Unable to access ACH via Safari 12.1

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
tellmethis

Unable to access ACH via Safari 12.1

Post by tellmethis »

I administrate an installation of phpBB 3.2.2 on a remote shared server. I generally access the forum using Safari 12.1 on a Mac running Mac OS 10.13.6.

Perhaps a couple of weeks ago, although I could and can log into these forums as a user, I can't access the ACH. The message I'm shown if I do is Access to the Administration Control Panel is not allowed as you do not have administrative permissions.

It doesn't appear to be phpBB installation specific, because I've tested with another phpBB that I administer. Same error.

However if I try logging into ACH when accessing the same phpBB installation via Chrome 69.0.3497.100, no such problem arises. No problem if using Firefox 66.0.3 either.

So, it seems to be Safari-specific.

I've tried clearing Safari's cache. That doesn't seem to make any difference.

Any tips as to how I can continue to access ACH via Safari, and get beyond this annoying message about not having permissions?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Unable to access ACH via Safari 12.1

Post by Mick »

Presumably by ACH you mean ACP? Please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
tellmethis

Post by tellmethis »

Yep, ACP. Where ACH came from I have no clue. Autosabotage? Will complete template. Thank you.
tellmethis

Post by tellmethis »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.2
What is your board's URL? http://www.alpha1.org.au/aaaforum
Who do you host your board with? https://www.web24.com.au
How did you install your board? Someone else installed my board for me
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.1.3
What extensions do you have installed? OneAll Social Login
VigLink
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver
What language(s) is your board currently using? British English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP but not phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? No answer given
What password can be used to view this issue? No answer given
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? None that I know of. The problem appears to be specific to Safari browser. I user Safari 12.1 on Mac OS 10.13.6. The problem does not arise when using Firefox or Chrome.
Please describe your problem. Problem detailed at viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2509531, but copied here:

I administrate an installation of phpBB 3.2.2 on a remote shared server. I generally access the forum using Safari 12.1 on a Mac running Mac OS 10.13.6.

Perhaps a couple of weeks ago, although I could and can log into these forums as a user, I can't access the ACH. The message I'm shown if I do is Access to the Administration Control Panel is not allowed as you do not have administrative permissions.

It doesn't appear to be phpBB installation specific, because I've tested with another phpBB that I administer. Same error.

However if I try logging into ACH when accessing the same phpBB installation via Chrome 69.0.3497.100, no such problem arises. No problem if using Firefox 66.0.3 either.

So, it seems to be Safari-specific.

I've tried clearing Safari's cache. That doesn't seem to make any difference.

Any tips as to how I can continue to access ACH via Safari, and get beyond this annoying message about not having permissions?
Generated by SRT Generator
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

tellmethis wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:19 pmWhere ACH came from I have no clue
Probably from the past.

tellmethis wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:44 pmIs registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
What username can be used to view this issue? No answer given
What password can be used to view this issue? No answer given
Why? Also: have you considered contacting Safari's support?
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
tellmethis

Post by tellmethis »

It seems this problem arose upon being presented with the ACP login screen, selecting the username / password which Safari suggests, then clicking Login.

By not clicking Login, Safari does pretty much the same thing by itself anyway, but without the problem I was experiencing. Clicking Login causes the problem.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Then disable that Safari feature, at least on that website. Next time please include such a detail into your problem descrption.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
tellmethis

Post by tellmethis »

AmigoJack, your interpersonal skills, the written ones at least, leave a lot to be desired. It's responses like this which leave some users reluctant to ask questions, because of the fear of belittlement.
AmigoJack wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:21 am Next time please include such a detail into your problem descrption.
Had I known of that detail to start with, I wouldn't have created the topic, because I wouldn't have had the problem.
AmigoJack wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:21 am Then disable that Safari feature
Now that the cause is known, the Safari feature isn't necessarily an issue. Plus you assume that the user knows how to disable such a feature, if it indeed can be disabled.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

I always wonder what people expect when they lack basic skills: the internet browser must at least ask me once if an auto-login feature should be used. If you either forgot that setup or that an administrator login is needed for security reasons (both is essential knowledge to me, I'd rather forget birthdays because software can remind me about that) then you're less trustful to me. You must have noticed when using a different browser that you actually had to re-log in - a step that would have been missing with Safari - or do I make a wrong assumption here? Also the feature must be able to get deactivated because passwords can expire or you have multiple account credentials to choose from (also that's as logical to me as 1+1 equals 2) - if you feel offended that I can easily bring up such an example then yes: it's my fault.

You also haven't edited your initial post to change "ACH" into "ACP" - that means you either don't care or you don't even know you can do that. To paraphrase the Joker: Why so unprofessional?
tellmethis

Post by tellmethis »

You make some brave assumptions, AmigoJack. However I'll leave that issue with you, and focus on the topic.

For the benefit of any other MacOS Safari users who may stumble across this topic, see Macworld > MAC 911 > Safari: macOS browser now autosubmits logins. Here’s how to disable it. The root cause of the behaviour changes I experienced.
AmigoJack wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:00 am You also haven't edited your initial post to change "ACH" into "ACP" - that means you either don't care or you don't even know you can do that. To paraphrase the Joker: Why so unprofessional?
Well AmigoJack, of the multiple choice options you provide, surprise surprise, neither are correct.

Had I changed ACH to ACP in my opening post, then that would potentially make Mick look a bit silly because his post, ie. the 2nd post within this topic, wouldn't make sense.

So, I do know how to amend a post, I elected not to, and I care a little more widely about how my actions and words impact on others than what you seemingly do.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”