How is google seeing pages that guests can't see?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
jefmcg

How is google seeing pages that guests can't see?

Post by jefmcg »

Google has stumbled on and started indexing my new domain. I was troubled to see links to and caches of pages in my members-only section, so I looked at the permissions settings, and it looked like I was allowing guests and bots in where I didn't mean them to get. I've adjusted the forum permissions, and was settling down to wait for them to gradually disappear, but then I noticed other pages that guests can't but google can. Eg

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=uk

How do I keep google (and anything else) out of the non-public parts of my site?

Thanks!
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: How is google seeing pages that guests can't see?

Post by Brf »

Google is not a "Guest". It is a "Bot".
You need to remove the "Bots" Group permission from your private forums.
jefmcg

Post by jefmcg »

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I understand that, and I have fixed the permissions on the private parts of the forums. Hopefully they will disappear from google before my users notice.

But if you click on the link in my first post, you will find it's not a private forum but a list of global moderators. When you click on the direct link https://cyclingrelated.uk/memberlist.ph ... group&g=14 you go to a login page.

I can't see where to turn off that permission. I've had a look at group permissions for the bot group, and as far as I can tell they are all set to "no". Not sure where else to look.

tia
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Then you probably meant your board, not a forum.

As for your link: the cache looks fishy, as it has both: a "logout" and a "register" link - bots should not be able to log out at all. Groups can be seen by everyone unless they're in mode "hidden" and the viewing user has no administrative group management permission and is no member of the group.

Which means: either your "Bots" group or accounts in them accidentally had/inherited administrative group management permissions, or your board was modified to a point where this came up.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
jefmcg

Post by jefmcg »

Update:

I still haven't got the forum permissions right. I just looked at the /viewonline.php and found that Google [Bot] was in a members only forum.

So I went ACP->Permissions->Forum permissions->Select a forum

I had assumed that if bots weren't under groups, then they wouldn't have permissions. I guess I was wrong. Can someone baby step me through the settings to keep google out of my private areas?
Capture.PNG
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Make sure the Google [BOT] is in the Bots group and no other group. Then set the group forum permissions for all private forums to No access for the Bots group.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

jefmcg wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:23 pm I just looked at the /viewonline.php and found that Google [Bot] was in a members only forum.
That does not necessarily mean they are seeing that forum. If they do not have permissions to "read" that forum, then they would be seeing a login page or an error message. But they should not be able to browse to a forum that they do not have permissions to "see", unless they are following a visible link from somewhere else.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

phpBB uses sessions to keep track of users as they move between pages. The session information tells us who this user is. Therefore in order to determine what a user can do on a page we first need the session details. Once this data is available we can check whether the user is permitted to do whatever it is they are trying to do. This can result in it appearing as if a user is reading a topic in a forum they should not be able to access. Or perhaps viewing private messages when they are only guests, etc. In practice the user is not doing these things, they are viewing a "You are not permitted to do this" type message. The session data has simply been updated before we were able to determine what the user could or could not do.

Of course this only applies where permissions have been set correctly!
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
jefmcg

Post by jefmcg »

stevemaury wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:29 pm Make sure the Google [BOT] is in the Bots group and no other group. Then set the group forum permissions for all private forums to No access for the Bots group.
Thanks. That was my problem. All the bots were Registered Users. Is that default behaviour or an artifact of my brief foray into SMF before migrating to phpBB?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

jefmcg wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:23 pm Thanks. That was my problem. All the bots were Registered Users. Is that default behaviour or an artifact of my brief foray into SMF before migrating to phpBB?
Probably a leftover from SMF.
Bots shouldn't even have a user_id.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

warmweer wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:54 pm
jefmcg wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:23 pm Thanks. That was my problem. All the bots were Registered Users. Is that default behaviour or an artifact of my brief foray into SMF before migrating to phpBB?
Probably a leftover from SMF.
Bots shouldn't even have a user_id.
They should have a user_id, but they are treated as special user
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Paul wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:16 pm They should have a user_id, but they are treated as special user
Oops :oops: My mistake. Brain-malfunction. I clicked on a bots name in the Whoisonline and it didn't open so I assumed something without checking the users table (which I have done now locally), and thinking about it - it was a stupid mistake since I added some bots a couple of years ago with a script and had noticed that they were added in the users_table (which implies they must have a user_id).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

When a bot (or anyone) makes a request for something they do not have permission for they are still listed as viewing it in viewonline.
jefmcg wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:23 pm
I had assumed that if bots weren't under groups, then they wouldn't have permissions. I guess I was wrong.
This is correct. When a group is not listed under manage groups and is listed under add groups all permissions default to none.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
jefmcg

Post by jefmcg »

thecoalman wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:59 pm This is correct. When a group is not listed under manage groups and is listed under add groups all permissions default to none.
Thanks. Yep, I've got it. Everything is explained by all the bots being in the Registered Users group. Fixed now.

Of course, I accidentally kicked a non-bot user out of that group at the same time :roll:
warmweer wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:33 pm Oops My mistake. Brain-malfunction. I clicked on a bots name in the Whoisonline
Jinx! I did exactly the same thing, and also assumed you couldn't do anything with a bot user, because you couldn't search for them on the user page. I finally opened the members page for every single group to "prove" that something was fundamentally wrong with phpBB, and then found what was wrong with my installation.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”