Anyone use Amazon Simple Email Service?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
I've Been Banned!

Re: Anyone use Amazon Simple Email Service?

Post by 2600 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:05 pm yes, but why? what are you doing that would require so much security setup?
why do you think your site would be so likely to be hacked?

like I said, I mean no offense about how you decide to setup your security, I have just been curious ever since you started posting about all the things you use for protecting your site. I have never seen anyone worry so much about the remote possibility of being hacked etc.

luck,
robrt
Because I can, and it's been in large part free?

Is that a good enough answer?

Edit-

Do you use an anti-virus?
Last edited by 2600 on Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

EA117 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:14 pm
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:30 am you really can not depend on any information you get about someone based on knowing their IP address.
Based on other posts, I'll assume what you're referring to is geolocation data. i.e. "Looking up the information about your IP address doesn't tell me exactly where you live or where your computer is at." That is correct. For most cases, the IP address can't resolve anyone down to their actual city or street. But nor did we expect that it could, because most geolocation data is simply based on public records.

That public information is just "which ISP or entity owns this particular range of addresses" and "what router in which region does traffic to those addresses pass through." Only an ISP themselves or owning organization would know exactly "between December 3 and December 17, that IP address was in use at service address 123 Main Street." But the ISP isn't telling anyone that info without a subpoena, nor making it part of any public record.

The companies you voluntarily and involuntarily interact with -- the Googles, the shopping sites, etc. -- know exactly what IP address you're using and know who you are as a customer. But they're not making that information public either; or at least, they are getting into huge public embarrassments and customer confidence loss when they do make it public. Public geolocation databases for IP addresses know none of that information.

Neither geolocation nor personal identity are the issue here, though. Being "paranoid about the IP address" is what prevents someone from knowing what address they would need to attack if they wished to attack or distress cyberpcforum.com's server. For as long as John Conner successfully keeps this arrangement, the only thing they're attacking is CloudFlare; which CloudFlare is expecting, and is why they exist.

Exact personal identity is more likely to be disclosed through DNS registration information, which is also public record. But cyberpcforum.com has that base covered as well, by using a private registration service.
Pretty much, but for me I'm not so concerned about the geo location with my website. Rather the fact if one were to see my real origin IP they could use Kali on it with a wealth of tools. While I'm not a hacker and don't really know how to take advantage of CVEs and what not, I'm well aware of the hacking potential out there and I know that if a hacker knows your origin IP then that advances their capability. So as it stands now you have to do some tricks to get my origin IP, and I've tried as best as I know how to mitigate that.

Now my home IP is another concern. I do use a third-party firmware in my router and it does have some basic DDoS capability. For the most part I don't care if this site knows my IP or any other, but for other sites I do use my VPN. Just how I roll. LOL

On the point about geo location, I think, though I can't be sure, it looks like you clicked by profile and you are from the great GREAT state of Texas. :D I would like to move there myself. This state of Colorado is for the birds. Nice to visit, but the people are idiots. And I'll stop there. :lol:
EA117

Post by EA117 »

That could have been me, although I only remember hitting your profile here on phpBB.com, and not in your forum. Maybe you just fortuitously have some other Texan visiting the site. 🤠
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

yes I am from texas but I don't remember ever going to your site.
Come on to texas if you want, but If you come , please don't bring any of those idiots with you , we have enough of our own coming in from the south uninvited.

robert
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

EA117 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:39 pm That could have been me, although I only remember hitting your profile here on phpBB.com, and not in your forum. Maybe you just fortuitously have some other Texan visiting the site. 🤠
Yeah, I saw the referrer from here form someone clicking my profile. I assumed it to be you since you said you clicked my profile.
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:45 pm Come on to texas if you want, but If you come , please don't bring any of those idiots with you , we have enough of our own coming in from the south uninvited.
robert
LOL Yeah, used to live in Californiastan so know all about it. I have lived here in Colorado most of my life though.

Return to “General Discussion”