I'm new to all of this phpBB

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
gojur3

I'm new to all of this phpBB

Post by gojur3 »

OK, so I'm new to all of this. Normally I've been very sucessfull with Frontpage and to be honest become quite the pro at using it [ http://www.gojuryu.net ].

This week I've finally launched a forum at the site.

http://www.gojuryu.net/phpBB/

..... and it took me well over an hour just to figure out how change the logo at the top of the page [and I cheated to do that by uploading my image and changing the name of my image to the phpbb image].

Does anyone know of a WYSIWYG type program or is there a GUI for putting in items such as my logo, page layout, google ads, direct links to pages on the host site, etc?
Keith W

Post by Keith W »

There is loads of info in the support section of this site that can help you do as you want
flogger12

Re: I'm new to all of this phpBB

Post by flogger12 »

gojur3 wrote: OK, so I'm new to all of this. Normally I've been very sucessfull with Frontpage and to be honest become quite the pro at using it [ http://www.gojuryu.net ].

This week I've finally launched a forum at the site.

http://www.gojuryu.net/phpBB/

..... and it took me well over an hour just to figure out how change the logo at the top of the page [and I cheated to do that by uploading my image and changing the name of my image to the phpbb image].

Does anyone know of a WYSIWYG type program or is there a GUI for putting in items such as my logo, page layout, google ads, direct links to pages on the host site, etc?

problem is, that you shouldn't use those type programs for this type of thing. you should use a text editor. front page, dreamweaver, etc. will add their bits of code to the files and corrupt them.
the tpl files are made of up css and html, but that is not all, so a wysiwyg editor won't even display them properly.

just get a good text editor and you will be fine.

robert
gojur3

Post by gojur3 »

flogger12 wrote: problem is, that you shouldn't use those type programs for this type of thing. you should use a text editor. front page, dreamweaver, etc. will add their bits of code to the files and corrupt them.
the tpl files are made of up css and html, but that is not all, so a wysiwyg editor won't even display them properly.

just get a good text editor and you will be fine.

robert

Like I said, I'm new to it! Can you recommend a good text editor, one for the html and css impaired? And if I know HTML or CSS then I would not be asking these question in the first place.
Last edited by gojur3 on Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Wordpad, which comes with windows.
Start>programs>accessories>wordpad
monkeshine

Post by monkeshine »

gojur3 wrote: I cheated to do that by uploading my image and changing the name of my image to the phpbb image].

Is that cheating? That's what I did too :D

Seemed kind of obvious but maybe there is a better way?

I'm new to all this too. It's a great program and very intuitive I am eager to learn more.
sw2000

Post by sw2000 »

monkeshine wrote: I'm new to all this too. It's a great program and very intuitive I am eager to learn more.

Welcome to the world of phpBB!! It's good if you want to learn more.

I found the best way to learn about this software was to read the support forums here and trying out what I saw here.

Of course always backup your original files before editing!!!

I'm sure you'll learn much more soon. Good luck!!
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

Like I said, I'm new to it! Can you recommend a good text editor.

Excellent and free
Shows the line numbers in the code as well.

Crimson editor http://www.crimsoneditor.com/english/download.html

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!
monkeshine

Post by monkeshine »

I found the best way to learn about this software was to read the support forums here and trying out what I saw here.

Yes, for sure the world is wide open! But I'm still having problems with the log in. I found the same problem listed multiple places, and the solutions also posted, but for some reason when I put the new script in I get a parse error. I just don't know enough to see what the problem might be.

Thanks Jim for the tips on using text editors. I downloaded Crimson I'll give it a shot maybe that will work better.
sw2000

Post by sw2000 »

monkeshine wrote:

Yes, for sure the world is wide open! But I'm still having problems with the log in. I found the same problem listed multiple places, and the solutions also posted, but for some reason when I put the new script in I get a parse error. I just don't know enough to see what the problem might be.

Thanks Jim for the tips on using text editors. I downloaded Crimson I'll give it a shot maybe that will work better.

Could you specify the log-in problem? And maybe post a link to your board?

Admin @ Talo
Racing Studebakers

Post by Racing Studebakers »

Talk about new to the phpbb, I don't even know WHAT version I have! My board doesn't even have a number designating the version. I'm afraid it's a real old and hard to update version.

Here's a link, Can someone identify what version I have? I dunno if I even have it configured correctly, I think it's pretty close. I would like to update it for the security and new features. Thanks a million in advance!

http://racingstudebakers.com/v-web/bull ... /index.php
sw2000

Post by sw2000 »

You can see the version number in the Administration panel.

Admin @ Talo
flogger12

Post by flogger12 »

Racing Studebakers wrote: Talk about new to the phpbb, I don't even know WHAT version I have! My board doesn't even have a number designating the version. I'm afraid it's a real old and hard to update version.

Here's a link, Can someone identify what version I have? I dunno if I even have it configured correctly, I think it's pretty close. I would like to update it for the security and new features. Thanks a million in advance!

http://racingstudebakers.com/v-web/bull ... /index.php

you probably have the latest version, that is why there is no version number in the footer of the page. in the latest version it was removed to the admin panel only.

robert
monkeshine

Post by monkeshine »

sw2000 wrote: Could you specify the log-in problem? And maybe post a link to your board?

Hi, my board is temporarily at http://monkeshine.jodoshared.com/phpbb2/index.php but I plan to move it later.

When I log in or out I get a No input file specified Error now. I've been trying to tinker the best I can, and corrected some of the other issues I had, but this one has me stumped.

As I said I made the change to the redirect script as posted on this forum, and the parse error I mentioned is resolved, but now I get the above error. I can't figure out if its a cookie settings problem, a server side problem (DB problem?), a port setting error - I've tinkered with everything I can think of and did two clean installs already.

If you try to log in and get this error, you can go back 2 pages and refresh, and you are logged in. Same method for logging out.

I CAN get into the admin panel and do other functions, just cannot get a seamless log-in or log out. What have I forgotten to do? What have I missed? What is it trying to do and what is it looking for?

Thanks in advance
Racing Studebakers

Post by Racing Studebakers »

sw2000 wrote: You can see the version number in the Administration panel.

Yeeee Haaa! Yep, it was in the admin panel. It's version 2.0.13, and hopefully that's the newest version. Thanks be to sw2000 and flogger12! I really appreciate it guys! Have I mentioned that phpbb is awesome! Thanks again.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”