Blank page when trying to update from 3.2.3 to 3.2.4

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
dio33

Blank page when trying to update from 3.2.3 to 3.2.4

Post by dio33 »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.3
What is your board's URL? www.alfaromeoteam.com
Who do you host your board with? Godaddy
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.2.3
What extensions do you have installed? Advanced BBCode Box
Board3 Portal
Board Announcements
E-mail on birthday
Extension installer
External Link In New Window
Forumhulp Helper
Google Search & Site Verification
Header Banner
HTML email
Image Upload
List subforums in columns
OneAll Social Login
Pages
Post Count Requirements
Simple mentions
Tapatalk Plugin for phpBB 3.1/3.2
Ultimate Points Extension
What styles do you currently have installed? Flat Style Red
What language(s) is your board currently using? EN - PT
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? admin
What password can be used to view this issue? can't share password.
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? When I try to update from 3.2.3 to 3.2.4 using the Automatic Update Package, i get a blank page when I click on Update tab.
Please describe your problem. When I try to update from 3.2.3 to 3.2.4 using the Automatic Update Package, i get a blank page when I click on Update tab.
Generated by SRT Generator

Hello,

After uploading the folders install and vendor from Atomatic Update Package for 3.2.3 to 3.2.4 and pointing the browser to /install when i click in the "Update" tab all I get is a bank page.

All I've found is that php related, but no changes were made in the hosting configuration for a long time, I even recently updated my forum from 3.0.x to 3.2.3.

Thanks.
david63

Re: Blank page when trying to update from 3.2.3 to 3.2.4

Post by david63 »

Is there some particular reason why you have used the automatic update package as that is not the recommended update route?

Blank pages are generally caused by a suppressed PHP error - sometimes a corrupt file. Your server error logs should point you in the right direction.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
dio33

Post by dio33 »

david63 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:38 pm Is there some particular reason why you have used the automatic update package as that is not the recommended update route?
Everytime someone reports an error about update, gets that answer...

Is there some particular reason to make the AUP available for users?
Blank pages are generally caused by a suppressed PHP error - sometimes a corrupt file. Your server error logs should point you in the right direction.
I guess I'l have to wait till tomorrow, as today is sunday and host support is not online.
david63

Post by david63 »

dio33 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:51 pm I guess I'l have to wait till tomorrow, as today is sunday and host support is not online.
You should have access to the logs from your hosting account Control Panel
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
dio33

Post by dio33 »

david63 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:01 pm
dio33 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:51 pm I guess I'l have to wait till tomorrow, as today is sunday and host support is not online.
You should have access to the logs from your hosting account Control Panel
Yes, I should... but right now is not working, thats why I have to contact support.

Till there, any idea that could cause the blank page?
</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

I can confirm this. Also a white page on install page.
It's for a forum with lots of edits in the core files, and need auto update for that.

I can't access the server logs at the moment. But I guess it's the same error as topic starter.

== EDIT ==

Seems a server memory problem

Code: Select all

[18-Nov-2018 15:30:06 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 2097160 bytes) in /home/allerleidierenfo/public_html/vendor/s9e/text-formatter/src/Configurator.php on line 3172
dio33

Post by dio33 »

</Solidjeuh> wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:39 pm I can confirm this. Also a white page on install page.
It's for a forum with lots of edits in the core files, and need auto update for that.

I can't access the server logs at the moment. But I guess it's the same error as topic starter.

== EDIT ==

[18-Nov-2018 15:30:06 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 2097160 bytes) in /home/allerleidierenfo/public_html/vendor/s9e/text-formatter/src/Configurator.php on line 3172
Hello,

How did you solve the problem?

thanks.
</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

dio33 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:51 am
</Solidjeuh> wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:39 pm I can confirm this. Also a white page on install page.

== EDIT ==

Hello,

How did you solve the problem?

thanks.
It had nothing to do with the update. An extension was asking for more memory. So I changed php.ini
dio33

Post by dio33 »

That did not work for me, changed memory_limit from 64M to 128M and it's the same.

By the way, qhat extension did you disable?
Senky
Former Team Member
Name: Jakub

Post by Senky »

dio33 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:28 am That did not work for me, changed memory_limit from 64M to 128M and it's the same.
Did you also restart your server? You can always use cli to update your board which is a more secure way. That is, if you have such an option with your server.
‎‏‏ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎‏‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‏‏‎🔔
Browser & Mobile Notifications Extension
Now with Safari (both macOS and iOS) support!
dio33

Post by dio33 »

Senky wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:33 pm Did you also restart your server? You can always use cli to update your board which is a more secure way. That is, if you have such an option with your server.
Yes, i did restart apache and in php info the variable as changed.

My server it's a piece of crap, it's a legacy shared hosting in GoDaddy... I been contacting support to solve some issues and they can't fix anything because is legacy... :(
Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader
Name: Marc

Post by Marc »

The URL you seem to be redirected to after clicking update is incorrect. install/app.php exists and will handle updates via install/app.php/update or alternatively via install/app.php?update. This seems a bit like a server misconfiguration as phpBB itself will not redirect you to that URL you posted.
dio33

Post by dio33 »

Marc wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:09 pm The URL you seem to be redirected to after clicking update is incorrect. install/app.php exists and will handle updates via install/app.php/update or alternatively via install/app.php?update. This seems a bit like a server misconfiguration as phpBB itself will not redirect you to that URL you posted.
Thank you for the answer.
Don't know why it redirect to that url, used the install/app.php/update and the update started but then, after uploading the changed files, its stucked here.

The "Continue update process" does not work. :( :(
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

Have you heavily edited core .php files? If no.. then why are you still using auto update? Use full package to update and drop even a thought about using that auto update method.
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
dio33

Post by dio33 »

GanstaZ wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:02 am Have you heavily edited core .php files? If no.. then why are you still using auto update? Use full package to update and drop even a thought about using that auto update method.
Like I said before, if Auto Update does not work, why phpbb keeps supporting it?

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”