Mods editing admin posts??

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scottish2

Mods editing admin posts??

Post by Scottish2 »

Hi

Is this possible through a setting or perhaps an extension to let an admin chose what posts of his/hers that a mod can edit or not?

Like for instance I want to add a welcome message that will include a team roster but if I do it I assume the mod can not edit my admin post.

So is there some way to select what if any messages mods can edit of mine. Most I would not want them to edit but the team welcome messages I would want them to be able to update their roster list as they gain new members!

Thanks
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Mods editing admin posts??

Post by stevemaury »

Yes, indeed. Tell them that if they edit any post of yours except the team rosters, they will no longer be moderators.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Scottish2

Post by Scottish2 »

stevemaury wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:49 pm Yes, indeed. Tell them that if they edit any post of yours except the team rosters, they will no longer be moderators.
Can mods edit my post just as it is now? Not yet set my main posting account to mod level yet while I was testing this out so don't know as is just my admin account and a registered user account
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Scottish2 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:47 pm Is this possible through a setting or perhaps an extension to let an admin chose what posts of his/hers that a mod can edit or not?

Like for instance I want to add a welcome message that will include a team roster but if I do it I assume the mod can not edit my admin post.

So is there some way to select what if any messages mods can edit of mine. Most I would not want them to edit but the team welcome messages I would want them to be able to update their roster list as they gain new members!
Make a subforum for the editable messages, and another for the non-editable messages, set the permissions correctly, and post the messages in the correct subforum.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
david63

Post by david63 »

A Moderator with the requisite permissions can edit any post.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Scottish2

Post by Scottish2 »

david63 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:57 pm A Moderator with the requisite permissions can edit any post.
OK Did not know that as I always thought they could edit only their own and users below their pay grade but nothing above guess forums have changed somewhat to allow that now. Good to know!
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Global moderators can edit any post they can see, assuming you are letting them edit posts at all.
</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

Or request an extension, were Mods cannot edit Admin/Founder posts.. if that is possible. But I guess it is.
Scottish2

Post by Scottish2 »

</Solidjeuh> wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:34 pm Or request an extension, were Mods cannot edit Admin/Founder posts.. if that is possible. But I guess it is.
Actually seems to be a default setting as I haven't changed any of the mod settings and I just noticed in my posting account which I set as a mod account for the time being and I can edit my admin posts so must be a default setting.

My one question I have here is I tested something else. It seems my mod account can ban my admin account? From a security stand point how is this even allowed??? A mod should not have any ability to ban an admin account that is a huge security issue in case you had some mod have a dispute with you and knew of this little thing.

If this can be denied how do I need to set it so the mods are denied the ability to ban the admin? Most are team is trustworthy but still is not good to have this ability turned on by default as I have never changed the mods default settings!!!!
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

A Founder account cannot be banned. Even if it seems to be banned, the Founder account can still log in.
Scottish2

Post by Scottish2 »

Brf wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:00 pm A Founder account cannot be banned. Even if it seems to be banned, the Founder account can still log in.
AH OK yeah as I was in my posting account which is only set as a mod nothing more and I saw it let me into the ban control settings for the admin account. I didn't go further then that just in case but it let me in to select what style of ban and such!! Just never saved that.
david63

Post by david63 »

And if you cannot trust them then either they should not be a Moderator or you do not give them the permission to ban users.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Indeed.

The trick is to run the site with a few staff as you can. If you have one forum that's relatively quiet, it doesn't need 4 mods for instance. Give just enough power to just enough people to keep it ticking along nicely. It's often far fewer than you might think but it does depend on the nature of the site. I've got a site with 30,000 members and it's run entirely by only 2 people. On the flip side I've got one with 1000 people but 20 mods because there are several sub-clubs and each one has a mod to look after it. Also, never make someone a mod if they ask to be one. They're usually the worst power hungry people.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Scottish2

Post by Scottish2 »

KevC wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:24 pm Indeed.

The trick is to run the site with a few staff as you can. If you have one forum that's relatively quiet, it doesn't need 4 mods for instance. Give just enough power to just enough people to keep it ticking along nicely. It's often far fewer than you might think but it does depend on the nature of the site. I've got a site with 30,000 members and it's run entirely by only 2 people. On the flip side I've got one with 1000 people but 20 mods because there are several sub-clubs and each one has a mod to look after it. Also, never make someone a mod if they ask to be one. They're usually the worst power hungry people.
Yeah see my case we have 18 teams (Mine included) so I have 17 other team leaders plus one general as it were and I want them to have the ability to moderate their teams and such but also due to the nature of the forum to be able to provide moderation in other areas of the forum in case there is trouble.

So it's like a double edged knife HA HA
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

But, do ALL 17 people need to be mods elsewhere too? I'd be inclined to choose the best one or two of them and make them global mods and that should be enough to look after the rest of the site.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”