Migrate data from custom forum

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
larynx

Migrate data from custom forum

Post by larynx » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:05 pm

I'm looking to migrate an existing custom-made forum to phpBB 3.2.7.

I need to migrate the users, messages and threads. I was thinking about writing a script that reads a row from an existing forum DB table and writes the data to the phpBB table with the fields in their proper format and location.

Is that the correct way of migrating data or should I use some other way?

Thank you

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Migrate data from custom forum

Post by david63 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:34 pm

larynx wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:05 pm
I was thinking about writing a script that reads a row from an existing forum DB table and writes the data to the phpBB table with the fields in their proper format and location.

Is that the correct way of migrating data?
Basically yes, but there is a lot more to it than that. Many of the phpBB tables are interlinked so you would need to understand the phpBB database structure so that you added the correct data into all of the relevant tables. There are several functions within phpBB that would make some of this task easier
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:31 pm

larynx wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:05 pm
I'm looking to migrate an existing custom-made forum to phpBB 3.2.7.

I need to migrate the users, messages and threads. I was thinking about writing a script that reads a row from an existing forum DB table and writes the data to the phpBB table with the fields in their proper format and location.

Is that the correct way of migrating data or should I use some other way?

Thank you
You mention threads.
phpBB uses topics (flat) and thus if you are really using a threaded forum, that information will be lost.
I suggest you install a phpBB-board to see exactly which data your forum doesn't have so that you have an idea of the necessary scripts which have to be written (in order to fabricate the inexistent data).

Everything is feasible but depending on the size of your forum it could be a large job.
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

larynx

Post by larynx » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:42 pm

I managed to import the users by selecting all the data from the previous users table and running each row with the user_add function from includes/functions_user.php

I saw that there is a submit_post function in includes/functions_posting.php that I can use to create new posts but I haven't found the proper function to create categories and forums.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”