Lost Ability To Make Sticky and Announcement

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
SeeinStripes
Name: Shawn

Lost Ability To Make Sticky and Announcement

Post by SeeinStripes »

I am the forum's only admin and mysteriously lost the ability to post sticky or announcements. Currently running 3.2.3. Not sure if I botched the update and booted myself. I am able to go and manually reinstate my permissions via user forum permissions, but is there a quicker way? I have a lot of forum/subforums. I have myself listed as a User in the Administrators section under the Permissions tab in ACP. My permission is set to Full Admin.
Could this be causing the issue? Thanks guys. Total noob at this stuff even though I've been on phpbb since 2005.

Edit: I just noticed I'm also in my Registered Users group. Maybe this is hacking my admin role?

Edit to Edit: I just went through and manually adjusted my user forum permissions to Full Access and now I have lost the ability to edit/delete my own posts in the admin section of my forum as well as I still cannot make sticky/announcement even though the permissions settings say I can. So doing this actually made things worse. Something isn't right here.
Last edited by SeeinStripes on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn McNew
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Lost Ability To Make Sticky and Announcement

Post by warmweer »

SeeinStripes wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:38 pm I am the forum's only admin and mysteriously lost the ability to post sticky or announcements. Currently running 3.2.3. Not sure if I botched the update and booted myself. I am able to go and manually reinstate my permissions via user forum permissions, but is there a quicker way? I have a lot of forum/subforums. I have myself listed as a User in the Administrators section under the Permissions tab in ACP. My permission is set to Full Admin.
Could this be causing the issue? Thanks guys. Total noob at this stuff even though I've been on phpbb since 2005.
Use the user permissions mask and user forum permission mask for your username to find out whether it's user/group/forum permissions which are blocking you. Probably you have a NEVER somewhere (which should have been a NO).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
SeeinStripes

Post by SeeinStripes »

Use the user permissions mask and user forum permission mask for your username to find out whether it's user/group/forum permissions which are blocking you. Probably you have a NEVER somewhere (which should have been a NO).
I don't know what these are or how to access it.
Shawn McNew
SeeinStripes

Post by SeeinStripes »

Well damn I figured it out. I think the fact that I was also in my registered users group was overriding my admin role somehow. This has never happened before, but I deleted myself from registered users and I have full admin again. Hopefully this info benefits someone else down the line.

Edit: I cannot delete posts. I have no idea what's going on with my permissions. They are different in different categories. Is there one catch-all section to make the changes forum-wide?
Last edited by SeeinStripes on Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn McNew
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

SeeinStripes wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:52 pm
I don't know what these are or how to access it.
Seriously? You are the Administrator of your board, aren't you?
ACP - permissions (and there is always the user guide (https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3.2/ug/) )
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

SeeinStripes wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:02 pm ...
but I deleted myself from registered users and I have full admin again. Hopefully this info benefits someone else down the line.
NO, that is not the correct way to to it. Every member of the board (including the administrator) should be in the Registered Users Group.
Put yourself back into the Registered Users group and use the user/forum/permissionmask to find out where a NEVER is limiting your Admin permissions.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

you should never remove anyone from the registered user group. every registered user should be in that group.

then, if you are wanting to add subract permissions you do that with other groups.

like he said above, you use the permission masks to figure out where the wrong permission is coming from.

it is a little confusing at times but it works very well.
'
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... rmissions/
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
SeeinStripes

Post by SeeinStripes »

Ok, I'm back in Registered Users group as well as Administrators. I don't have any "never" options, everything I can access shows green all the way. I have Full Access, Forum Founder, Masks all show green, permissions are all yes, but I still am only able to edit my own posts and cannot delete anything. I only have the Quote and Report This Post functions on other user's posts. :( I AM logged in.

Edit: I just looked and my moderative permissions are all red. Do I need to be in the moderator group to change this? I have no idea what changed my settings.

Edit Edit: That was it. So you have to me in Registered Users, Administrators, AND Global Moderators? I have all functions back after adding myself to the Global Moderators group. Why didn't y'all say to to that? HA, j/k. I think this is done now hopefully.
Last edited by SeeinStripes on Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn McNew
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

SeeinStripes wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:29 pm Ok, I'm back in Registered Users group as well as Administrators. I don't have any "never" options, everything I can access shows green all the way. I have Full Access, Forum Founder, Masks all show green, permissions are all yes, but I still am only able to edit my own posts and cannot delete anything. I only have the Quote and Report This Post functions on other user's posts. :( I AM logged in.
Did you check in the specific forum where you couldn't make an announcement. Check you user permission mask for that forum!
There is a NEVER somewhere, or a NO for that specific forum.
Did you perhaps change permission roles?

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

SeeinStripes wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:29 pm Edit: I just looked and my moderative permissions are all red. Do I need to be in the moderator group to change this? I have no idea what changed my settings.
There's no need for you to be in the Moderator group, normally as Administrator you should have full access. (but I'll have a quick look at the default settings.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Just to be clear, none of the permissions you say you do not have are administrative permissions. Are you in the Global moderators group? It is incorrect that you do not have to be in the Global moderators group to have those permissions (or otherwise assign them).
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
SeeinStripes

Post by SeeinStripes »

I got my moderation ability back by adding myself to the Global Moderator group but now I'm getting the post approval nightmare. How does this happen to an admin/moderator/forum founder? This actually sucks, I guess I'll try to track down this issue now. Any hints on what this might be? I love micro-managing, but having to approve my own posts post-facto is a little over the top.
Shawn McNew
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

warmweer wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:41 pm
SeeinStripes wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:29 pm Edit: I just looked and my moderative permissions are all red. Do I need to be in the moderator group to change this? I have no idea what changed my settings.
There's no need for you to be in the Moderator group, normally as Administrator you should have full access. (but I'll have a quick look at the default settings.
sorry but you are incorrect about this. being admin and in the admin group and even being founder does not give you permissions to delete anyone else's posts, does not give you any moderative permissions. unless you are also in the global moderator group you can not do anything but access the admin panel if you are only in the admin group.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Are you in the Newly Registered users group? If so, remove yourself.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
SeeinStripes

Post by SeeinStripes »

stevemaury wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:46 pm Are you in the Newly Registered users group? If so, remove yourself.
No sir. I am in 3 groups: Administrators, Global Moderators, Registered Users
Shawn McNew

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”