User private messages

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
poiu

User private messages

Post by poiu » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:48 am

How do I see private messages sent by users in my forum?

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: User private messages

Post by Mick » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:22 am

You can't in vanilla phpBB, the clue is in the name "private". I personally wouldn't use a board that spied on my pm's but there have been similar requests in the past, you will need an extension for that.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Scanialady
Name: Annette

Post by Scanialady » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:49 pm

There are extensions for it, yes.
But: depending on the laws of the country in which you live, you make yourself liable to prosecution if you read the personal messages of your users.
Webseite, Blog, Wiki Deutsche Übersetzungen - german language files
My 2 cents: Whether an extension is in the CDB says nothing about its quality. It is more important to read the support topics for it. Better to avoid authors who do not answer support questions themselves, who do not update their stuff, and who do not fix bugs for years.

TheButcher2

Post by TheButcher2 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:55 pm

Not a good idea, I said my 2 cents in the past about this in this topic viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2503491

So just going to copy and paste that reply.

"Not to sound negative about this but is it nice to read private communications between others, I think not. Never mind that it could also be a privacy violation and potentially be legally hot water. I have never done it on my forum in 14 plus years and would not recommend anyone else to do it.

All the best.

Peace"

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”