Users dont get email when registering account

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
garfy

Users dont get email when registering account

Post by garfy » Wed May 01, 2019 8:48 am

I got fw emails from people that have this problem. I switched to php 7 few days ago and I treid to create account myself with my email .

I never got any email when i registered to confirm account.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Users dont get email when registering account

Post by Mick » Wed May 01, 2019 10:17 am

What version of PHP 7?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

garfy

Post by garfy » Wed May 01, 2019 10:48 am

cPanel 70.0 (build 68)
Apache 2.2.34
PHP 7.0.33
MySQL 5.6.41-84.1
Perl 5.26.0

I think 7.0 33??

garfy

Post by garfy » Wed May 01, 2019 10:49 am

PHP 7.0 (FastCGI) [Beta, check site functionality for compatibility after enabling]
All files with the extension .php will be handled by PHP 7.0 FastCGI processes.
FastCGI for PHP makes all your PHP applications run through mod_fastcgi instead of mod_suphp. This eliminates the overhead of loading the PHP interpreter on every hit. Since it is always in memory ready for the next hit, the responses will be generated faster.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Wed May 01, 2019 11:08 pm

Google "test php mail" and you'll find some scripts you can upload to server to determine if it's server configuration issue.

garfy

Post by garfy » Thu May 09, 2019 2:12 pm

it worked with test.php

but again today I got email that confirmation email is missing

EA117

Post by EA117 » Thu May 09, 2019 3:57 pm

Good to know the test .php worked. I presume you left it set to simply use the PHP mail() function, and not specific SMTP ports or login info.

Does the "Send test email" in phpBB's own Email Settings section also work? And phpBB is presumably configured for "Use SMTP to send email: No"?

If the answer to everything above is "Yes", it sounds like maybe your mail provider (meaning your hosting service, since that's who's mail you're using) is dropping messages it believes to be spam. This would impact everyone who was supposed to receive that kind of email, because the mail is being dropped rather than forwarded by the hosting service.

Another possibility if "no mail succeeds, not even the phpBB test email" that your phpBB is configured to use your hosting service's mail servers, but you're providing a "sent by" or "from" email address which is not for a domain your hosting service handles, and looks "foreign" to them. (e.g. Using your hosting service's mail to try and send an email as "myforum@gmail.com", or "myforum@yahoo.com", for example.) See Knowledge Base - EMAIL - Easy setup (NOT SMTP) which talks about this, and recommends creating a mailbox through your hosting service, so that the mailbox will be from a domain your hosting service manages.

One other possibility is that only "some" users (yourself included) are failing to receive the mail, because their mailbox's inbound mail system (not the phpBB host server's outbound mail system) has decided the message is spam. So some users would therefore receive the mail successfully, and others would not, depending on their inbound spam processing. In this kind of scenario where the outbound mail is actually being sent, you can use services like mail-tester.com to score how "spammy" your outbound mail appears to be, and things that could be changed to address that.

I've been in the scenario where my hosting service was dropping phpBB-standard emails because it triggered their spam filters, even though the "Send test email" in phpBB proved the ability to send an email was working. The workaround was to change the email templates (e.g. /language/en/mail/) such that they were more unique than what phpBB provided by default. So that the messages phpBB was sending wouldn't match the subject or content patterns the outbound spam filter was concerned with.

Ultimately I just chose to use an independent external mail service, and to setup phpBB to use SMTP to connect to that external service, rather than keep fighting the restrictive spam assertions. It's apparently not uncommon -- especially for lower-cost hosting tiers like mine, I imagine -- for the spam suppression to be aggressive, to push back on spammers utilizing those platforms.

For this same reason, note your hosting service may also block communication from your phpBB hosting service over standard SMTP ports like 465 or 25. So you might want to check whether external SMTP services are even reachable from your phpBB hosting service, if deciding to switch to using an external mail service.

garfy

Post by garfy » Thu May 09, 2019 4:18 pm

Hi board test emails works...smtp is set to no
can you register on my board to ee if you get confirmation
Usually GMAIL just puts email into junk....or just deletes it...that happened some time.....

but in most cases it goes into junk folder....I dont know why

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Thu May 09, 2019 5:26 pm

You can test your mail here:
https://www.mail-tester.com/
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

garfy

Post by garfy » Thu May 09, 2019 6:31 pm

EA117

Post by EA117 » Thu May 09, 2019 7:31 pm

garfy wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:31 pm
I just tested it
https://www.mail-tester.com/test-f1g3z&reloaded=1
It seems ok...
That is one type of test, but you essentially tested "sending yourself an email." Not phpBB trying to send (meaning the manner in which your hosting service is configured to send) the actual email that phpBB will send.

Register as a new user, and provide the mail-tester-generated mailbox as your email address, and let mail-tester.com receive and score the actual welcome email that phpBB sends. Such as this test: https://www.mail-tester.com/test-4mcjs

Looks like there are a couple issues there to discuss with your hosting service, with regard to the MX record and the SPF record.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Wed May 15, 2019 12:12 pm

Retest using the email sent from phpBB as suggested but it appears the SPF record appears to be wrong. With a correct record it will improve deliveralibilty, an incorrect record will cause email to get dropped because that is the purpose of the record. You are better off with no record than incorrect one.

garfy

Post by garfy » Wed May 15, 2019 12:15 pm

can you tell me exactly what to tell to my host?

EA117

Post by EA117 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:05 pm

One other thing that might be in your control before continuing the hosting support conversation:

The https://www.mail-tester.com/test-4mcjs test was pointing out that your email message has a "From:" field of "admin [at] badbreathhalitosis.com", but the message itself is from "badbreat [at] box516.bluehost.com". The mail-tester report then went on to say there wasn't an MX record for box516.bluehost.com. Both of these conditions pulled the score down.

Since you're not using SMTP, do you happen to already have "Force from email address:" set to "Yes" in the email settings page? I am wondering whether that might be honored by the sendmail configuration on your hosting server, and make the email message be sent as "admin [at] badbreathhalitosis.com" instead of "badbreat [at] box516.bluehost.com". If this setting is currently "No", set it to "Yes" and then make a new mail-tester.com test of a new user registration email and share the test result URL here.

Because if "badbreat [at] box516.bluehost.com" is eliminated from the email sending process, maybe that eliminates most of the conditions that otherwise we would have said the hosting provider would need to address.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Fri May 17, 2019 10:38 am

garfy wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:15 pm
can you tell me exactly what to tell to my host?
The SPF record is part of your DNS records so it depends on where the DNS records are hosted. If the domain registration is through your web host contact them. If the domain registration is through someone else do a whois lookup to see who is hosting the nameservers, it could be the registrar or the web host.

In any event you need to either correct it or remove it. Ideally you want to correct it, if you have correct SPF that will improve email delivery. Most servers will not drop email without SPF record but they may put it in spam box. You want to create as strict as record as possible. Do some research on SPF.

Also keep in mind since it's DNS record the changes will not be immediate, it may take a few hours or days before the changes propagate.

Give a few hours and retest the email, retest until you get a green light on the SPF record. As far as anything else being flagged you should try and fix most of those problems. You can ignore the SamAssasssin score and the content score because you'll never get perfect score for that. You can also ignore the warning about DMARC however that can also be added to DNS record if you want.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”