phpBB mobile app

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Suggested Hosts
imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

Re: phpBB mobile app

Post by imkingdavid »

There is this from 2015: http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/20/84546 ... mobile-web

Not sure how easy it would be to incorporate into phpBB, and it only works (afaik) for desktop and android Chrome (not on iOS according to that link, unless things have changed since then). But that could be a solution to an extent. Maybe someone could write an extension to do that. I may look into it if it doesn't look too difficult.

EDIT: Looking further into it, it should be possible, and I'm already thinking about how to implement it. Once the basic notification aspect is done, i'm assuming it wouldn't be hard to add a new notification type (like the board notifications and email notifications that already come standard in phpBB). This would allow the user to manage whether they want push notifications enabled, and which actions should trigger them.
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
potku

Post by potku »

Well, that sounds really good, imkingdavid! :)
Potku.net

"Before I speak, I have something important to say."

- Groucho Marx
lurttinen
Translator

Post by lurttinen »

Mick wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:00 pm
sakm wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:00 pm I try to encourage my members to use a browser
Bravo!
sakm wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:00 pmSo with that in mind the ability to have images automatically resized would be a good leap forward for mobile users
There may be an extension for that, have a look but if not you should make an extension request.
In 3.2, the hardcoded quality value in plupload is set at 85, when in 3.1 it was 100.
You can play with this value to get more compression to images and reduce the file size.

Then either .htaccess or php.ini -
php_value upload_max_filesize 10M
php_value post_max_size 10M
php_value max_input_time 500
php_value max_execution_time 500

Then you can throw 10MB "raw" images from your smartphone (or computer) to your forum and server will compress it.
Signature is here
Paul Arden
Name: Paul Arden

Post by Paul Arden »

Wow I didn't know I still had an account and guessed the login :)

Anyway, I came across this thread because I'm looking to "push" notifications to a smartphone/browser on reply. I agree that discussion boards have taken a real kicking from FB. They are the main culprit I believe. (I've run the same discussion group in all its entities since long pre-FB and I've watched it happen).

Getting push notifications would seriously help, I believe. So is it possible? Or should we start "pushing" to Facebook? (That's what I currently do!).

Many thanks,
Paul
it's all about to happen..
Paul Arden
Name: Paul Arden

Post by Paul Arden »

Last posted just over 6 years ago! :shock:

(Consequently I've just changed my profile picture - I didn't recognise myself!)
it's all about to happen..
Geepers
Name: Glenn

Post by Geepers »

Old post I know, but has there been any steps toward the app idea?
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

Geepers wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:39 pm Old post I know, but has there been any steps toward the app idea?
Styles are already mobile compatible, what would you need an app for?
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
meetdilip

Post by meetdilip »

Responsive themes are not the only reason to make people skip an app. An app can do a lot more.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

You would need an app developer for that, we don't have one here as far as I'm aware.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

meetdilip wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:11 am Responsive themes are not the only reason to make people skip an app. An app can do a lot more.
Like what? It's a forum. Jump to the index page and I have a list of notifications there for me, with really interesting features already emailing me notifications.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
paulie

Post by paulie »

Toxyy wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:17 pm Like what? It's a forum. Jump to the index page and I have a list of notifications there for me, with really interesting features already emailing me notifications.
I know that, you know that! But, a lot of those using Tapatalk on my Forum appear to be bone idle! Apparently clicking on a 'Favourites' list in a mobile browser is "too much like hard work" :roll:

I've already informed my Members that I'll be binning off Tapatalk next year so they have plenty of time to find something else. If it costs me Members, then so be it.
'Life in the Air Age isn't all the brochures say ...'
meetdilip

Post by meetdilip »

Toxyy wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:17 pm
meetdilip wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:11 am Responsive themes are not the only reason to make people skip an app. An app can do a lot more.
Like what? It's a forum. Jump to the index page and I have a list of notifications there for me, with really interesting features already emailing me notifications.
Why WhatsApp provides an app , Why FB has an app, Why Twitter has an app ? Why they are not providing a single web interface but investing on Android and iOS native app.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

You could always develop an app yourself, there's information on the web how to do it.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

meetdilip wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:45 pm
Toxyy wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:17 pm
Why WhatsApp provides an app , Why FB has an app, Why Twitter has an app ? Why they are not providing a single web interface but investing on Android and iOS native app.
Those are centralized sites, they don't run another platform's code in which each of those sites has their own app. Whatsapp is another thing entirely, it's an instant messenger/caller/texter so that you can use your phone with people internationally. And again, with android and IOS. It's ot the easiest thing to develop cross platform, having to write the same program twice essentially. Versus coming to the forum in the mobile browser app you already have with the bookmark you've already made and seeing your notifications there, and getting email notifications on your phone from the things that you would otherwise do in an app... you could open an in house mcdonalds in every mom and pop shop you find, but there's still a full sized mcdonalds down the street.

Some of my extensions:
meetdilip

Post by meetdilip »

Living on the users ' phone has its own benefits. Which only an app can give. Responsive theme is good, but it cannot replace the productivity of an app.

Return to “Extension Requests”