SEO on other Pages ?

Need some custom code changes to the phpBB core simple enough that you feel doesn't require an extension? Then post your request here so that community members can provide some assistance.

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
mrix2000

SEO on other Pages ?

Post by mrix2000 »

Hello all, why is it when looking on other pages like faq and rules that the Page title is the wrong way around ?
Whenever a forum topic / reply is created it shows page title first followed by the main site, ie forum post would be titled "Bait" so the title would end up Bait - Sea Fishing which is ideal SEO 8-)
The trouble is when I create a custom page titled ie " Bait " it ends up as " Sea Fishing Angling Bait " this sounds ok but for SEO I have found the other way around works better and gets a more relevant results.
Is there a way to swap these page and main title positions around like they are for the titles generated in forum posts ?
Thanks all
mrix
Last edited by Kailey on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Re: SEO on other Pages ?

Post by Kailey »

Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
mrix2000

Post by mrix2000 »

Sorry I do not follow ? is this page you linked to a page that has been tweaked regarding what I have asked in my question :?
do I copy and replace all that code into the relevant file ?

Thanks
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader

Post by Kailey »

That section is the line that would need modified to have the page title to your liking. It should look like this:

Code: Select all

<title><!-- IF UNREAD_NOTIFICATIONS_COUNT -->({UNREAD_NOTIFICATIONS_COUNT}) <!-- ENDIF --><!-- IF S_IN_MCP -->{L_MCP} - <!-- ELSEIF S_IN_UCP -->{L_UCP} - <!-- ENDIF -->{PAGE_TITLE} - {SITENAME}</title>

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
mrix2000

Post by mrix2000 »

Hello I have tried this replacement code but it changes everything including the forum posts and the front index page which I wish to remain the same :?
Its only the additional pages like the faq and rules pages I wish to have this change, at the moment phpbb3 uses two different methods for the title between the forum posts and these pages.
hope you can help
thanks
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader

Post by Kailey »

Can you perhaps provide screenshots of what the code produces vs what you expect it to look like? I may be misunderstanding you.

mrix2000

Post by mrix2000 »

Hello, I will use my sea fishing forum as an example......

Normally the front page has a title of Sea Fishing Angling - Forum Home which is totally fine :)
The forum topics have it around the other way which is also fine ie here is such a topic Keeping bait alive. - Sea Fishing Angling

Now the problem I have at the moment which is not good for SEO are the pages like......

f.a.q title is Sea Fishing Angling - Frequently Asked Questions
rules title is Sea Fishing Angling - Rules

The big problem I have is that I installed a Mod which works great to create sub pages, here is one https://www.sea-fishing.org/sea-fish
But it always places the Sea Fishing Angling first in the title which is really bad for SEO, I want these sub pages to display the other way around.

I did contact the mod developer and he explained its the phpbb3 that is doing it and from checking the sub pages like the rules page and the f.a.q these pages are also showing Sea Fishing Angling the main title first, my forum is here https://www.sea-fishing.org

Thanks for the help
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader

Post by Kailey »

I'm sorry, I'm not entirely sure what to tell you. The code I provided definitely works (I just checked). Did you clear the cache after making the change? Also, phpBB is just fine out of the box for SEO. The "tips" you may see on other websites are usually working off old information.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

mrix2000 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:25 pm Now the problem I have at the moment which is not good for SEO are the pages like......

f.a.q title is Sea Fishing Angling - Frequently Asked Questions
rules title is Sea Fishing Angling - Rules
If the intention is for SEO purposes you should be blocking these pages via robots.txt, in particular the FAQ. Each phpBB site on the internet is going to have that page and any search engine is immediately going to dismiss it as duplicate content.

That said the changes Kinerty suggested should produce "Page Title - Sitename" on every page generated by phpBB except the user and moderator control panels.

You can add switches for specific pages.

<title><!-- IF S_INDEX -->Custom title for Forum Index - <!-- ELSE -->{PAGE_TITLE} - <!-- ENDIF -->{SITENAME}</title>
If you wanted to edit the contents of {PAGE_TITLE} you need to do that in the PHP files. At the bottom on Index.php for example you will fine this line:

$page_title = ($config['board_index_text'] !== '') ? $config['board_index_text'] : $user->lang['INDEX'];
Change to:

$page_title = 'Your custom title';
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

kinerity wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:41 pmThe "tips" you may see on other websites are usually working off old information
More likely heresay, ‘phpBB out of the box SEO’ has been good since 3.0 (2007?) as far as I’m aware.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
mrix2000

Post by mrix2000 »

Hi all, most of the SEO is correct until it comes to pages like f.a.q and rules etc.
I am quite happy with the site main index page title and quite happy with the pages titled within the forum topics and posts.
Unfortunately the modification Extension I use called "Pages" runs off the system which the f.a.q and rules runs from so the sites title is always being placed first but its the page title should be first etc. I suspect these page titles also run through the same title layout as the index page ? if I change these the sites index title would also be back to front ?

I will try and look through the information you so kindly supplied 8-)

Thanks

Return to “phpBB Custom Coding”