Image upload problem

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
AmigoJack

Re: Image upload problem

Post by AmigoJack »

• "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
Geepers
Name: Glenn

Post by Geepers »

Notepad should be set right unless it's changed during an update....will check tonight.
I'm thinking there are bigger issues here. New members aren't showing in the notification area at the bottom if the board now either?
Wondering if I need a complete reinstall....and how I'd do that without affecting the current set up.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Notepad is not Notepad++, the former will always write a BOM. First solve this problem, which should then solve your picture problem.

After that, create one or more new topic(s) for your other problems.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
Geepers

Post by Geepers »

Yes it's Notepad++
And it seems new members are showing in notifications, so that's not an issue :oops:
error screenshot3.png
Geepers

Post by Geepers »

So if I edit an image on the phone and choose "auto" for instance, I can upload the image.
Doing the edit does seem to reduce the file size though....so maybe thst is the issue.
Screenshot_2018-08-29-20-52-38.png
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

That's a PNG, not a JPEG. Why do you ignore what has been diagnosed already?
Geepers

Post by Geepers »

I'm not ignoring anything !
Am I supposed to check what type of image the phone is taking every time a take a picture with it??
alright, so the phone must change the file type when I edit an image within the phone.
None of this is helping with why an image can't be uploaded directly from my device, and it was fine on my last two boards that weren't 3.2.*
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Geepers wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:20 amI'm not ignoring anything !
The linked topic is about JPEG files, and there I concluded the behaviour is a bug. I also gave a workaround for bigger JPEG files, but you failed at applying it.

You also didn't look up your server logs at what is causing your white page, nor did you respond to editing the file correctly, or at least restoring the original. Instead you threw in issues unrelated to your initial problem.

That's far from "not anyhing".

You are not supposed to check file formats, you are supposed to read texts and to not mix up different things. If you have problems in understanding particular portions of a text then point at them precisely - otherwise "none of this is helping" is a lie. The JPEG you linked to can be uploaded to 3.1 and earlier because those had a different (but ultimately more flawed) picture dimensions recognition.
Geepers

Post by Geepers »

I did try what you said for a fix and it did result in a White screen.
I did say there was nothing showing in "Errors" on the server.
error screenshot4.png
I never said I couldn't upload jpeg...I said I couldn't upload an image from my phone...I now find an edited image will upload...big whoop.
Get your facts right before telling me off
Obviously I'm no frigging expert on this shit or I wouldn't be asking here.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Geepers wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:44 am I did try what you said for a fix and it did result in a White screen.
I did say there was nothing showing in "Errors" on the server.
The likelihood of having no errors at all or none appearing when you see white screen like that are slim to none. This is likely a server configuration setup to not log errors. You can open the ACP, go to maintenance tab and then click the php information on the left. Under the core heading find the value for log_errors, this should be set to on. Find the value for error_log, this is the location of the error log so you can download it directly.

Find the value for error_reporting, this should be a number and sets the level of error reporting. Post it here.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Geepers

Post by Geepers »

Under ACP/General/Php information
error screenshot5.png
error screenshot6.png
error_reporting Logical Value 24567 Master Value 32767
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

you are looking at the phpbb error log in the admin panel. you need to be looking in your hosting control panel for the error logs for the server.

try looking in the ftp for a file named error log in your main site directory. not the phpbb directory unless they are the same.
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Geepers wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:06 pm Under ACP/General/Php information
Just so it's clear that page displays the configuration of PHP on your server, it's doesn't have anything to do directly with phpBB but can affect it. The error logs are part of your server configuration and once again have nothing to do directly with phpBB but any errors produced by phpBB will be written to them.

The phpBB error log in your second image will not display php errors but things related to phpBB, if email fails to send for example. It's rare to see many things there.

The value for error_log should be a directory on the server accessible to you through FTP, setting that value to a directory also insures they are all written to the same file.

The value you have is relative, when there is an error in the script it's logged to a file error_log in the directory of the script that had the error so they can be all over the place. You can check the directory of the file you uploaded for it.

I'd suggest contacting your host and have them set a path for error_log so you only need to look at one file.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Geepers

Post by Geepers »

Well I've been in contact with my hosting company.
They put me onto this:
https://members.panthur.com.au/knowledg ... gging.html
Having done that, I still can't view on the URL they suggest?
But having downloaded the error log from CPanel/File Manager..
I do see a lot of these error notes (amongst others):
[26-Aug-2018 21:08:34 Australia/Sydney] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '*', expecting ',' or ';' in /home/mydomain/public_html/vintagehondamotorcycle.com/vendor/marc1706/fast-image-size/lib/Type/TypeJpeg.php on line 18
Line 16 to 20

Code: Select all

/** @var int JPEG max header size. Headers can be bigger, but we'll abort
	 *			going through the header after this */
	const JPEG_MAX_HEADER_SIZE = 124576;

/** @var string JPEG header */
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Attach a copy of your (online) file, that way we make sure we see it unfiltered. And we'd see everything, since the first three lines of your post do not contain any potential mistake.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”