VBulletin 3.6.10 to phpBB 3.2.5

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
meisterberger

Post by meisterberger » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:26 am

Looking for any potential guidance for
Any links or help with this?
Thanks much.

For Reference.....
The ONLY part of doing this myself, manually, that I find exceptionally difficult is the creating of "salts" or randomly generated names for avatars for example.
If there were no hashing involved, creating scripts to transfer the data would be infinitely less complex. Figuring out the indexing and cross relationships of the data between tables is an academic chore but not so much a venture into uncharted territory.

For example, phpBB3 takes the human readable uploaded avatar filename and creates a Hash, most likely so that there are no name conflicts, then references that Hash (instead of the actual file name) when calling the users Avatar. I could create random hashes for each Avatar, but I'm not sure phpBB3 would be able to use those externally created (and then copied) Hashes.

How exactly are uploaded avatars handled? I know they are uploaded into the /images/avatars/uploads directory, but there, the name has alrady been converted. Is the hash that refers to avatars a randomly generated hash or is it actually the name of the file, encoded / encrypted?

However, I am not a php programmer and would probably use Coldfusion to create scripts to move and manipulate the data.

I did look at the API Documentation....https://area51.phpbb.com/docs/code/3.2. ... pload.html

public string get_custom_html(user $user, array $row, string $alt = '')

Returns custom html if it is needed for displaying this avatar

Parameters
user $user phpBB user object
array $row User data or group data that has been cleaned with \phpbb\avatar\manager::clean_row
string $alt Alternate text for avatar image
Return Value
string HTML

Maybe I'll have to integrate some of the phpBB API into my own scripts to do those hashing tasks.? Or maybe I'm further from getting this done than I have yet realized.

meisterberger

Re: VBulletin 3.6.10 to phpBB 3.2.5

Post by meisterberger » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:28 pm

Bump

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:56 pm

Did you see this? You won't be able to convert directly to phpBB 3.2.5 though. I think you have to convert to phpBB 3.0 then upgrade.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

meisterberger

Post by meisterberger » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:32 am

Mick wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:56 pm
Did you see this? You won't be able to convert directly to phpBB 3.2.5 though. I think you have to convert to phpBB 3.0 then upgrade.
Thanks Mick.
So I will need to install phpBB3.0.x then run this conversion against my vBulletin into phpBB3.0, THEN upgrade from phpBB2 to phpBB3.....

If I'm understanding this correctly ?

Does it matter which version of phpBB3.0 ? Should I assume the last version?

Thanks again for the assist.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:40 am

I presume to the latest version 3.0.14 then upgrade.

meisterberger

Post by meisterberger » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:23 pm

That makes sense I guess.

Thanks again for your replies. You're the only one who stepped up to help me and I REALLY appreciate it.
Do you do any paid consultation on these matters?

I have a forum that is now offline and I'm trying to move it over to phpBB and it's not easy.

I'll give the route you suggested a shot, but if I fail I was wondering who I might pay for assistance.

Best Regards

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:39 pm

'phpbb_version' => '3.0.5', it is the version hard-coded in the converter above linked.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫

meisterberger

Post by meisterberger » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:41 pm

3Di wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:39 pm
'phpbb_version' => '3.0.5', it is the version hard-coded in the converter above linked.
Thanks. I hadn't gotten that far yet. Sames me the trouble of installing the wrong one then having to uninstall and reinstall again.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:08 am

3Di wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:39 pm
Thanks for that. That being the case some users, when upgrading, recommend going from 3.0.x (3.0.5 in this instance) to 3.0.14 first then 3.1.12 and then 3.2.5.
meisterberger wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:23 pm
I was wondering who I might pay for assistance
Recruiting for someone to do paid work (soliciting) is usually frowned upon in the general forums here but there is now a forum called Wanted! for that purpose. If you wish to use that service please read the rules first.

meisterberger

Post by meisterberger » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:20 pm

Ok,
So the conversion is in progress.

But early on I see this......

Filling Tables

filling table phpbb_posts

then I see a LOT of increasing entries like this......(which I assume cannot be good).....

skip rows = 74,968

So it appears to be skipping a tremendous number of rows.....over 100,000 as I type this.

Is this a failure?
What can I do?

meisterberger

Post by meisterberger » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:09 pm

Wait....found this.....

viewtopic.php?t=579208

so it may be ok.....

meisterberger

Post by meisterberger » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:46 pm

Who, exactly, were the geniuses behind the vb3.x converter to phpBB ?

It worked!

Yeah, a few issues but nothing major.

I'm speechless.

meisterberger

Post by meisterberger » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:02 pm

The passwords did not make the transition...at least my admin password. Not sure about the others.

Could this be because I didn't take the time to match the encoding first? UTF-8 etc....

Or.... is this fairly common when going from vBulletin to phpBB?

If forcing members to reset their passwords is the worst case scenario....I'm really happy.

Not sure yet (since I cant login) if the avatars made it over. will know soon.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:51 am

Try the following to create a temporay admin account:

In phpMyAdmin, run the following, which will create an admin user named Admin1 with a password of admin. From that point you should be able to get into the ACP.

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO phpbb_users (user_type, group_id, username, username_clean, user_regdate, user_password, user_email, user_lang, user_style, user_rank, user_colour, user_posts, user_permissions, user_ip, user_birthday, user_lastpage, user_last_confirm_key, user_post_sortby_type, user_post_sortby_dir, user_topic_sortby_type, user_topic_sortby_dir, user_avatar, user_sig, user_sig_bbcode_uid, user_jabber, user_actkey, user_newpasswd) VALUES (3, 5, 'Admin1', 'admin1', 0, '21232f297a57a5a743894a0e4a801fc3', 'admin@example.com', 'en', 1, 1, 'AA0000', 1, '', '', '', '', '', 't', 'a', 't', 'd', '', '', '', '', '', '');
Change your table prefix if it is not phpbb_

See Executing SQL Queries in phpMyAdmin if you are unfamiliar with running database queries.

As soon as you have done this, use the temporary admin account to change the details on the original admin account, then delete the temporary account.

This is because:
  1. anyone could use that account to log in to your board if you didn't change the password.
  2. this temporary user has not been fully set up (e.g. it is not a member of the "Registered users" group, so it won't have normal access to your forums).
To remove the account you will first need to remove ???founder??? status from it: ACP > USERS AND GROUPS tab > Manage Users > Admin1 > Overview > Founder = No

meisterberger

Post by meisterberger » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:58 pm

That worked like a charm on the first try! I'm back in. (well, I had to add two missing fields, but easy peazy)
Thank you Mick !

Return to “[3.2.x] Convertors”