Avatar Gallery - Row and Column Ordering

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
stormo

Avatar Gallery - Row and Column Ordering

Post by stormo » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:45 pm

Hi there,
I added custom avatars that I used on my old phpbb2 board that worked fine and still do in phpbb3. The issue I'm having is that in phpbb3 the ordering of the avatars don't fall into neat columns and rows (as in phpbb2) - as you can see from the screen capture below the icons are ordered into random columns and rows. Adjusting the avatar max width and height doesn't seem to help. I tried looking through code and I can't seem to find the spot to make an adjustment. Would anyone know how to order the Avatar gallery into neat columns and rows. Also when I add a new avatar it seems to append the avatar to an existing list as opposed to inserting the new avatar in order of filename (so same type avatars remain in a group) - purging the cache doesn't help. Thanks for your help in advance.

paulie

Re: Avatar Gallery - Row and Column Ordering

Post by paulie » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:38 pm

I had this exact same issue. It came down to the Avatar size - they all had to be identical in pixel size for the choices to appear neatly in line.
'Life in the Air Age isn't all the brochures say ...'

stormo

Post by stormo » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:58 pm

Thanks paulie, that makes sense my avatars are all identical in width only. Is there a way to fix this through a source code modification? I remember in phpbb2 this wasn't a problem.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:19 am

I suggest you have a search of the extensions forums and, if you don’t find anything to suit your purpose, make an extension request.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

stormo

Post by stormo » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:11 pm

Ok will do thank you.

paulie

Post by paulie » Wed May 01, 2019 9:09 am

stormo wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:58 pm
Thanks paulie, that makes sense my avatars are all identical in width only. Is there a way to fix this through a source code modification? I remember in phpbb2 this wasn't a problem.
I just made all the Avatars the same size to be honest!

It seemed the easiest fix and it definitely worked.

I don't understand the perpetual and bog standard cop out "You'll require an Extension for that ..." answer.

I asked the same question myself here in 2017:

viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2423726

:roll: :?

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Wed May 01, 2019 10:08 am

If you want to continue editing images ad infinitum that’s up to you and there’s nothing wrong with that. Not everybody has the skills, knowledge or time to do that and seeing as how modifying core code is no longer recommended (since 2009) in phpBB an extension would be the way to go. The OP asked:
stormo wrote:
Is there a way to fix this through a source code modification?
hence my reply.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

paulie

Post by paulie » Wed May 01, 2019 10:32 am

Mick wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:08 am
If you want to continue editing images ad infinitum that’s up to you and there’s nothing wrong with that. Not everybody has the skills, knowledge or time to do that and seeing as how modifying core code is no longer recommended (since 2007) in phpBB an extension would be the way to go. The OP asked:
stormo wrote:
Is there a way to fix this through a source code modification?
hence my reply.
No. Your immediate default answer was to direct him to the Extensions Forum and if he couldn't find anything, to then request an Extension. You made no reference whatsoever to core code changes in your response.

You are correct though, not everybody has the skills to resize images, but there are plenty of online resources that will do this for free and in batches. Doing that would be a lot quicker than having to request an Extension that most likely nobody will create anyway, espcially when it's a simple fix that doesn't actually require an Extension in the first place.

As mentioned earlier, I asked the question previously in 2017 and got so much "support", I actually sussed it out myself, it was quicker.

stormo

Post by stormo » Wed May 01, 2019 4:20 pm

paulie wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:32 am

You are correct though, not everybody has the skills to resize images, but there are plenty of online resources that will do this for free and in batches. Doing that would be a lot quicker than having to request an Extension that most likely nobody will create anyway, espcially when it's a simple fix that doesn't actually require an Extension in the first place.

As mentioned earlier, I asked the question previously in 2017 and got so much "support", I actually sussed it out myself, it was quicker.
Hi Paulie,
Thanks for your feedback, do you have a recommendation for an online site that resizes avatars to particular size for images with transparent backgrounds and that don't distort the original image. I agree this approach is probably the most sensible for now.

paulie

Post by paulie » Wed May 01, 2019 4:24 pm

stormo wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 4:20 pm
paulie wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:32 am

Hi Paulie,
Thanks for your feedback, do you have a recommendation for an online site that resizes avatars to particular size for images with transparent backgrounds and that don't distort the original image. I agree this approach is probably the most sensible for now.
Hello there,

How many Avatar images are there in total that want resizing?

stormo

Post by stormo » Wed May 01, 2019 4:29 pm

I have several folders that range from 10 - 50 avatars. Do I need to keep the exact sizes for all folders (this isn't really an issue but its good to know)?

paulie

Post by paulie » Wed May 01, 2019 4:45 pm

stormo wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 4:29 pm
I have several folders that range from 10 - 50 avatars. Do I need to keep the exact sizes for all folders (this isn't really an issue but its good to know)?
As long as they're all the same size in each folder, they'll be alright.

For example you could have 80x80 pixel Avatars in a 'General Avatars' folder and 120x90 pixel Avatars in a 'Reserved Avatars' folder.

stormo

Post by stormo » Fri May 03, 2019 2:21 am

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”