Only run php function if user is logged in?

Need some custom code changes to the phpBB core simple enough that you feel doesn't require an extension? Then post your request here so that community members can provide some assistance.

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
terrylb

Re: Only run php function if user is logged in?

Post by terrylb »

Thank you for the followup Brf. The php and js was written by someone else way back in 2014 and has been working until moving to 3.2. I'm just trying to maintain the functionality. I appreciate your suggestion that the orthodox way to do this is via an extension. I was hoping this could be solved quickly, even if it's not the ideal way, versus what looks like a week or two to figure out how to write an extension.
kasimi
Former Team Member

Post by kasimi »

This should work.

PHP:

Code: Select all

$template->assign_var('AWS_URL', append_sid($phpbb_root_path . 'aws.' . $phpEx));
HTML:

<script>
var awsUrl = '{{ AWS_URL }}';
</script>
JS:

$.ajax({ url: awsUrl,
terrylb

Post by terrylb »

Thank you kasimi, I'll give it a go.

BTW, your avatar cracks me up every time I look at it! :)
terrylb

Post by terrylb »

Unfortunately that didn't work. Adding your suggestions results in the video src attribute being stuffed with the entire forum topic html. aws.php isn't actually getting called.

As a recap, on a forum page where we post video, the ajax call in aws.js gets the video tag and posts the video filename to aws.php, which then checks to see if the user is logged in, and if so generates an AWS signed url and returns it back to ajax which stuffs it into the video src attribute. Works great in 3.1.6 and earlier.

Per your suggestion this was added to the html, /styles/prosilver/templates/overall_header.html, above the script calls to include jquery and aws.js.

<script>
var awsUrl = '{{ AWS_URL }}';
</script>
This replaced the existing line in aws.js where the url was hardcoded to "aws.php"

$.ajax({ url: awsUrl,
and this was added above the session management stuff in aws.php

$template->assign_var('AWS_URL', append_sid($phpbb_root_path . 'aws.' . $phpEx));
I'm sure it's something basic I'm missing. Any help greatly appreciated.
kasimi
Former Team Member

Post by kasimi »

terrylb wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:26 pm and this was added above the session management stuff in aws.php

The AWS_URL template variable needs to be assigned in a file that renders the page you want the AWS script to be called on, not aws.php itself. Since you've edited overall_header.html, I assume you want aws.js included on every page? You could add the template variable here. However, to not waste resources, it's recommended to only include it when actually needed.
terrylb wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:21 pm BTW, your avatar cracks me up every time I look at it! :)
:D
terrylb

Post by terrylb »

I had a strong suspicion the template call wasn't in the right place. Thank you very much kasimi, that fixed it. I agree, it should really only be included on forum posts since that's where videos live, but it's a private, very lightly used board, at most 3 simultaneous users, so I don't think the wasted resources will be a big deal. If I did change my mind, would a better place be template/posting_body.html?
kasimi
Former Team Member

Post by kasimi »

Assigning the AWS_URL template variable on every page doesn't cost much. As long as you include the aws.js script only on pages where you need it it's fine. You probably want to include it in posting_body.html, viewtopic_body.html and ucp_pm_viewmessage.html.

Return to “phpBB Custom Coding”