Fake PM Notifications

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Swanny

Fake PM Notifications

Post by Swanny »

So I've had this problem for a while now and I need help fixing it. Someone tried forwarding two PMs to me (I'm admin) and they never reached my inbox. But I do see the "2" notification circle and I can't get rid of it:
two-pm.png
Now if you go look in the database, you can see the entries but I can't delete them! They are the ones with msg_id of zero:
privmsgs-to-db.png
How on earth can I delete these 4 invalid lines in the phpbb_privmsgs_to table?? As you can see at the top of that second screenshot it says "Current selection does not contain a unique column. Grid edit, checkbox, Edit, Copy and Delete features are not available." so it appears I can't actually delete them.
Wirral Talk

Re: Fake PM Notifications

Post by Wirral Talk »

Firstly I'd check where the messages ended up in phpbb_privmsgs, has that table also got a row with msg_id of 0? If not, can you find the msg_id of the correct row?

I'll mention that its normal for that table to have no unique column (and hence grid editing disabled).

It is worrying that a msg_id of 0 was created and that may be indicative of another underlying problem (or perhaps just an unfortunate time-out).
Swanny

Post by Swanny »

Wirral Talk wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:30 am Firstly I'd check where the messages ended up in phpbb_privmsgs, has that table also got a row with msg_id of 0? If not, can you find the msg_id of the correct row?
There are no rows in phpbb_privmsgs with a msg_id of 0.

Any ideas on what SQL command I can write to delete the 0 entries in phpbb_privmsmgs_to ? Could I write something like:

Code: Select all

DELETE * FROM phpbb_privmsgs_to WHERE 'mod_id' = 0;
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Yes, but you don't need the "*". Backup that table first.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Swanny

Post by Swanny »

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I may make a test copy of that table and try it there first now that I think about it.
Last edited by Swanny on Thu May 30, 2019 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swanny

Post by Swanny »

Thanks! It worked, I cleared the cache but that circle 2 disappeared! 8-)

Code: Select all

DELETE FROM `phpbb_privmsgs_to` WHERE `msg_id` = '0';

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”