Quick Links question

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
John connor
Name: Aaron

Quick Links question

Post by John connor » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:34 am

Why is it that under the Quick links link you can only search for active posts while not signed in, but once signed in you can search for new posts? Why wouldn't you want a guest to search for new posts? And can that be changed, or are there consequences I'm not aware of?

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: Quick Links question

Post by HiFiKabin » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:44 am

I am guessing the problem is how to define "new"

If you are logged in, then its new relative to the last time you visited but if you are a guest wheres the starting point? Especially as you might be viewing the board from several different devices (so dropping a cookie would be of no help)

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:41 am

I believe New is based on the session length. If you have it set for 3600 seconds that's an hour, if they don't visit for one hour it's reset and only new topics/posts from their last visit are displayed
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:38 pm

Over the years I found "new posts" quite useless, I tell my users to use "unread" instead. But that is just a personal thing.

New posts depends on the columns user_lastvisit from the user table, which would be changing very often in case of the anonymous user, so (as far as I read the code) that column isn't changed for guests at all.

Tell you guests to use "Active topics" instead.
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:11 pm

This is just for me when I visit this site and other sites using phpBB. I always use the new posts link and it seems like it works for the most part. But I see your point.

That does make since now about how to define when you were logged in, etc. Especially with the absence of a cookie. I never thought of it like that before. Perhaps one metric could be the IP address. Granted one could come from different IPs and having it use the IP would yield a massive database table I'm sure.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:25 pm

Yes. "New" refers to posts made since your last session logon. Since Guests do not Logon, "New" is not defined for them.
I was thinking you could turn on Topic Marking for guests in Load Settings, but it only enables "Unread Posts", not "New Posts".

Return to “phpBB Discussion”