Need to refresh to see current posts after 3.2.5 update SOLVED

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
AngelM
Name: Angel

Need to refresh to see current posts after 3.2.5 update SOLVED

Post by AngelM »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.4
What is your board's URL? https://marvelousartworks.com/phpBB3/index.php
Who do you host your board with? Lunarpages
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? Yes
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.2.4
What MODs do you have installed? Changed logo to center and increased size
Removed the Search and added it to a tab
Added tabs to the top of forum
What styles do you currently have installed? Prosilver
What language(s) is your board currently using? British English
Which database type/version are you using? I Don't Know
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? Joe
What password can be used to view this issue? 123456
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? Updated from 3.2.4 to 3.2.5
Lunarpages restored board back to 3.2.4 due to problems after update
Please describe your problem. After updating to 3.2.5 the following happened:

1. No current posts would show until you refreshed each page you were looking at. Once refreshed then current post will show for that page.

2. When clicking on Mark Forums Read on Board Index, it will show them as read but once you leave the Board Index and go back to it, it shows posts as unread again.

3. When clicking on Active Topics, it shows you as logged out, but if you click on Board Index you are actually still logged in.

Lunarpages restored our forums back to December 15, 2018 (not sure why they went back that far). Once restore was done the forum appeared to be working properly so I went back and did the 3.2.5 Automatic update again and the same thing happened.

Lunarpages restored the forum again tonight and referred me to this forum for help since they are not the developers of phpBB3.

I am asking for help to understand why this is happening after the update. And, if you think it has to do with the changes that I made in the Prosilver style. These changes were made at least 3 updates ago and I've never had problems, but Lunarpages suggested that could be an issue with this latest update.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your time and efforts.

Angel
Generated by SRT Generator
Last edited by AngelM on Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
david63

Re: Need to refresh to see current posts after 3.2.5 update

Post by david63 »

The problem may be being caused by not having Cookie secure set to yes when you are using https
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Are you using some kind of host-provided one-click update? You shouldn't be. Do this, instead - https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ating-32x/
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
AngelM

Post by AngelM »

david63 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:34 am The problem may be being caused by not having Cookie secure set to yes when you are using https
Nothing in this area has changed since the update.

Thank you,
Angel

stevemaury wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:57 pm Are you using some kind of host-provided one-click update? You shouldn't be. Do this, instead - https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ating-32x/
I updated from the link provided in my ACP https://www.phpbb.com/downloads/ ... I downloaded the zip and followed the instructions for what to do. I've done updates like this for the past couple of years without any issues.

So what you are saying is I shouldn't be doing that download?

Please advise.

Thank you,

Angel
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

AngelM wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:11 pm So what you are saying is I shouldn't be doing that download?
On the contrary, you're doing exactly right.
It would have been a mistake to install a board using the 1-click install provided by many hosts, as these installs could be (and sometimes are) modified by the host (to accomodate for their own setup).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
david63

Post by david63 »

AngelM wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:11 pm
david63 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:34 am The problem may be being caused by not having Cookie secure set to yes when you are using https
Nothing in this area has changed since the update.

Thank you,
Angel
I never suggested that it had - all I am saying is that the setting is incorrect and may the cause of your problem. The issue is symptomatic of being a cookie problem.
David

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
chakoteh

Post by chakoteh »

I'm admin (don't know enough to be though) but I can "look" at things.
Under Server Configuration / Cookie settings, Cookie Secure is enabled with https
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Lunarpages restored board back to 3.2.4 due to problems after update{/quote]

Ok, I see you are saying that your host restored an old version of your database.

I would not accept the offer of a brand new poster to "look" at things.

This is now the recommended method to update - https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ating-32x/
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
AngelM

Post by AngelM »

stevemaury wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:31 am
This is now the recommended method to update - https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ating-32x/
Just so I am clear on this. I am doing the Full Package not the Automatic Update? Then follow the directions on the link you gave me.

Thanks again.

