mobile verification

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
skia

mobile verification

Post by skia » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:28 pm

User have an option to verify authenticity via mobile text. Once that happen we could upgrade user status and give some new privileges.

Plugin would reduce creation of fake accounts.

potku

Re: mobile verification

Post by potku » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:03 am

This is actually a great idea. :)
Potku.net

"Before I speak, I have something important to say."

- Groucho Marx

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:24 am

There are two issues with this idea:

1. What happens if a user does not have a mobile phone - how would they get access? And yes I know that the majority of users do have a phone but there are still some people on the planet that do not!

2. The gateway interface between phpBB on a server and a mobile network is not free - you need an account which, last time I looked, was not cheap.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Fri May 03, 2019 6:51 am

skia wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:28 pm
mobile text
Does this also include me using my netbook while travelling?

Consider using XMPP (formerly Jabber), a messenger protocol which is supported by phpBB since 3.0.0 and by numerous other software, including those for smartphones. It doesn't cost anything, is not bound to smartphones and an alternative to i.e. e-mails.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Fri May 03, 2019 8:12 am

There are already less complicated ways of preventing fake accounts.

Bot registration is easy to stop with the right Q&A captcha.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Holger

Post by Holger » Fri May 03, 2019 8:17 am

I use this kind of system to allow (urgent) users to activate their own accounts via SMS.
mosms.com
Spammers would never do this (and IF they do they pay).

skia

Post by skia » Sat May 04, 2019 8:44 pm

@david63

1. Verification would be optional. It would be an increase of trust and maybe change in forum privileges.
2. phpBB could make some profit from provisions from the link between phpBB and network paid by forum admins. Could you send link to potential costs?

@AmigoJack

1. It would involve having a physical phone number which require SIM card. Does netbook have one? How difficult is to fake the number?
2. Where do I start with the Jabber. Seems complicated.

@KevC

1. Verification would be optional aiming at increase user trust, not only confirming identity.

@ Holger

Is that a service where users can purchase a membership? :)

Anyway,

After giving bit more thought to the idea I am now not sure about it as sharing mobile number might be too private for users especially for small forums (Have no experience in that matter).

Holger

Post by Holger » Sun May 05, 2019 4:44 pm

skia wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:44 pm
@ Holger

Is that a service where users can purchase a membership? :)
Yes, MOSMS can be used for subscriptions to ... but I only use it for calling a file with parameters in my forum.
When a new member registers and chooses Sweden as country he then gets a unique code in the verification email. When sending this code to a special MOSMS number the code is used to activate the account via the MOSMS API and a function in the forum.
This way the new member can activate their accounts by themselves and it is spammer proof.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Mon May 06, 2019 7:11 am

skia wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:44 pm
Where do I start with the Jabber. Seems complicated.
Stick to https://xmpp.org/getting-started/ and create accounts for both you (for testing purposes) and your websites (for outgoing messages), then activate it in the ACP by providing account credentials. You can test it by adjusting your global board settings of "Notification method" to "Both" and then trigger a notification event (i.e. sending a PM from another account or replying to a topic you subscribed to). Once you assured notification messages are also sent thru XMPP we can go to the next step.

Not sure which part is complicated to you, so you have to ask a more precise question.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Return to “Extension Requests”