Change file.php to a fixed url for attachements

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
reardenlife

Re: Change file.php to a fixed url for attachements

Post by reardenlife » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:22 pm

DavidIQ wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:14 pm
reardenlife wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:03 pm
That's exactly my point.
You point is that you don't understand whatsoever the permissions system?
Yes. I cannot see any use case of it.

In my case, I only need to perhaps prevent hotlinking. That is about it.

What exactly the permission system in phpbb is trying to achieve? Trying to restrict the access to a file to certain forum groups so that one link will work for one user and not work for another? I cannot see the reason why anyone would use such a feature, but I explained how it can be implemented via basic auth.
DavidIQ wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:52 pm
provides any meaningful protection against code execution by uploaded files, all things that file.php handles.
Code execution where? On the server side? It is a job of webserver to decide what can or cannot be executed. And it is a job of system administrator to setup the webserver correctly.

Or do you actually believe that the installation and running of a forum can be done "in a few clicks" by a person who has no clue whatsoever what he is doing?

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:45 pm

reardenlife wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:22 pm
What exactly the permission system in phpbb is trying to achieve? Trying to restrict the access to a file to certain forum groups so that one link will work for one user and not work for another? I cannot see the reason why anyone would use such a feature, but I explained how it can be implemented via basic auth.
It's not as simple as restricting one group or another as was already answered:
DavidIQ wrote:
...does not provide a solution to how one limits access to a file based on forum access levels (which forum a file is posted in matters), area it was uploaded in (PM or a forum), nor provides any meaningful protection against code execution by uploaded files, all things that file.php handles. About the only thing it might be able to handle is allowing guest access to files or not.
We're talking restrictions based on individual user permissions, group permissions, forum access permissions, feature permissions, even file type can restrict file access. I don't see how basic auth provides any of this even with the library you provided a link to. And if you think that this isn't something that is used by board owners then you are definitely disconnected from what board owners actually do with their boards. This isn't a feature that is only present in our software either. The other major board software makers have a way of restricting user access to files/images using a similar method as what we're doing.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

reardenlife

Post by reardenlife » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:46 pm

DavidIQ wrote:
What you just provided a link to does not provide a solution to how one limits access to a file based on forum access levels (which forum a file is posted in matters), area it was uploaded in (PM or a forum),
See AuthDBDUserRealmQuery Directive here: https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/m ... n_dbd.html
AuthDBDUserRealmQuery "SELECT password FROM authn WHERE user = %s AND realm = %s"

reardenlife

Post by reardenlife » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:51 pm

DavidIQ wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:45 pm
I don't see how basic auth provides any of this even with the library you provided a link to.
Well, the point is that one has to use SQL in the webserver settings to do the things you mentioned. For some reason you now saying that all major board producers making the things differently, in a perverse way. This is very strange. Can you provide the links please?

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:58 pm

reardenlife wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:46 pm
AuthDBDUserRealmQuery
I wonder if it is available in a basic apache installation on cheap or free hosting?
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

reardenlife

Post by reardenlife » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:33 pm

canonknipser wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:58 pm
reardenlife wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:46 pm
AuthDBDUserRealmQuery
I wonder if it is available in a basic apache installation on cheap or free hosting?
Well, I do not know. On hosting it is likely only .htaccess files are permitted. This is not suitable for the things I am proposing, since the access of the webserver to DB is required.

But what do you suggesting anyways? To develop the product by centering your efforts towards the needs of other people?

Another question. If I would like to develop some kind of extension for streaming of attached videos, how exactly I suppose to proceed? Through file.php ? :lol:

canonknipser

Post by canonknipser » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:08 pm

reardenlife wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:33 pm
canonknipser wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:58 pm
Well, I do not know.
reardenlife wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:33 pm
how exactly I suppose to proceed?
Well, I do not know.

I'm out of this topic, because you don't listen to anybody but yourself ...
Greetings, Frank

reardenlife

Post by reardenlife » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:19 pm

canonknipser wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:08 pm
I'm out of this topic, because you don't listen to anybody but yourself ...
Just to make it clear.

I am always open to suggestions as long as we speak on the language of reason.

That said, I am not trying to solve anybody's problems but my own. I have a job to do and I will do it in the most efficient way possible w/o any regard to hypothetical users that have no access to their own server. Ok?

canonknipser

Post by canonknipser » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:40 pm

OK, my last statement in this topic, the phpBB software is designed to run on free host, shared host, virtual server, dedicated servers on linux, unix, solaris, windows, with apache, nginx ...
so
reardenlife wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:19 pm
users that have no access to their own server
these user are existing user, no
reardenlife wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:19 pm
hypothetical users
Feel free to modify the software to your needs, it is open source, but don't expect someone else to do so when it breaks the functionality for the majority of the installations - and blaming the developers of phpBB won't help you to get help, I guess.
Greetings, Frank

reardenlife

Post by reardenlife » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:07 pm

canonknipser wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:40 pm
and blaming the developers of phpBB won't help you to get help, I guess.
Just to clarify things.
I am not blaming anyone - it would be counterproductive. I am challenging them by throwing reasonable arguments. The goal is to understand the reason behind the choices they made and get some suggestions to the most efficient way of solving my problems.
It is not about blame or disrespect. It is about reasoning and problem solving.

Have a good day. ;)

DavidIQ
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:12 pm

Oh! If all you wanted were reasons then those were given to you, several times. So if you have a solution that addresses ALL of those and does not simply eliminate some or all of them then you're welcome to provide those solutions in the ticket that was created for this.

There isn't really anything else to say here other than thanks for the feedback.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:01 am

reardenlife wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:22 pm
Trying to restrict the access to a file to certain forum groups so that one link will work for one user and not work for another?
phpBB has to meet the needs of many but also has to try and keep bloat under control. It may not have features some people need and it may have features they don't need. In other words you can never satisfy the needs of everyone. The need to restrict access to files is really going to be dependent on your forum and how you are using it.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “phpBB Discussion”