Angel
david63

Post by david63 »

chakoteh wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:24 am Under Server Configuration / Cookie settings, Cookie Secure is enabled with https
It is now but it wasn't yesterday
David

AngelM

Post by AngelM »

david63 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:17 am
chakoteh wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:24 am Under Server Configuration / Cookie settings, Cookie Secure is enabled with https
It is now but it wasn't yesterday
I changed it after you said it should be Enabled. But we are still experiencing the same issues.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Angel

I actually did a full install on my testobard and all the same issues are still there. :shock:
david63

Post by david63 »

AngelM wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:35 am But we are still experiencing the same issues.
But you said earlier that you were only having the problem with 3.2.5 and that your current version of 3.2.4 is OK.

One other question - are you using a caching system such as Cloudflare?
David

AngelM

Post by AngelM »

david63 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:50 am
AngelM wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:35 am But we are still experiencing the same issues.
But you said earlier that you were only having the problem with 3.2.5 and that your current version of 3.2.4 is OK.

One other question - are you using a caching system such as Cloudflare?
Sorry for the confusion. The issues started when we updated to 3.2.5... so we had Lunarpages restore to and earlier date, which took us back to 3.2.4. When they restored to the earlier date everything worked fine.

Then I had to do the update. Once it was done... I checked to see if everything was working fine, but no it wasn't. It was doing that same thing as mention in the OP.

I thought I would try the full package on my testboard to see if I would lose anything (we have over 10,000 lesson images in the forum) so I wanted to be sure nothing would be lost. But... after the update nothing changed. Still same issue as OP.

Oh... I don't know what Cloudflare caching system is... so no I am not using it.

;)
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

AngelM wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:19 am ...
I am asking for help to understand why this is happening after the update. And, if you think it has to do with the changes that I made in the Prosilver style. These changes were made at least 3 updates ago and I've never had problems, but Lunarpages suggested that could be an issue with this latest update.
The update probably isn't the issue, but you mention changes made to prosilver 3 updates ago. What happened to those changes with each update, and did you reapply those changes for the 3.2.5 update?

I just logged in to your board and the strange thing is that when I log out, I seem to be logged out, but clicking on the board index shows me logged in, clicking again = logged out, clicking again = logged in, etc..
This is on version 3.2.4, the version which supposedly does not have the problem.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
AngelM

Post by AngelM »

warmweer wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:19 am
AngelM wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:19 am ...
The update probably isn't the issue, but you mention changes made to prosilver 3 updates ago. What happened to those changes with each update, and did you reapply those changes for the 3.2.5 update?

I just logged in to your board and the strange thing is that when I log out, I seem to be logged out, but clicking on the board index shows me logged in, clicking again = logged out, clicking again = logged in, etc..
This is on version 3.2.4, the version which supposedly does not have the problem.
With each update after the changes all has been well. We have had no issues at all.

When LP restored back to 3.2.4 the first time the forum ran as normal... no issues.

Then I updated to 3.2.5 and the issues were there again. So I asked LP to restore again and let's figure this out.

They restore back to 3.2.4 and I thought it was okay... but realize we have the same issue after the restore.

I'm sorry it's so confusing... is totally confusing to me too. I checked my brand new testboard with no changes to Prosilver and experience the same issues as stated in the OP.

I decided to add my modded theme into the test board and see if anything changed and the testboard acts the same way as my actual forum. But the testboard was just added after having the orginial problem with my forum. I also have a Healthy Living forum and it's doing the same thing.

The log in and log out is what is happening when we click on View Active Topics... it looks like you are logged out, but when you click on Board Index you are actually logged in.

Ummmm... I just don't have a clue.

We are a PaintShop Pro learning forum and have over 1300 lessons with about 10,000 images. Is there a way to totally do a restore or update on the forum without losing the lessons and images? There is years of work put into those lessons.

Thank for helping. Praying you or someone can figure this out.

Angel
Last edited by AngelM on Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”