Different incoming and outgoing email addresses?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Petie
Name: Petie

Different incoming and outgoing email addresses?

Post by Petie » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:41 am

Apologies if this is covered somewhere - I did a few searches but the closest I could find was from the archived 3.0 support forums and it seems a lot has changed since then.

I'm considering migrating a couple of my forums from MyBB to phpBB (provided I can find a working converter for MyBB 1.8.x to phpBB 3.2.x) but I'm running into a roadblock or two. The main one I'm hitting right now concerns emails sent to and from the forum. It seems that the contact and from addresses in ACP > General > Client Communication > Email Settings are used for all email communication (displayed error messages, outgoing addresses for things like user registration and subscription notifications, and incoming emails via the contact page). Is there any way to separate the outgoing and incoming addresses so I can still utilize the contact form but have outgoing mail come from my noreply address?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

janus_zonstraal

Re: Different incoming and outgoing email addresses?

Post by janus_zonstraal » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:51 am

You can choose a outgoing email address in ACP
The incoming is always the address from the admin(s)
so they can be different
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

Petie

Post by Petie » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:35 pm

From what I can tell, that doesn't appear to be the case. It seems the settings I mentioned control the destination of the "Contact Us" page in the footer unless I'm misunderstanding something. Is there a different place I should be looking in the ACP?

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:05 pm

The admin(s) email settings are in the ucp not in the acp
UserControlPanel under profile
Like here on this board ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=reg_details

Petie

Post by Petie » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:29 pm

janus_zonstraal, I appreciate your efforts to help here but unfortunately, that's not how it works. The contact us link at the bottom that presents a form to send a message to "Administrator" uses the ACP contact address as its recipient. I just tested this to confirm. As currently configured, it doesn't seem there's a way to separate the incoming and outgoing addresses.

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:51 am

It is working so on every phpbb board I know but not on yours?

Mail from the contact form goes to the admin(s) address(es)
Just tested again.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:41 pm

Petie wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:29 pm
As currently configured, it doesn't seem there's a way to separate the incoming and outgoing addresses.
Correct, and as documented on the ACP Email Settings page, the "Contact email address:" configuration will "always be used as the From and Reply-To address in emails."

You could use the "Contact email address:" in ACP to configure the desired "outbound" email address, and then modify the /phpbb/message/admin_form.php submit() function to pass your hard-coded alternate "inbound" email address to message->add_recipient(), in place of the default for retrieving the $this->config['board_contact'] configuration. As described in this thread.

You would have to re-apply or otherwise ensure the non-standard change stays in place during future phpBB updates, though.

Petie

Post by Petie » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:26 pm

EA117 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:41 pm
Correct, and as documented on the ACP Email Settings page, the "Contact email address:" configuration will "always be used as the From and Reply-To address in emails."
Looks like my search wasn't quite as thorough as it could have been. While I'm not crazy about changing core files, this seems like a pretty simple and effective way to handle this particular problem. Thanks!

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”