and text and one with displaying Umlauts correctly only in titles.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Well, that was worth a shot.

It's most likely something to do with html_entity_decode(). There is an encoding argument that can be used. You can try ISO-8859-1, ISO-8859-5, ISO-8859-15, cp1251 and cp1252 for this parameter. Probably best to try this approach first.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Covers through phpBB 3.3.7. eBook and paper versions available.
whocarez

Post by whocarez »

Hm, maybe I don't understand it correctly, but post_text and post_subject are saved in the database in Unicode and we want the digest to be send in utf-8, what means this is Unicode. So, as far as I understand it, there is no transformation necessary. Cyrillic and Umlauts are saved as they are and can be put in this HTML mail without problems. If necessary the php mailer makes a mime message of it and that's it, isn't it?

If I would define one charset for html_entity_decode - for example iso8859-15, that would destroy other texts and subjects with Cyrillic letters, so that can't be a solution for the whole situation or did I get something wrong?
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

At this point I was just suggesting trying a few things. Yes, UTF-8 is stored in the database. post_subject though has a utf8_unicode_ci collation but that should make no difference. Something is tripping it up but since you are the first user to report this problem it's probably something kind of odd. I assume this is not a text digest because it uses strip_tags().

Outside of digests, I have noticed issues like this working with clients with forums that were originally in phpBB2 using ISO-8859-1 encoding. Forcing Windows characters with meta tags often solved the problem, although the real issue was that many columns were never really converted to UTF-8.

It may be that some sort of additional HTTP header is needed.
whocarez

Post by whocarez »

Yes it is a html digest. The database tables are utf8_bin and they were never something in a ISO or Windows charset, because this board used from the beginning both Cyrillic letters and German Umlauts, so utf8 was the only option.
In phpbb_posts post_text and post_subject are saved in utf8_unicode_ci.

I tried to change the html language to something like "de", but this makes no difference, because in the same mail the none ASCII characters are encoded in two different ways for titles and the post_text.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

On my development forum, a vanilla installation of phpBB, the collation for the post_text column is utf8_bin.
whocarez

Post by whocarez »

Sorry for my late response, but I had only today time to make some test mails. So, I could determine, that excluding html tags is causing this error and it doesn't matter which tags are defined in options.

With stripping some html tags I get something like this:

<div class="content"><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">
<html><body><blockquote class="uncited"><div>Heute l&Atilde;&curren;ngst aus der Mode, geh&Atilde;&para;rte in der Sowjetunion auf jedes Bett eine Tagesdecke. In den M&Atilde;&frac14;ll m&Atilde;&frac14;ssen die Decken trotzdem nicht: Sie eigenen sich hervorragend f&Atilde;&frac14;r den Strand. </div></blockquote></body></html>
</div>
without it looks like this:

<div class="content"><blockquote class="uncited"><div>Heute längst aus der Mode, gehörte in der Sowjetunion auf jedes Bett eine Tagesdecke. In den Müll müssen die Decken trotzdem nicht: Sie eigenen sich hervorragend für den Strand. </div></blockquote></div>
											</div>
So not the update to 3.2.7 caused this bug, but the use of this "strip html tags"-option, which you by chance integrated more or less on my request :-).

So, I made two changes in cron/task/digests.php. First to get rid of DOCTYPE and the other html wrapper I followed this:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/487 ... ml-wrapper

and made these changes:

//							$dom->loadHTML($post_text);
							$dom->loadHTML($post_text, LIBXML_HTML_NOIMPLIED | LIBXML_HTML_NODEFDTD);
Following this suggestions to get utf-8 correctly formated:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/821 ... 0_20675396

I made the following:

//							$post_text = $dom->saveHTML();
							$post_text = utf8_decode($dom->saveHTML($dom->documentElement));

After these changes everything seems to work!
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Excellent troubleshooting! Some of these options are very obscure. I've made the patches to my code and they will show up in the next version. As is my practice, I have given you credit in the inline comments. Good work!
MarkDHamill

Digests 3.2.8 released

Post by MarkDHamill »

The extension is still not approved yet, but there is a new version 3.2.8. It fixes one bug I caught about the same time the extension review team found it that caused digests to fail when a digest was requested to include a table of contents.

Also fixed the Unicode bug found by whocarez. Great analysis! When examining this code I realized it could be made more efficient, so now it loads the post text into a document tree only once.

I removed fancy language file changes that used sprintf() to embed certain dynamic information, mostly out of laziness. I'm sure it can be done the way the extension review team wants but it was more of a challenge than I wanted to take on considering I was using the $display_vars approach to showing fields and help information in the ACP. Laziness and some exasperation with bugs in the migrator in phpBB 3.2.2 also prompted me to remove code that used to work that removed modules for digests left over in the database if the digests mod was installed previously. These modules should be manually removed before installing the extensions using instructions in the README.md to avoid a likely installation error.

You can see a full list of changes since version 3.2.7 here.

See the first post for a download link.
Last edited by MarkDHamill on Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Re: [RC] Digests 3.2.8

Post by 3Di »

MarkDHamill wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:44 pm These modules should be manually removed before installing the extensions using instructions in the README.md to avoid a likely installation error
At the end of all, good decision IMHO. Usually who upgrades gets rid of anything via STK as per the KB article.
MarkDHamill wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:44 pm You can see a full list of changes since version 3.2.7 here.
May I suggest the right link?
https://github.com/MarkDHamill/digests/ ... .7...3.2.8
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Thanks. Corrected the link.
kamaleon

Post by kamaleon »

Nice extension, but how does it do the mailing? With the server mail?
This is a test signature. I hope you love it :D
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

It hands off the mailing to phpBB's mail library, documented in /includes/functions_messenger.php.
jan_2017

Post by jan_2017 »

Can I change the appearance of the email content?

Bye Jan

Return to “Extensions in Development”