Cursive font

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.2.
I've Been Banned!

Cursive font

Post by 2600 »

When I use the cursive font it doesn't really look like cursive on my computer, but in my smartphone it does. So I'm wondering if my OS is missing this specific font? I'm using Windows 7. If it is a specific font, what font would that be so I can install it?
Morpheus: Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You'll have to see it for yourself.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
The nature of my chosen username
:ugeek:
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Cursive font

Post by Brf »

That would depend on which cursive font you are using and how you are using it. On my workstation, I probably have 20 or 30 different "script"
fonts to choose from.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

John connor wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:05 pmthe cursive font
Such a thing does not exist - find out its actual name.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

On Windows machine the font would need to be installed to be available for all applications, some applications may have their own library of fonts that are not installed and only available to that application.

If this is for web page this is special case because you provide a URL in the CSS to the file for download so a browser/machine that does not have the font can display it. The file can be served from your site or linked to external site like Google which has font service.

https://fonts.google.com/

Googles service give you option to download or link directly to their files. Do a search for CSS web fonts.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

thecoalman wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:40 am On Windows machine the font would need to be installed to be available for all applications, some applications may have their own library of fonts that are not installed and only available to that application.

If this is for web page this is special case because you provide a URL in the CSS to the file for download so a browser/machine that does not have the font can display it. The file can be served from your site or linked to external site like Google which has font service.

https://fonts.google.com/

Googles service give you option to download or link directly to their files. Do a search for CSS web fonts.
I'm using the Advanced BBcode Box 3 extension. Don't know how to implement that.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Moving this to styles support.
thecoalman wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:40 am Do a search for CSS web fonts.
https://developers.google.com/fonts/doc ... ng_started

I may be wrong but I don't think you can do this inline with BBcode and the font would need to be added using the head tag method or in a CSS file
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

you need to check (eg. with with the browsers development tool) which font-family is active for the element which should be in that specific format.
There can be, as already mentioned, several reasons for the different behaviour.
Maybe you don't have the specified font(s) installed on you computer, or your browser don't recognize them, or you style has different fonts defined for standard and mobile resolutions in the responsive parts of the style.

Without a link to an example it's just a wild guessing.
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
EA117

Post by EA117 »

John connor wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:58 am I'm using the Advanced BBcode Box 3 extension. Don't know how to implement that.
To me it looks like you probably just used [font=cursive][/font] in the message, and ABBC3's action in that case is to simply reflect "whatever you specified" as a font-family property in a style directly applied to a span, e.g. <span style="font-family:cursive;"></span>.

So nothing has "caused" or "guaranteed" that any kind of script or "cursive" font is available on whichever browser platform happens to be viewing this HTML document. But what has been done is to "politely ask" that CSS try and pick a "cursive" family font, if one is available.
On your Windows machine apparently there is not one available, or maybe Comic Sans is the "closest match" available even though it's not very cursive-like, etc.

"Cursive" is one of the pre-defined generic font family names supported by CSS, but it's up to each browser implementation to decide which if any of the current platform's installed fonts should match any given generic category. So the actual result will vary even among different Windows machines, let alone different OS platforms. And a font that Chrome might select as "this is generic cursive family" might not be the same thing Firefox picks, etc.

Usually the intention, like thecoalman and others are pointing out, is that you've guaranteed that a particular font is available, by pulling the font from Google in your overall_header.html or similar. And then give that specific font name in your "font-family" property. Such as including Satisfy from Google in your overall_header.html, and then using [font=Satisfy][/font] in ABBC3, so that CSS ends up with "font-family:Satisfy".

The only reason to also specify "cursive" is as a "last-chance fall back" in case something goes wrong with including the explicit font you wanted. e.g. By specifying "font-family:Satisfy, cursive", now you've indicated to CSS "if Satisfy isn't available, please at least try to pick something from the generic cursive family." But your hope and intention is that CSS never gets as far as having to resort to applying "cursive".
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

EA117 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:10 pmpulling the font from Google
I'd consider hosting that resource myself so users of my board wouldn't be exposed to Google tracking referers.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

To be honest, I have no idea what any of this means. I'm code stupid. All I want to do is download the appropriate font for my computer, install it and then let all of my users know what font they need and give them the download link in my announcements subforum.

I don't know anything about Google font this and that. I also asked this question here: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... pic/206291
Morpheus: Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You'll have to see it for yourself.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

John connor wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:47 pm All I want to do is download the appropriate font for my computer, install it and then let all of my users know what font they need and give them the download link in my announcements subforum.
Fair enough, and understood. It's just not very "web-savvy" of you 😁 when you achieve such high technical marks in so many other areas.

It would be like saying "here's a PDF document... BUT..... the PDF isn't going to embed the correct font such that the document will be readable as intended. So here is a list of fonts for you to go download and install onto your computer, tablet, phone, or whatever first before trying to open this PDF document."

A web site (and your web site) already has all the technical capability necessary to make them see the font you intended them to see, without the visitor to your site having to "pre-install" anything.

And it's actually not even difficult... it's only the "unfamiliarity" that makes it seem daunting. Open up your overall_header.html template and add the following line to your <head> section, same as if you were trying to include any other new style sheet:

Code: Select all

<link href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Satisfy&display=swap" rel="stylesheet">
Now in your posted message, use [font=Satisfy]some text[/font].

Then.... beer time. 🍺 🍺

sometext.png
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

The fonts I have are already there to use through a BBcode so I would just like the cursive font that's available to the user to render.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
david63

Post by david63 »

John connor wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:47 pm I also asked this question here: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... pic/206291
And you got the answer there.
John connor wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:33 am The fonts I have are already there to use through a BBcode so I would just like the cursive font that's available to the user to render.
The bottom line is, as you have been told, either you have to add the font to your board or the user has to have it installed and the only way that you can guarantee that is to install it on your board.
John connor wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:47 pm I don't know anything about Google font this and that.
Then I suggest that you post your request in the "Wanted" forum.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

Can I just get the code to add to overall_header.html for cursive because that's what the font is called in the drop down box.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

cursive is a fallback font which any user should have already installed in their PCs.

https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_fon ... family.asp
generic-family - The name of a generic-family, like "serif", "sans-serif", "cursive", "fantasy", "monospace".
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Return to “[3.2.x] Styles Support & Discussion”