MySQL Update from 5.6 to 5.7

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
bipolarmorgan
Name: I dont

MySQL Update from 5.6 to 5.7

Post by bipolarmorgan »

Has anyone had any issues upgrading to MySQL 5.7 while using phpBB 3.2.x ?? I am trying to avoid potential MySQL vulnerabilities, without breaking the forum. I would prefer to know in advance if there will be any "hangups" during this process.

Please let me know if you need more information to give me an answer ... Thanks in advance! :ugeek:
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: MySQL Update from 5.6 to 5.7

Post by Mick »

According to the specs it’s ok https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... uickstart/

Make backups of everything just in case.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
bipolarmorgan

Post by bipolarmorgan »

Mick wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:39 am According to the specs it’s ok https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... uickstart/

Thanks, but I was hoping for someone with experience in this update (IE: have done this update), to see if there are nuances that may cause an issue. While I can see from your information that it should run properly on 5.7, I was wondering specifically if there are known issues when updating from 5.6 to 5.7 ... if that makes sense. And of course I would make backups just in case, as that is upgrade 101 ... LOL

I'm assuming I can just hop into the WHM and upgrade mysql without any issues and just want to confirm my assumption...

Thanks for any information provided!
sakm
Name: Stu

Post by sakm »

bipolarmorgan wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:18 am
Mick wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:39 am According to the specs it’s ok https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... uickstart/

Thanks, but I was hoping for someone with experience in this update (IE: have done this update), to see if there are nuances that may cause an issue. While I can see from your information that it should run properly on 5.7, I was wondering specifically if there are known issues when updating from 5.6 to 5.7 ... if that makes sense. And of course I would make backups just in case, as that is upgrade 101 ... LOL

I'm assuming I can just hop into the WHM and upgrade mysql without any issues and just want to confirm my assumption...

Thanks for any information provided!
I'm in the same position too

I have been putting it off for this reason although I suspect everything will go fine and if not my host will be able to bail me out :lol:

I have also contemplated on upgrading to Maria DB too!
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

my mother was a software test engineer for xerox back when they were the big thing in PCs ( before bill gates started ).
she taught me about computers and started me off. the best advice she ever gave me was " backup and then click the button and see what happens".

the "backup" part sometimes included physically backing up away from the machine as well as making backups. :lol:

anyway, as long as you have backups you really can't break anything so bad that a few clicks won't recover.

go for it.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
bipolarmorgan

Post by bipolarmorgan »

I'm surprised this hasn't come up with anyone yet ... I would have figured someone would have backed up their db and bit the proverbial bullet and upgraded their mysql by now. I've been waiting just because I have to take my website(s) offline to do this update and I hate taking the website(s) offline.... I really need to get a better redundant setup someday...

Anyway, thanks for the input guys, I'll update here after I bite the bullet myself and do the update so future users can have some peace of mind prior to the starting of this process themselves.
sakm wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:00 pm I'm in the same position too

I have been putting it off for this reason although I suspect everything will go fine and if not my host will be able to bail me out :lol:

Ya, I have Maria DB on my devserver and it works fine, so I might upgrade to maria db on the production side as well... If you do hit the button before I do, feel free to reply back here and let us know how your experience was. If I beat ya to it, I'll post here as well and let you know how it went.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

bipolarmorgan wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:37 am I'm surprised this hasn't come up with anyone yet ... I would have figured someone would have backed up their db and bit the proverbial bullet and upgraded their mysql by now.
If a million people have done this and there was no problem, you would not read about it here.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Generally it' not recommended to continue using the original database after upgrading MySQL. The recommedation is to export the databse, upgrade MySQL and then import the backup.
Having said this: I've always just upgraded without needing to export first and then import and never encountered a problem.
BUT!! taking a backup before any manipulation is a no-brainer. (And if you're using MyISAM engine, a physical copy of the database directory is as good a backup as an export - do not do this with InnoDB > guaranteed corrupt.)
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
bipolarmorgan

Post by bipolarmorgan »

bipolarmorgan wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:37 am
sakm wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:00 pm I'm in the same position too

Ya, I have Maria DB on my devserver and it works fine, so I might upgrade to maria db on the production side as well... If you do hit the button before I do, feel free to reply back here and let us know how your experience was. If I beat ya to it, I'll post here as well and let you know how it went.
I'm definitely contemplating going to MariaDB instead of MySQL ... anyone have thoughts on this?
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

The transfer of databases between different versions of MySQL or MariaDB should be performed by EXPORT / IMPORT of SQL files using phpMyAdmin or a similiar tools of your choice.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
bipolarmorgan

Post by bipolarmorgan »

3Di wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:23 am The transfer of databases between different versions of MySQL or MariaDB should be performed by EXPORT / IMPORT of SQL files using phpMyAdmin or a similiar tools of your choice.
I did do some research and am aware of this. And as always, I know the golden rule - BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP... But any experience with this upgrade?
bipolarmorgan

Post by bipolarmorgan »

3Di wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:23 am The transfer of databases between different versions of MySQL or MariaDB should be performed by EXPORT / IMPORT of SQL files using phpMyAdmin or a similiar tools of your choice.
And by similar tools, will a mysqldump work as a backup to import into MariaDB ? I'm reading also that I must go to version 10.0 of MariaDB from MySQL 5.6 ....
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

Sorry but, all of this it doesn't looks to me as a support's ticket / request.
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
sakm
Name: Stu

Post by sakm »

3Di wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:19 pm Sorry but, all of this it doesn't looks to me as a support's ticket / request.
Might be best moving it in to phpBB Discussion

Its always worth reading other peoples configurations and if they have ever had problems migrating to different versions of sql :)
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

Sure, but since I've been quoted twice and received notifications I don't want it to seem like I'm ignoring people, rightly in my personal logic I offer support in the support area if I think it's due.

Return to “General Discussion”