[3.2][BETA] Advanced Points System

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
mrgoldy
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: Gijs

Re: [3.2][DEV] Advanced Points System

Post by mrgoldy » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:40 pm

Cause of exactly this reason.
There are always people (read: non-extension writers) who want more. And once they got that, they want even more. If points are done? Shop. If shop is done? Lottery. Lottery done? Paypal integration. Thanks for posts, auto groups, mChat, pages, should I continue.
You clearly do not know anything about developing and maintaining an extension. And you are literally all repeating the same question while it has already been answered multiple times.

We, 3Di and I, do this "on the side". Heck, literally every extension writer on here, does it on the side, besides their main daily job. Even phpBB's Development team. So apart from our regular job and life, we do this, as a hobby. So time is already limited, while code developing is a rather time consuming job.

So, why we are not "extending" the other points sytem? Cause of various reasons, first of all, it's not our extension. I helped develop it but that was long ago and since did not maintain it and it's in dmzx's capable hands. And he's been doing a fine job doing so. Secondly, we have indeed a greater vision in mind, with quite a few of the 'requests' already made (and answered..), so we needed to have a different set up.

One of the biggest issues developing a points extension - or any extension for that matter - is not developing it, or maintaininig it, but satisfying all the new, and new, and new requests. So we created this extension with a different set up, so it is fully extendable. Not only by ourselves, but also by all other extension developers, if they want to. So that will take care of all of the users' "Can it work with X extension?" requests.

And no, points are not useless without a shop extension, it's a matter on how you use them. You can define "costs" to post in forums. Heck, you can even make it so points can be purchased with actual money and you have a paid support forum. That being said, yes, we do have a shop in mind, aswell as some more extension that can extend a points system, but as mentioned before, things take time. And requesting the same thing over and over doesn't change the timeline. We have other things to do, other extensions, our own website, and more. This is just a side project we do to provide an extension and possibilities for the phpBB community.
phpBB Studio / ''Proud member of the Studio"

weezzle

Post by weezzle » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:40 am

Cause of exactly this reason.
There are always people (read: non-extension writers) who want more. And once they got that, they want even more. If points are done? Shop. If shop is done? Lottery. Lottery done? Paypal integration. Thanks for posts, auto groups, mChat, pages, should I continue.
You clearly do not know anything about developing and maintaining an extension. And you are literally all repeating the same question while it has already been answered multiple times.
you are absolutely write, us people that have no skills in coding have a lot to ask for, and most do not donate to you coders that bring us these excellent
ext.
but as some mentioned, there is the Ultimate Points by dmzx that works very well so why not just build on that ?

i'm not knocking anyone down, i appreciate the hard work that the coders do to bring out these ext. but as i said why make a point system that already is there and take 2 more years to make a store for it when you can spend the time just to make a store for the point system that everyone is already using

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:46 am

weezzle wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:40 am
but as i said why make a point system that already is there
I find it hard to explain better than we've already done (especially @mrgoldy) that this is another system.
weezzle wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:40 am
and take 2 more years to make a store for it when you can spend the time just to make a store
We can make it in way less time if we get the time and the will since...
mrgoldy wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:40 pm
We have other things to do, other extensions, our own website, and more. This is just a side project we do to provide an extension and possibilities for the phpBB community.
And especially because that's free. Hope is all clear now. :geek:
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫

teebling

Post by teebling » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:18 am

mrgoldy wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:40 pm
snip
Point taken friend, we all appreciate the incredibly hard work that all the ext writers put into these free extensions. If a request for a shop is too much at the moment then so be it - it wasn’t my intention to offend.

Saying that I don’t know anything about ext writing and maintenance is true because I don’t know PHP. However that isn’t to say I don’t know anything about bloody hard work - I have been working non stop on my own site and have their requests to fulfil too (for free) so I’m in a similar situation, bear that in mind.
Image My World of Warcraft: Classic forum

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:32 pm

Also, please remember this topic is about "[3.2][DEV] Advanced Points System" so please stay on topic, there are, after all, other discussions about shopping trollies around here.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:43 am

I'm told we're close to the event. :P 🧀

mrgoldy
Jr. Extension Validator

[3.2][BETA] Advanced Points System: Beta release

Post by mrgoldy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:58 pm

Advanced Points System [BETA] has been released!

Download: Download page

[BETA] Please note: this is a rather large extension and while we did excessive testing ourselves, there might still be issues with this extension. So please, do not install on a live board! Instead only install in a testing environment, test the extension extensively and report any bugs and/or issues you may find.

Luixx

Re: [3.2][BETA] Advanced Points System

Post by Luixx » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:26 am

Excellent extension for phpBB!!

Congratulations to all the team that works hard on development, mrgoldy, 3Di and who else is involved in this ambitious project.

Personnel who insist on suggesting that Advanced Points System is another extension on point picking is completely wrong. The possibilities with this system are many, it is completely open to be incorporated by other extensions. The management system is efficient, easy and intuitive. The structure was well made, covers a wide range of possibilities.

And yes it is possible to spend the points acquired by the members of the forum, it is enough that one has the permission to accomplish this task. It is done manually is not automatic debit points as in the Ultimate Points extension of dmzx.

Advanced Points System has its own DNA and opens several possibilities for its application. Everything will depend on how you will use this extension.

phpBBStudio thanks for sharing, thank you for all the time and dedication invested in this project! You are to be congratulated.

3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:21 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience and the kind words. :)

NastyBoy
Name: Tim

Post by NastyBoy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:21 pm

I would like to know what to do with the points? Can I redeem the points for anything? As an admin I have to explain to my users what they can do with the points!

3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:35 pm

NastyBoy wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:21 pm
I would like to know what to do with the points? Can I redeem the points for anything? As an admin I have to explain to my users what they can do with the points!
Take some time to read this topic and you'll find answers to your questions. Thanks.

SalyaDarken

Post by SalyaDarken » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:53 pm

This is interesting.

If it can be add but can there be two kinds of points like Gold and Silver points? Oh something like that?

3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:28 pm

No.

mrgoldy
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by mrgoldy » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:50 pm

No, it is not possible to have two type of points. It's too much of a hassle. Both developing and administring.

Points can already be used for posting costs, when points are negative.
Moreover, we are currently working on a Shop System where administrators can add items and users can purchase them.

Having said that, please do not ask for a download or an ETA for the shop..
We're working on it but it's not the only thing in our lives.

Cheers 👨🏼‍💻

SalyaDarken

Post by SalyaDarken » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:48 am

Oh okay. I was just wondering.

Oh well this work with the ext Ultimate Points? I know that ext isn't being updating... as far as I know. lol

Return to “Extensions in Development”