Test hack my site

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
John connor
Name: Aaron

Test hack my site

Post by John connor » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:12 am

:lol: I saw some services at Fiverr for testing your site against hacks, but they cost you at least a $100. Anyone know of a free service or something cheaper that will test my site?

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Test hack my site

Post by david63 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:54 am

I am sure that if you posted on the "dark web" that somebody would take up your invitation.

Do you have your own server? I cannot see your hosts being very impressed if you don't!
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:23 am

John connor wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:12 am
:lol: I saw some services at Fiverr for testing your site against hacks, but they cost you at least a $100. Anyone know of a free service or something cheaper that will test my site?
Will you need your site back after the test? Or can I just go ahead without taking a backup? :lol:
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:01 am

Are you talking about a phpBB installation or a webserver as any hacking attempt would be different?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

John connor

Post by John connor » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:25 am

warmweer wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:23 am

Will you need your site back after the test? Or can I just go ahead without taking a backup? :lol:
Don't worry about backups. I do that all the time, encrypt them and store them in various places including a DVD/RW disk stored in a fireproof safe. Plus my host makes one offsite backup every 24 hours.

John connor

Post by John connor » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:27 am

Mick wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:01 am
Are you talking about a phpBB installation or a webserver as any hacking attempt would be different?
Primarily a phpBB installation. I've ran some tools but my security immediately throws a 403. Wondering if there are any weaknesses I have and if so what to do to fix them.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:37 am

As has been said in the past, almost ad infinitum, phpBB has no known vulnerabilities. What could you have possibly done to change that? Have you experienced any oddities that look like someones been fiddling?

EA117

Post by EA117 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:17 pm

Mick wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:37 am
As has been said in the past, almost ad infinitum, phpBB has no known vulnerabilities.
The question really doesn't need any more basis than "looking for the unknown ones, then."

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:03 am

I am aware that nothing is "unhackable", however, one has to admit that phpbb has been a target of hackers for years. considering this and the fact that there have been no successful hacks of phpbb3 since it came out in 2007, I would have to say it is pretty safe from hackers out of the box.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:15 am

EA117 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:17 pm
The question really doesn't need any more basis than "looking for the unknown ones, then
Fuelled by paranoia I suspect.

bubbathegimp
Name: Robert Anderson

Post by bubbathegimp » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:52 pm

73 De
Bubba

EA117

Post by EA117 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:46 pm

Mick wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:15 am
EA117 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:17 pm
The question really doesn't need any more basis than "looking for the unknown ones, then
Fuelled by paranoia I suspect.
Possibly. Possibly you even meant that "as a bad thing." 😉 All the vulnerabilities I didn't know about before are because somebody looked for them.

The "it's been years" argument is way more permeable than the sound byte wants us to believe, when new revisions of underlying frameworks are part of the phpBB package. Even if phpBB had changed 0% of its own code, it's possible for vulnerabilities to have been introduced in last week's release, let alone last year's. The goal is to not introduce any, but it happens anyway by the collusion of factors we can't always easily predict.

The man just wants to test his site. "Best case scenario" is that there really isn't anything to find, in which case what's the harm. "Even better case scenario" is that they actually do find something that needs addressed, in which case why would we bend towards dissuading him.

John connor

Post by John connor » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:17 pm

I guess what I'm asking here is the over all fitness of the site at hand, whether that be server or software related. I'm aware that phpBB goes through some kind of security audit? But as mentioned, nothing, and I mean NOTHING is unhackable. I've put in place several layers and was just wondering if they'd stand up to a would be hacker. :D

They say Linux is not prong to malware and what have you, but is it? It's only used in like 90% of all servers and since they have port/s open to the world that opens the possibility for attack.

I need to find a red team vs blue team somewhere.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:36 pm

or... you could just sit back and enjoy your board and not worry so much about the very slim possibility of your board getting hacked. ;) :D

I would bet money that if there were any hacks around for phpbb that we would certainly be hearing about them.

I would bet money that YOU would be hearing about them before most of us would.

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:23 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:36 pm
or... you could just sit back and enjoy your board and not worry so much about the very slim possibility of your board getting hacked. ;) :D

I would bet money that if there were any hacks around for phpbb that we would certainly be hearing about them.

I would bet money that YOU would be hearing about them before most of us would.

luck,
robert
Maybe I've misread, but he said his SITE. Sites generally mean everything. I once got a notice for one of my forums from my hoster that said they had disabled the hosting for the domain temporarily until I had looked over it and gave some links for stuff on my site. Turns out the Wordpress test install, had allowed a third party to create all sorts of files and what not. I deleted everything, emptied the DB and restored a backup, just in case. Changed DB passwords. Then re-uploaded the site including the forum. Point is he's looking for people to test his entire site. He's come here because he trust most of the people here, not to destroy his site. Obviously the way he's gone about posting it in a totally public forum isn't the safest way to go about it as it also attracts people from outside this forum. But as long as he's not straight up posting login creds in public, he really is free to post this. As long as he realizes anything bad that happens to his site because of this post is solely his responsibility and all the liability that implies.
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

Return to “phpBB Discussion”