Control of Apperance

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.2.
jamesadrian
Name: James Adrian

Re: Control of Apperance

Post by jamesadrian »

I resized it to be 30 by 30 pixels. It still didn't work.

Must the picture be a gif?

Thank you for your help.

Jim Adrian
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

3Di wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:04 am
3Di wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:17 am Search for .site_logo in colours.css for the IMG link, in common.css to style it instead.

And pls add your last news to your very last post instead of creating a lot of new posts in a short, very short gap of time.
That's not a chat, so to speak. When people gets time and will you will get an answer. :)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

You need to use gif image or change the file extension in the colour.css file

Code: Select all

.site_logo {
	background-image: url("./images/site_logo.gif");
}
Did I helped You? Consider a donation.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
jamesadrian

Post by jamesadrian »

Thank you for this information.

Jim Adrian
Last edited by jamesadrian on Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Must be named as per the filename+ext of the picture you uploaded there! FBlogo.png
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
jamesadrian

Post by jamesadrian »

I have done it for this item, but when I look at other features, like the blue border in the index page, I can't decide which item in colours.css control the that feature. How is this done? I wish to eliminate all of the decoration other than link icons and text.

Thank you for your help.

Jim Adrian
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

when on your page where you want to change things. right click and from the right click menu choose "inspect element" if using FF browser or whatever your browser has in the right click menu.

when you do that, you should get a pop up box that shows you the html on one side and the css for whatever you clicked on , on the other side.

it will tell you what css file and what line number etc.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
jamesadrian

Post by jamesadrian »

I was able to change the color of the text "Food Chemistry at ..." with this meathod, but when I tried to change the color of the blue background around the title, inspect element it led me to this:

<div id="site-description" class="site-description">
<a id="logo" class="logo" href="./index.php" title="Board index"><span class="site_logo"></span></a>
<h1>Food Chemistry at FutureBeacon.com</h1>
<p>Food Chemistry Forum</p>
<p class="skiplink"><a href="#start_here">Skip to content</a></p>
</div>

This was the outer choice. The inner choice was similar. There is nothing pointed to in colour.css that I could change to change the background. I wish to eliminate it and let the outer background FB1,png show through.

Inspect element highlighted a line in a tables-style html source code and I seem to have no access to that html page.

Jim Adrian
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

Like this? :
fc.png
If so open colours.css and at the bottom of the file add:
.headerbar {
background-image: url(https://www.futurebeacon.com/fb1.png);
}
Did I helped You? Consider a donation.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
Lumpy Burgertushie

the html that you see in the inspector is not really the file, it is like looking at the source code of the page.

phpbb does not have normal web pages. it has css files, html template files and php code.
the php code assembles the html templates using the relevant css depending on the php code when you have clicked on a link.

so, if you want to edit html you have to go to the styles/yourstyle/template/ folder and find the relevant html file.

open it in your text editor and make your edits.

in most cases you don't need to be editing those html template files especially the prosilver ones.
if you do, then you have to redo those edits every time you update/upgrade the software.

if you are going to make a lot of changes then you should create a copy of prosilver and make your edits to those files. rename the copy to something else and install that as a custom style.

in your situation I would suggest you do some searching here in the styles database and find one that is close to what you want to begin with.

you say you want the board to look more like the rest of your site's pages.

the rest of your site's pages are all just text aligned left with that background image.

they are also not responsive at all. if you reduce the page size, the text on the right disappears.

anyway, find a style ( there are a couple of them ) that are just plain white with no colors, no images etc. download and install that style. tweak it if you want, then choose it as default and override user and you will be better off.

robret

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
jamesadrian

Post by jamesadrian »

Mannix,

I did as you suggested and it worked. I also removed the site logo.

futurebeacon.com/forum now has my FB1.png background for the headerbar. There is still a white background surrounding the new piece of FB1.png.

That white background still extends to the entire page except for the FB1.png behind that. How might I make that go away?

Thank you for your help.
jamesadrian

Post by jamesadrian »

Lumpy Burgertushie,

Thank you for this information:

"if you want to edit html you have to go to the styles/yourstyle/template/ folder and find the relevant html file."

What are the consequences of completely changing the structure and content of the presentation (keeping all of the links and giving them new icons) and never upgrading it?

Thank you for your help.

Jim Adrian
DTMWC

Post by DTMWC »

If you want the whole page to display the same background, you might find it easier to just add the this code to the bottom of the colours.css style sheet.

Code: Select all

.wrap {
    background: none;
    border: none;
}

.headerbar {
    background: none;
}
If you add the same background image 3 times it won't line up properly, so if you remove the backgrounds like the codes above, then the main html, body background image that you added earlier will do what you are wanting to do.
Boom.
Lumpy Burgertushie

jamesadrian wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:41 am Lumpy Burgertushie,

Thank you for this information:

"if you want to edit html you have to go to the styles/yourstyle/template/ folder and find the relevant html file."

What are the consequences of completely changing the structure and content of the presentation (keeping all of the links and giving them new icons) and never upgrading it?

Thank you for your help.

Jim Adrian
you probably won't be able to make that work at all, however, after a time, it will certainly quit working if you don't upgrade it when phpbb upgrades.

robert

jamesadrian

Post by jamesadrian »

Dan Stylez,

Thank you for this information. It worked.

I don't know if I did something to mess it up, but I can't seem to find how I can post a message to visitors of http://www.futurebeacon.com/forum after I log in.

Thank you for your help.

Jim

Return to “[3.2.x] Styles Support & Discussion”