IPv6 address not working in Whois

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: IPv6 address not working in Whois

Post by Mick »

It may be worth posting in ideas.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
enter a valid email

Post by enter a valid email »

Please note it could be complicate with the GDPR.
In my case I have a fixed IP and now happy when someone try to Track me down over Multiple Sites.
</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

Mick wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:14 pm It may be worth posting in ideas.
Good like this? viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2489706#p15114141
</Solidjeuh>

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

enter a valid email wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:02 pm Please note it could be complicate with the GDPR.
In my case I have a fixed IP and now happy when someone try to Track me down over Multiple Sites.
The 'whois' needs to be only visible for admins or just the founder.
enter a valid email

Post by enter a valid email »

The GDPR is even for the Admin valid. Its just a hint nothing elese. The Admin (/you) must know what the do.
</Solidjeuh>

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

enter a valid email wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:04 pm The GDPR is even for the Admin valid. Its just a hint nothing elese. The Admin (/you) must know what the do.
Not to start an GDPR topic again, but the founder should always have the rights to see the whois information. I use it a lot to check new members. Just because I have a few people on my "blacklist", and I don't want them on my forum :roll:. I know that is not always reliable, but most of the time it is. +the founder should ALWAYS keep that information for him/herself.
kasimi
Former Team Member

Post by kasimi »

As pointed out here, phpBB fetches whois information using the whois protocol. whatismyipaddress.com doesn't offer a whois service via the whois protocol, it only offers it via http.

Currently phpBB uses whois.arin.net for IPv4 addresses and whois.sixxs.net for IPv6 addresses. As already mentioned, SixXS discontinued their services in June 2017 which is why you're seeing an empty window. Meanwhile, ARIN also supports IPv6, so all whois requests can be handled through them. Ticket & PR.
</Solidjeuh>

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

kasimi wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:09 am As pointed out here, phpBB fetches whois information using the whois protocol. whatismyipaddress.com doesn't offer a whois service via the wohis protocol, it only offers it via http.

Currently phpBB uses whois.arin.net for IPv4 addresses and whois.sixxs.net for IPv6 addresses. As already mentioned, SixXS discontinued their services in June 2017 which is why you're seeing an empty window. Meanwhile, ARIN also supports IPv6, so all whois requests can be handled through them. Ticket & PR.
That fix is working! :geek:
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Thank you.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
LaxSlash1993

Post by LaxSlash1993 »

</Solidjeuh> wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:11 pm+the founder should ALWAYS keep that information for him/herself.
Completely disagree. Any moderator or admin should be able to use the functionality.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

<start off-topic>
</Solidjeuh> wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:11 pm ...
+the founder should ALWAYS keep that information for him/herself.
"Always"? one of the most misused words in any language.
LaxSlash1993 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:18 am Completely disagree. Any moderator or admin should be able to use the functionality.
Also here "Any" is just too broad to be used in this case (and other cases).
Moderator and Administrator are just words implying a certain set of administrative and moderative permissions. I can understand the feeling that the administrator(s) should have access to the IPs, but moderators a priori not.
phpBB allows defining different roles which have a different permissions set, implying that a moderator can have administrator permissions, in fact a "simple" member not belonging to any specific pre-defined group can have administrator permissions.

My point is: the words moderator and administrator only imply that that person has certain permissions allowing him/her to perform certain actions but it doesn't define which actions.

In my case on 1 board I was the only one with "can see IP" -permissions, on another I had "enhanced" moderators with those permissions. It's a matter question of trust, not of having a title.

<end off-topic>
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”