phpBB 3.2.3 too many database row reads

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
boogi

phpBB 3.2.3 too many database row reads

Post by boogi »

Hi!

Story:
I tried to upgrade phpBB forum from 3.1.8 to 3.2.3, all by this instruction using phpcli tool, process went with no error, users were happily using site for few hours. But I've found that row reads went from small numbers (like 1 million rows read per hour for 3.1.8) to bigger like 70-100 million row reads per hour. I switched back to old version (yup, good old backups), so no big problem for now, but I'd like to eventually upgrade forum version to new one. I can't let it run with so many reads, because it's shared hosting that allow for only limited number of reads per day which this 3.2.3 forum would "eat" in only few hours.

Question:
What can I do about it? I have no idea where to start searching for the problem.
I've turned off all extensions for few hours (and db row reads didn't come lower) so looks like it's not extension problem.
Before 3.1.8, this forum was run under 2.x "phpbb by Przemo" (Polish version; by previous admin), I converted it to 3.1.8 about two years ago, if that's something relevant.
Any help appreciated :) if I'm to provide more information - just ask question. If there is someone willing to take a closer look, I have this 3.2.3 forum running "in shadow" and can provide admin account and so on. Unfortunately, as it's shared hosting, I don't have satisfactory access to logs.
Last edited by boogi on Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: phpBB 3.2.3 too many database row reads

Post by stevemaury »

Please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
boogi

Post by boogi »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.3
What is your board's URL? http://weryfikatorium.pl/forum323
Who do you host your board with? nazwa.pl (former NetArt)
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.1.8
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver, Volare (paid one)
What language(s) is your board currently using? polish
Which database type/version are you using? MariaDB
What is your level of experience? Comfortable with PHP and phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? can provide via DM
What password can be used to view this issue? can provide via DM
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? Went through instruction: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... upgrade31/ using phpcli; installed polish language pack, paid Volare style, official phpBB extensions and mChat. Noticed that db row reads went through roof. Disabled extensions, didn't help, so switched back to 3.1.8 (3.2.3 is left for debugging).
Please describe your problem. Too many database row reads per hour while using 3.2.3 - around 100x times than it was for 3.1.8 (100mln vs 1mln db row reads per hour)
Generated by SRT Generator
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

It could be reparsing 100,000,000 mChat messages.
I wrote the library that handles markup in phpBB 3.2+.
boogi

Post by boogi »

Hi, thank you for the tip. I checked it, and they don't keep so many of them (only 2500 last messages to be precise), and also conversion of forum posts and mchat messages is done one time only at install stage.
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

What queries are you seeing in what amounts?
boogi

Post by boogi »

It's shared hosting, so I don't see any. I installed mysql+apache locally, imported two databases (before upgrade 3.1.8 and after upgrade 3.2.3) and will try to do some tests locally and will post here what I've found, probably in next few days.
What I can see on this shared hosting is only basic apache logs (access and error), and apart from mainly "GET /mchat" or "GET /" there is nothing suspicious, and no difference in traffic depending on which forum version I run.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

you could contact your host support since they do have access to the logs etc. they should be able to tell you exactly what is causing it.

there is not really anything in a properly done upgrade that would cause this.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
david63

Post by david63 »

boogi wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:23 pm conversion of forum posts and mchat messages is done one time only at install stage.
Not quite - depending on the size of your board the reparsing may be done in batches over several days.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”