Cyberbots

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
n5tc52

Cyberbots

Post by n5tc52 »

I am being inundated by cyberbots, no matter what I do, other than shutting down registrations. I use the Q/A spambot technique. Would using reCAPTCHA help. Is there anything else that I can do?

Thank you,
Tom
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Cyberbots

Post by KevC »

They can be stopped quite easily with Q&A but you have to ask the right kind of question.

Anything you could find with a simple internet search will not work. So that means no simple general knowledge or maths questions.

Ask something about your site or your logo or a word in your description. They need an understanding of the question to find the answer.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

A link to your board so we can suggest a good question?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
n5tc52

Post by n5tc52 »

Forex Station

Post by Forex Station »

n5tc52 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:46 pm
www.tb-ac.org
Easy. Ask registering members to answer "What is your favorite Motohome?". And set registrations to being approved by Admin first.

That'll keep all the baddies away.
Proudly powered by phpBB for almost 4 years now: forex-station.com :mrgreen:
Global Alexa rank: 40,500
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

You can try that question captcha, or the sortables captcha in my signature or take it up a notch and go CIDRAM which is far, far more powerful with its ability to use the Stop Forum Spam database, AbuseIPDB database, the blocking of nefarious IPs, etc. I use both CIDRAM and the free version of Ninjafirewall myself. I also use CloudFlare and that cuts down some crap especially with all of the ASN I have added and UA blocks.

You should also have your board set up so that any new post by the newly registered group is held in moderation queue. That way a spam post doesn't see the light of day. You can then ban the user and unapprove the post which will delete it. This is what I do. I the 4 years or so I have had my board up, I've only reported to the Stop Forum Spam website about 4 spammers that slid by. Which meant they were human and not a bot. There's no way as of now a bot is advanced enough to know which words to select in my captcha let along move then to the right side to throw away.
Morpheus: Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You'll have to see it for yourself.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
The nature of my chosen username
:ugeek:
ukautoforums

Post by ukautoforums »

StopForumSpam plugin helps.

I disagree with the Q&A approach as it causes a big admin headache, it put off members joining and they will end up asking you. And it doesn't stop spammers, they are real people and can answer surprisingly tricky questions.

Administrator approval will block spammers, but also means another admin headache. When you run a large forum(s) its not possible to manually approve logins.

You could build up an email block list. This is mine so far:

*@*.ru
*@gmailnet.com
*@*com.com
*@hotmail.org
*@*.edu
*@hotmail.net
*@*.xyz
*@*.com.org
*@mailline.net

I am also looking into the possibility of using cloudfare and blocking countries.
It would be nice if a country block could be built into PHPBB

It would also be nice if a shared spam database, similar to StopForumSpam could be implemented. A spammer blocked and reported on one phpbb board would result in a block and ban on all PHPbb boards around the world. Imagine how great this would be.

Spammers can build up a list of phpbb sites using Hrefer, then using XRumer post spam to them. It would be nice if PHPBB had some way of detecting bot activity from Hrefer or XRumer and blocking it.
ukautoforums

Post by ukautoforums »

John connor wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:30 pm
You can try that question captcha, or the sortables captcha in my signature or take it up a notch and go CIDRAM which is far, far more powerful with its ability to use the Stop Forum Spam database, AbuseIPDB database, the blocking of nefarious IPs, etc. I use both CIDRAM and the free version of Ninjafirewall myself. I also use CloudFlare and that cuts down some crap especially with all of the ASN I have added and UA blocks.

You should also have your board set up so that any new post by the newly registered group is held in moderation queue. That way a spam post doesn't see the light of day. You can then ban the user and unapprove the post which will delete it. This is what I do. I the 4 years or so I have had my board up, I've only reported to the Stop Forum Spam website about 4 spammers that slid by. Which meant they were human and not a bot. There's no way as of now a bot is advanced enough to know which words to select in my captcha let along move then to the right side to throw away.
CIDRAM looks interesting, have you just installed the script and included the file on one of the PHPBB includes?
Have you had any issues with it or does it generally work ok on the forum?

Thanks
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

ukautoforums wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:19 am
I disagree with the Q&A approach as it causes a big admin headache, it put off members joining and they will end up asking you. And it doesn't stop spammers, they are real people and can answer surprisingly tricky questions.
The overwhelming majority of spammers are bots.
Q&A works just fine. I get around 10-15 new accounts every day and get maybe 2 people a year who can't figure out the answer.

The bots crack it about 2-3 times a year (I suddenly get 15 accounts in an hour) and all I have to do is change one letter in the question and they stop again instantly. Tied to that, the newly registered users group works a treat in that none of the members ever actually see any spam that might get through.
ukautoforums wrote:
I am also looking into the possibility of using cloudfare and blocking countries.
It would be nice if a country block could be built into PHPBB
That is far more effective at the server level than the software level. One problem there is that countries don't have specific IPs or ranges. You would have to rebuild how the whole internet works to do that properly.
ukautoforums wrote:
Spammers can build up a list of phpbb sites using Hrefer, then using XRumer post spam to them. It would be nice if PHPBB had some way of detecting bot activity from Hrefer or XRumer and blocking it.
But it's not usually a bot from them that's doing it. It's a bot that looks and acts exactly as a real person would.

It is and always will be a constant battle against them. Anything can be beaten given enough time and effort to do it. We just have to try and stay one step ahead of them.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

ukautoforums wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:25 am

CIDRAM looks interesting, have you just installed the script and included the file on one of the PHPBB includes?
Have you had any issues with it or does it generally work ok on the forum?

Thanks
PM sent.
Morpheus: Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You'll have to see it for yourself.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
The nature of my chosen username
:ugeek:
n5tc52

Post by n5tc52 »

KevC wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:22 am
They can be stopped quite easily with Q&A but you have to ask the right kind of question.

Anything you could find with a simple internet search will not work. So that means no simple general knowledge or maths questions.

Ask something about your site or your logo or a word in your description. They need an understanding of the question to find the answer.
Thank you. I tried everything, Captcha, GD, etc. and none worked. I rewrote the Q/A simply and haven’t seen one since.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”