Firefox Extensions: Privacy and Security

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Heo32

Firefox Extensions: Privacy and Security

Post by Heo32 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:35 am

I'd like to share a few extensions I use to increase the security and privacy while browsing the Internet. Without diving deep into the reasons why these extensions are used, I'll let everyone read up on these to decide if they can benefit from them as well. Here they are:

Introduction

Main page:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

Stay Safe Online:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... fe-online/

Explore more ad blocker staff picks:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -blockers/

Explore more privacy & security staff picks:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... y-matters/

My Favourites

Adblock Plus
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... lock-plus/

DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... r-firefox/

Ghostery – Privacy Ad Blocker
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /ghostery/

Malwarebytes Browser Extension
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... warebytes/

Privacy Badger
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -badger17/

uBlock Origin
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ck-origin/

Bonus:

Since the release of Firefox 67, it is now possible to block known Cryptominers and Fingerprinters.

Tools > Options > Privacy & Security > Content Blocking: Custom
- Trackers: In all windows
- Cookies: All third-party cookies (may cause websites to break)
- Cryptominers
- Fingerprinters

Note:

Some extensions can (and likely will) cause some websites to stop functioning properly over time, if not immediately. Temporarily disable one extension at a time if or when this happens, then refresh the page (F5) to find out which one is the culprit. The only one that has done this to me so far is Privacy Badger, but it can easily be fixed by going to Tools > Add ons > Disable (for any of the extensions).
Last edited by Heo32 on Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Firefox Extensions: Privacy and Security

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:35 pm

thanks for the info.

however, I have been working on the net since 1995 and in all that time I have only had two viruses and both of them were silly mistakes on my part.
I have always run a good anti virus program.

as to malware, I am not sure what that is if it is not a virus and my antivirus always stops all of that.
as for popups, they are usually ads and I don't mind ads very much.
cookies can't hurt you.
I do set firefox to not track me but don't really mind it too much.

by the way, I do access many sites that might not be considered really safe etc. and do not have any problems.

I don't use facebook or any other social media, I don't put personal info on websites. I don't need anyone to know where I am or where I'm going at any time.

I guess my point is that in most cases, there is not that much danger that a good antivirus and common sense won't protect you from.

oh well, to each his own I guess.

remember, just because your paranoid does not mean that "they" are not out to get ya!!

robert

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:18 pm

I've read that Chrome has now gotten rid of the ability to block ADs, and so with Firefox being the Chrome copying crap they are may follow suit.

My browser is Pale Moon and it's been Pale Moon since Firefox changed the UI to mirror Chrome way back then. I was a long time user and supporter of FF all the way back to Phoenix and the Mozilla suit browser. Not anymore.

Pale Moon doesn't use the asinine security plagued Webextension code for add-ons, but rather the tried and true XUL code for add-ons. Plus, PM has its CVEs patched all the time plus DiDs (Defense in Depth) CVEs that aren't really an issue now, but can be. So it really is a secure browser especially with the ability to poison canvas data among other things. I also have very little fingerprints by default. WebRTC is mitigated as well.

I run the browser in Sandboxie. This is a sand box like virtual environment that can help keep rouge crap at bay. I used to use a swear by NoScript, but it got way too cumbersome with a wealth of websites using vast amounts of JS just to do simple things. So I got rid of NoScript and depend on Sandboxie to help keep things at bay.

I don't use an anti-virus. I don't browse shady sites and scan all downloads at Virus Total and check downloads that provide a hash against their hash. I used to run Faronics Anti-executable and/or Shadow Defender.

My current privacy/security add-ons are as follows:

AlertStopper

Cipherfox

Decentraleyes

Foundstone HTML5 Local Storage Explorer

Privacy Badger

RefControl

UAControl

uBlock Origin for Pale Moon with malware lists and privacy lists, etc

User Agent JS Fixer

I have a plethora of other "hacker" related add-ons as well like Live HTTP headers.

I only got one virus in my life in circa 2004 when I didn't know anything about computers and crappy AVG on my Windows 98se computer failed to do anything. After that I vowed to never get owned again and learned my complete butt off about malware and protecting yourself against it, etc.

