Topic and thread difference?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
pikachuturkey
Name: Rıza

Topic and thread difference?

Post by pikachuturkey »

What is the difference between "topic" and "thread"??
Is it just a naming difference? Or structure difference.
some users at phpbb.com (for example Mick :D ) writing "There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics."
</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Re: Topic and thread difference?

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

Topic = subject, the matter/question/issue under discussion.

Thread = the string of messages/posts addressing that topic. (It is derived from the thread your teacher was talking about, the stuff used in sewing.)
https://forum.wordreference.com/threads ... t-10149337
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Ostinction in reaffirming an outdated concept. Everyone knows what they are talking about in one way or another.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

It's to do with threaded (with a tree type structure) and flat boards. phpBB has a flat layout so doesn't have threads. Files like 'viewtopic' would be 'viewthread' in the likes of VB. It's semantics I guess but using the correct terms helps anyone reading a post to know exactly what is being written about. A thread is not a topic the same as a carburettor isn't fuel injection although they achieve the same thing.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Perhaps it's understandable from an engineering or development context that maybe "thread refers to a tree-type rendering of the message relationships." But that's not what someone coming into the phpBB support forum saying "thread" is trying to reference or make a distinction between.

Regardless of how phpBB had chosen to render these message relationships, "thread" is still a correct terminology for the logical relationship between messages in a reply chain. phpBB could even be written in the future to render message relationships "both ways" (flat or tree or both, depending on preference), and this wouldn't change the fact that "thread" is still an accepted term for how one could refer to the underlying message chain.

Evangelizing the fact that phpBB itself will refer to them as "topics" -- in the end-user UI, in the ACP, in documentation -- seems entirely appropriate. i.e. That's how phpBB itself is going to reference this concept, and is what "topic" means when you encounter it in the phpbb UI or documentation.

So that's the only distinction I would make; "phpBB will refer to them as topics", as opposed to "you should refer to them as topics."

Because anyone who comes here and says "thread" in context of a phpBB-specific discussion is still completely understood, and the use of "thread" doesn't create any ambiguity because of some other competing concept in phpBB that is referred to as "thread." We already knew what they meant, and we already knew how to answer the question.
JimA
Former Team Member
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA »

3Di wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:21 am Ostinction in reaffirming an outdated concept. Everyone knows what they are talking about in one way or another.
EA117 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:20 pmBecause anyone who comes here and says "thread" in context of a phpBB-specific discussion is still completely understood, and the use of "thread" doesn't create any ambiguity because of some other competing concept in phpBB that is referred to as "thread." We already knew what they meant, and we already knew how to answer the question.
Completely agreed with both of you. Although we chose to call them topics in the software, everybody knows what is meant when somebody else the word "thread" for a question. It's basically the same thing, for as far as I'm concerned. :)
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Former Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

it is not really the same thing at all. to the normal user, they don't know the difference so to them it is the same thing.
it is two totally different ways of presenting a discussion in a bulletin board. If I remember correctly the original creator of phpbb designed it this way to get away from the old threaded style of disucussion which was really based on the old email / mailinglist type of thing.

I don't care what anybody calls it. like was said, at this point we all know what the poster means. however, I have always been a stickler for trying my best to use the correct terminology for whatever I am discussing. as was mentioned above,
Mick wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:00 am A thread is not a topic the same as a carburettor isn't fuel injection although they achieve the same thing.
robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Everybody knows what is meant when somebody else the word "thread" for a question but the flow of a discussion continues to be interrupted with unnecessary reprimands, which should eventually be done after the support has happily ended. Also not, unnecessary.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

We all know that the word "thread", when used here, implies "topic". However, there are questions about seeing topics in a threaded way, and that implies that the person asking the question doesn't entirely grasp the difference in concept and in structure.
As mentioned before, "threads" can branch and remain the same thread. Topics on the other hand strictly don't branch. It is possible that a post contains 2 or more partially different subjects, in which case quoting can reflect short deviations. However when these deviations become serious, splitting the topic into 2 parts, 1 being the original topic and the second a completely new topic (with a different topic_id), is advised. In threaded forums, splitting is seldom done (at least in my experience).

Transforming a threaded forum into a flat forum isn't as simple as it seems because splitting off branches usually destroys the flow of the messages,. Similarly, transforming a flat forum into a threaded forum requires strict and consistent quoting (which post is quoted?), which cannot be guaranteed in phpBB (as it exists now) (neither in other forum software, that I know of)

In my opinion the use of the word "thread" for topic should be discouraged in flat forums, if only to emphasise the difference in structure.

I do agree however (100%) with 3Di that a "reprimand" (I prefer the term "indication") should be a limited to single remark so as not to cause threading. ;)
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

pikachuturkey wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:29 amIs it just a naming difference?
No, it's a technical difference.
pikachuturkey wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:29 amOr structure difference.
Too. Wherever you see a BBS that has threads you should also be able to view them in a tree like structure (as then a reply is bound to a post, not the topic in general).

It's like apples and oranges: they're two different things, but for the majority of people it's one and the same thing: a fruit. Most people prefer to ignore details.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Most younger people have not used USENET or experienced threaded discussion boards, so for them it is the same thing. Like "dialing a phone" with no dial.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

stevemaury wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:43 pm Most younger people have not used USENET or experienced threaded discussion boards, so for them it is the same thing. Like "dialing a phone" with no dial.
And that some forum systems use the word thread.

I'll prove Mick's signature wrong whenever I have time to get back to my summer extension...
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Toxyy wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:23 pmI'll prove Mick's signature wrong
If by that you mean postcomments then you'll most likely fail.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

AmigoJack wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:44 am
Toxyy wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:23 pmI'll prove Mick's signature wrong
If by that you mean postcomments then you'll most likely fail.
I've gotten the core of it down, minus a scary looking sql query keeping it all together.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
JimA
Former Team Member
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA »

Let's all just stay on-topic here, please. ;)

Any further discussion of extensions has enough dedicated places here on phpBB.com.
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Former Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”