Firefox confuses username and e-mail when storing passwords

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
z.ukosa

Firefox confuses username and e-mail when storing passwords

Post by z.ukosa » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:27 am

Hi, I've noticed that Firefox confuses username and e-mail when storing passwords. I.e. when it stores password, it uses e-mail as a username, so it obviously will not work. This does not happen in Chrome. I've tested it in Firefox ver.63.0.3 (64-bit) and this is also true when I register here (on phpBB.com). I checked on Wikipedia and when I tried to register there - Firefox did not confuse these two fields.

Any ideas what is the reason and how to fix it?

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Firefox confuses username and e-mail when storing passwords

Post by david63 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:43 am

z.ukosa wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:27 am
Any ideas what is the reason and how to fix it?
Turn off auto complete in FireFox
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

z.ukosa

Post by z.ukosa » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:07 pm

hmm... how do I do that on all devices used by members of my board? :D

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:11 pm

Post an announcement explaining the situation. At the end of it it's a browser problem, not phpBB.

Point them to this How to Disable and Clear AutoFill Info in your Browser
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

EA117

Post by EA117 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:23 pm

My expectation is that FireFox considers "the field that appears in the tab stop order immediately before the password fields" is presumed to be the username associated with those passwords. Which in the Wikipedia example will be the username. But phpBB is choosing to prompt for the email address after the username, but before the password fields.

You could test the theory by changing the order of these fields. Chrome must be doing something like defaulting to "the first form field in the tab stop order", which would be correct for both the Wikipedia and phpBB field orders.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:33 pm

EA117 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:23 pm
My expectation is that FireFox considers "the field that appears in the tab stop order immediately before the password fields" is presumed to be the username associated with those passwords.
I believe that Firefox autocomplete uses the field name as the key for the data (unless it has changed recently) which means that if you inadvertently enter your password as your username (easily done) then that will be used next time.

Personally I think that in this day and age autocomplete should be removed.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

EA117

Post by EA117 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:00 pm

david63 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:33 pm
I believe that Firefox autocomplete uses the field name as the key for the data (unless it has changed recently) which means that if you inadvertently enter your password as your username (easily done) then that will be used next time.
I don't think I disagree, but believe that we're talking about two different things. It's explicitly the concept of "saving login credentials" which would be inspecting the relationship between the password fields and what might be designated as the username field. And not the general autocomplete behavior which deals in many other fields besides just "password and username" for the purpose of saving login credentials.

For what it's worth, I tested changing the order of the phpBB registration fields such that the username field is the tab stop before the password fields. You can test the behavior on this site's registration page. Include "phpbb" anywhere in the username you register with a bogus email address, and I'll be happy to delete any incomplete registrations that were created just for testing.

As to what exactly the change was, I happen to be using a proSilver-inheriting style which didn't already attempt to override anything about the registration page template. So in my case I only had to copy /styles/prosilver/template/ucp_register.html into my own style's /template directory, and then edit this ucp_register.html to move the <dl> block containing the email entry field down below the two password entry fields. And then re-ordered the tabindex= values of those four fields to reflect the new on-screen order.

If you're integrating with a non-proSilver-inheriting style, or a style which has already provided a ucp_register.html template, your work will be slightly more in order to perform these same kinds of changes within whatever style and changes you're using.

The completed change, again just based on proSilver 3.2.4, looked as follows:

Code: Select all

<!-- EVENT ucp_register_credentials_before -->
	<dl>
		<dt><label for="username">{L_USERNAME}{L_COLON}</label><br /><span>{L_USERNAME_EXPLAIN}</span></dt>
		<dd><input type="text" tabindex="1" name="username" id="username" size="25" value="{USERNAME}" class="inputbox autowidth" title="{L_USERNAME}" /></dd>
	</dl>
	<dl>
		<dt><label for="new_password">{L_PASSWORD}{L_COLON}</label><br /><span>{L_PASSWORD_EXPLAIN}</span></dt>
		<dd><input type="password" tabindex="3" name="new_password" id="new_password" size="25" value="{PASSWORD}" class="inputbox autowidth" title="{L_NEW_PASSWORD}" autocomplete="off" /></dd>
	</dl>
	<dl>
		<dt><label for="password_confirm">{L_CONFIRM_PASSWORD}{L_COLON}</label></dt>
		<dd><input type="password" tabindex="4" name="password_confirm" id="password_confirm" size="25" value="{PASSWORD_CONFIRM}" class="inputbox autowidth" title="{L_CONFIRM_PASSWORD}" autocomplete="off" /></dd>
	</dl>
	<dl>
		<dt><label for="email">{L_EMAIL_ADDRESS}{L_COLON}</label></dt>
		<dd><input type="email" tabindex="5" name="email" id="email" size="25" maxlength="100" value="{EMAIL}" class="inputbox autowidth" title="{L_EMAIL_ADDRESS}" autocomplete="off" /></dd>
	</dl>
	<!-- EVENT ucp_register_credentials_after -->

z.ukosa

Post by z.ukosa » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:10 pm

thanks, your solution works! I've just set up an account on your board, but you won't have any problems with telling which one it is :)

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:14 am

I might have to do this. I think a great majority of my users use FF. Well, mostly with their phone. So this might be an issue I'm unaware of. I'll ask my users.

Edit-

Never mind. I can't ask my users. This is for registration. I've applied the fix and looks good. Thanks.
Last edited by John connor on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

P_I

Post by P_I » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:21 am

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”