I scan my computers every now and then with several scanners ranging from FreeFixer which lists items that were recently added to your Comp along with a clickable link to research that item along with its hash and Virus Total result. I also use Sanity Check, Stream Armor, Ring3 API Hook Scanner, SuperAntiSpyware, TDSSKiller, and several others. Never once got malware and I've also used scanners to search for hacking team crap. If and that's a big IF I get an infection or what ever I can pull out my clone that's encrypted and copied to an external HDD kept in a fireproof safe meant for electronics. These safes can be had on eBay for around $35. I also encrypt all of my computers and USB sticks. My phpBB board is also backed up periodically, encrypted in a 7Z archive and placed in a Truecrypt container which is then saved on multiple hard drives, my local FTP server, Amazon S3 storage, DVD/RW and Blu-ray BDRE. Yeah, I never EVER want to lose my hard work.

In a nut shell, paranoia, security and backups are my forte and I DO run a tight ship. Even with my website. Nothing wrong with being a little paranoid. It may save yourself from getting owned and tea bagged. And I've done a LOT of that in COD Modern Warfare. My user name was ɃᶅΆCKɱǟǥȉʗ spelled with non normal characters to mitigate a kick vote since my name would appear and say something like, "you were killed by CK." Only the most prudent knew I was cheating my butt of and initialized the kick vote. But to the others they were like, "who's CK? I never saw him cheat." :twisted: Thus no kick vote succeeded. Anyway, stay off my lawn would be hackers and those that think they can own. I'll own you!

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:22 pm

Redacted.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:43 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:35 pm
as to malware, I am not sure what that is if it is not a virus and my antivirus always stops all of that.
Malware is something typically installed by user purposely without knowledge of it being a PITA, a toolbar on your browser for example. It's not necessarily destructive or doing something anything different than something that can be useful so it may not be tagged as virus.
remember, just because your paranoid does not mean that "they" are not out to get ya!!
This is actually quite a big a issue. For example serving up ads based on your past preferences is old school. That bit of information about yourself is part of the whole about everyone. These tech giants have accumulated massive amounts of data and with that data they are using complex algos and even AI to develop patterns to make very accurate predictions about things that can be very private and personal.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:46 am

thecoalman wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:43 am
develop patterns to make very accurate predictions about things that can be very private and personal.
They are not that good - they cannot tell me the winning lottery numbers :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:52 pm

recently one person won a major lottery using the numbers he got in a fortune cookie. he did have to play those numbers for years though.
so don't go out and spend your savings on fortune cookies.

robert

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:26 am

Well, the title is abut extensions and privacy & security, but the content also includes guides and mostly targets to fight ads. Using uMatrix will help you understand what each website wants to load, and you'll start to be happy that a couple of those will break unless you allow certain resources. Excluding ads is more or less a side effect of it.

I have been working on the net since 1995 and in all that time I have only had two viruses and both of them were silly mistakes on my part.
I have always run a good anti virus program.
I've started in 1995, too, and have also gone the way with anti virus software, then started using a desktop firewall. By starting to use a HIPS (that was Kerios/Sunbelt Personal Firewall plus a software by Diamondsoft or similar to only allow whitelisted processes to start) I abandoned using anti virus software and never had any issues or unstable systems. Today I'm using Agnitum Outpost which also has a process whitelist - that not only keeps me from malware being ever executed, it also taught me how suspicious or strange a software installation can be (and how to avoid unwanted guests that way, too). If I download something that cannot be unpacked but insists on being installed I run it thru Sandboxie so my system is not polluted by unnecessary drivers and programs.

Works very good, but also needs your will to learn. And I've learnt anti virus software brings nothing but problems - let alone the energy and performance they waste on scanning your files again and again.
as to malware, I am not sure what that is
The category of all viruses that do things you don't want, which can include nagware, ransomware and such.
cookies can't hurt you
Privacy wise they can, that's why third party cookies should be avoided.

Return to “General Discussion”