Missing/lost topics after upgrade to 3.2.5

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
John Robi

Missing/lost topics after upgrade to 3.2.5

Post by John Robi » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:06 am

Hello,

Details:
Running phpBB 3.2.5 with Enabled Extensions: Auto Groups, Board Announcements, Board Rules, External link in new window, Header banner, Quick Reply on last page only, Quick Reply reloaded, Topic age warning & VigLink.
PHP 7.1.14, MySQL 5.1.3, Apache 2.2.24, local : Firefox 65.0.2, Windows 10
This was an upgrade from 3.0.8.

When viewing topics in MCP, there are 41 pages shown with 1010 topics in a category. I click on page 5 and page 1 displays, see image below. I click on page 41 and the contents of page 1 displays. Using the Board Index I navigate to the same category and click on page 5 and I get page 5 though there are no topics listed see image far below. Same with pages 6 to 41, no topics listed.

In ACP I have run all Resynchronise and Purge items. In DB it looks like all topics are there.

Where to look?

I had just clicked on page 5 and page 1 displays:

I clicked on page 5 and there are no topics to display:

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Missing/lost topics after upgrade to 3.2.5

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:46 pm

exactly how, what steps did you follow, did you upgrade from 3.0.8 to 3.2.5 ?

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

John Robi

Post by John Robi » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:09 pm

Hello,

Robert, it was a bit complex. The hosting company sent notice it was closing its doors in a very short time frame. I exported the DB to local host. Then, I used Bigdump to import to xmapp created MySQL DB. I had installed phpBB 3.2.5 on xmapp I then preformed the db upgrade. All reported no errors. I then created a MySQL DB at the new hosting site and installed phpbb 3.2.5 followed by importing the DB to it. All had no errors.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:19 pm

the first thing I would do is make a new database backup but keep the old ones you made from the old server just in case.

did you run the database update after you moved the board and reinstalled it etc.?

try Resynchronising everything from the admin panel.

forums tab; notice beside each forum is a set of buttons. the one with the circular arrows is for resynchronizing.
you have to do it for every forum and subforum.

give that a try and see if the posts etc. come back.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

John Robi

Post by John Robi » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:57 pm

Hello,

Yes, I had already done each point you present. I have all old backups saved from old host and current. I backup first (phpBB & DB) every time before I mess around with phpBB and/or the DB . All sync has been done, Forms tab and General tab etc..

Do note, I now have another issue, with an extension, Topic age warning. I'm am getting a [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning. I will start another topic on it.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:39 pm

John Robi wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:09 pm
I exported the DB to local host. Then, I used Bigdump to import to xmapp created MySQL DB. I had installed phpBB 3.2.5 on xmapp I then preformed the db upgrade. All reported no errors. I then created a MySQL DB at the new hosting site and installed phpbb 3.2.5 followed by importing the DB to it. All had no errors.
I've had issues myself at the BigDump step described there, and it was required that I turn the $linespersession value in bigdump.php all the way down to 10 in order to complete a database restore successfully without stopping half way through. But as I recall there were timeout errors being reported and not just "silent success" (at least on our server), so maybe you're not hitting that.

But based on your symptoms, if they were happening to me, one thing I would do is take that new/current database backup that Robert had you make, and load it up in Notepad++ along with the original backup made from the now-shutdown live site. And compare the phpbb_topics and phpbb_posts tables to see if one appears to be obviously incomplete or truncated compared to the other.

Just as a double-check of whether the complete "old database" backup really did make it into your current board, and that your search is for some more subtle issue than "the data just simply isn't there."

John Robi

Post by John Robi » Wed May 01, 2019 2:54 pm

Thank you, good thought.

Sorry for the long delay in posting this. I've been battling a different issue with phpbb3 and extension Old Topic Warning.

I still have all the saved DB, old host and new. I do use Notpad++ a lot in order to resolve DB issues.

I'll post or update this post after I have a good look.

Thanks again.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”