3.2.6 smilies missing (but they are there)

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
joeyb+1

3.2.6 smilies missing (but they are there)

Post by joeyb+1 »

OK, this is a bit left-field and there is some additional backend complexity which I need to explain in order to ask for the correct assistance.

3.2.6 - no smilies. everything else seems to work OK.
besides the site logo no longer appearing (previously sitelogo was used)

OK - here's the scenario.

Host 'a' running phpbb3.2.4 stable and fine.
Host 'a' informs account holders a hardware migration and new hosting platform is occurring within a week (4 weeks ago)
migration from old hardware to new location is completed, but new site cannot be tested due to mysqli issues. tickets raised with host.
meanwhile host pushes on with deploying a non-working solution (lots of customers) and cutover occurs without notification
several support tickets raised during this time - none answered helpfully or resolved.

Sick of host, I employ host'b' to migrate data, forewaring them of existing issues.

Super-helpful bunch at chemicloud - cannot say enough about their customer support (free plug and many thanks)

data is migrated, validated, but the sql is indeed corrupt and the phpbb frontend is not behaving as it should.
download phpbb3.2.6 and install new package over the lot except for the usual directories and config.php.

everything is working for the last 12 hours, except that smilies are not visible.
I have removed and reinstalled the smilies pak(s) several times.
despite all attempts, none work.
I installed some other styles (dark / prosilver) for testing to see if importing the styles may assist. no.

I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I can manually patch and diff files if need be - problem is I cannot see why the images don't load, and if there is some strange php knob/function that needs to be turned on -

host mentioned the php version is still stuck on 5.5 to ensure compatibility and I'd like to update that and the SQL version to the 'most stable - latest' but I have no idea what those would be.

Install is vanilla phpbb3.2.6 and I have not yet experienced any issues that are in the announcement list, or issues others have raised.

But I do seek some assistance on where to commence troubleshooting the smilies that refuse to load despite their being present and correctly installed.

any help appreciated.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: 3.2.6 smilies missing (but they are there)

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

how about a link to the board in question and a test account so we can login and attemtp to post with a smilie etc.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

joeyb+1

Post by joeyb+1 »

HI robert, I am in the process of this, but the issue requires an acp login, for which naturally I am not comfortable with supplying to an open phpbb board.

the issue is partly viewable by a normal user, but it is only half an indicator to the issue.
smileys_in_acp
smileys_in_acp
Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.6
What is your board's URL? https://ozbenz.net
Who do you host your board with? chemicloud
How did you install your board? Someone else installed my board for me
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed?No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.0-B1
What MODs do you have installed? <none>
What extensions do you have installed?
Enabled Extensions
Ban Hammer 1.0.8
Google Search & Site Verification 3.2.3
ImageMagick Thumbnailer 1.0.1
Lightbox 2.0.0
NavBar Search 3.2.3
Site logo (3.2) 2.1.0-rc6
Stop Forum Spam 1.1.9
Sur.ly 2.4.1

Disabled Extensions
CloudFlare IP 1.0.0
Google Translator 1.0.2
PayPal Donation Extension 2.0.1
VigLink
What styles do you currently have installed? Prosilver, ProsilverSE(disabled), Digi<all variants, but disabled> Disabled styles due to 'known issues' invalid form submit bug (have not patched the styles)
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? I Don't Know
What is your level of experience? New to PHP but not phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? No answer given
What password can be used to view this issue? No answer given
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? We had a 3.2.4 install on host A (servageone) who decided to migrate us to their new HW/SW platform. During this process, they corrupted the DB and it threw a mysqli error on line 3 (that is all I could provide as I had no access to data during migration) I raised several support tickets about the inaccessibility to test prior to them migrating the site and pushing it live - all of which went ignored.
3 weeks into this horror and without any live site (they had disabled the old server) I employed a new host (B - chemicloud).

Host B imported all the data from Host A's migrated site. I had no ability to access the backups on the original host a site...
After 72 hours of meticulous work by host B customer support team, the site was migrated, but not without issue.
I provided host B with phpbb3.2.6 from the phpbb website, and they installed it as per upgrade procedure.
Everything updated OK and without error.
The site was and remains accessible.
Please describe your problem.
Smilies (all of them) are not visible. The forum logo will not 'centre'
I deleted all of the smilies, reinstalled all of the smilies paks and still they do not function. The smilies themselves are not visible in the acp smilies list (shows blank icon or a ? ) but the smilies import OK.
the smilies files are viewable as images and not corrupt, when viewed on the server share.

I had no issues with access or invalid form submission for about 30 hours. then the issue occurred and I patched all the files as per phpbb known issues for 3.2.6, by using the HiFiKabin zip ( https://phpbb.hifikabin.me.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=186 )

So the 'known issues' have been mitigated by a patch.

But the smilies are still not displaying, despite diabling all extensions, reloading smilies, and turning on/off extensions individually until I find a cause. Bottom line is, none of the extensions are causing the issue.

issue 2:
Secondly, the foum logo is somehow offset to the left and not able to be centred. I have checked the .css, but I cannot for the life of me understand why occasionally the phpbb logo appears in replies to topic pages, and returns on the main page. I do have david63's extension in effect, but it has not worked since the 3.2.6 install (i.e. it did work perfectly on 3.2.4 on the old host A original site)

I am now lost for investigating possibilities, as I am not an excellent db or php person.

Ideally, I would like to simply know if a complete 3.2.6 reinstall would fix this, or if there is a table in the DB that is still corrupted, or perhaps it is worse than that and the tables are even more corrupt.... which would mean the whole site has no clean backup, since host A has royally stuffed everything.
Generated by SRT Generator

.m.

Post by .m. »

^ you can post here a normal user account & someone can check the issue

or you can send a temporary acp login to Robert (/ other known helper)
through PM and later delete that testing admin account

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

joeyb+1 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:41 am
I deleted all of the smilies, reinstalled all of the smilies paks and still they do not function.
I do not know what you mean by "reinstall smilies paks". If you did not copy up the images properly -- in binary mode -- they would show those question marks. Adding a pak file only does the database part of the smilies. It does not upload the images. The files I checked for in your images/smilies folder are not there.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”