Custom Profile Field visibility (bug)?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
BigBlockMopar

Custom Profile Field visibility (bug)?

Post by BigBlockMopar »

I've added a number of custom profile fields, which only the user, Admin's and 1 specific usergroup is allowed to view.
But as it turns out by checking with a few Regular user's permissions, every user can see the added custom profile fields.

This option is selected and active;
Hide profile field:
Hide the profile field from all other users except the user, administrators and moderators who are still able to see this field. If the Display in user control panel option is disabled, the user will not be able to see or change this field and the field can only be changed by administrators.
Checked all kinds of permissions, but I can't see why 'everyone' can still see the custom profile fields?
Signatures are overrated...
david63

Re: Custom Profile Field visibility (bug)?

Post by david63 »

How are you checking this? If you are swapping a user's permissions with those of an Admin then that may be the problem. You need to create a new "basic" user and log on with that user.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
BigBlockMopar

Post by BigBlockMopar »

Ok thanks.
I did create a new user and wasn't able to see the fields, but I thought that, somehow only earlier members were able to see the fields. Maybe because of an earlier change in permissions or something.

I'll do some more checking to confirm your reply.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

When you are "testing" another user's permissions, you still retain your own admin permissions.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Which is nonetheless "bizarre".. :) ;)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
BigBlockMopar

Post by BigBlockMopar »

Well, up to a point maybe, because there has to be a way to get out of the permission-test.
But I agree (and I don't know if there are any other issues also present), this could/should be better implemented.
craperos

Post by craperos »

I am having exactly the same problem and I have sufficient knowledge in managing permissions in phpbb.

"when I activate these options":

1 Show profile field publicly:
The profile field will be displayed in all available places within the configuration / load parameters. Setting this as "no" will hide the pages field of topics, profiles and member list.

2 Show in User Control Panel:
The user is able to change this profile field from the User Control Panel.

3 Hide profile field:
Hide the profile field from all other users except the user, Administrators and Moderators who can still see this field. If the option to Show on the user control panel is disabled, the user cannot see or change this field and the field can only be changed by the Administration.

Result:
It is no longer visible for all registered user groups, except for administrators and moderators who can see it. But the user himself does not see his custom field here:

/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=48

But option 3 says that it hides all other users except the user itself. So this seems to be a phpbb bug, I tested it in a clean phpbb installation and the same thing happens.

Making a new test different leaving 1, 2 activated and deactivating option 3 mentioned above

Result:
It can be seen for all registered user groups, administrators, moderators and the user.

Which shows that there is a bug and option 3 is not working hide profile field for everyone except the user, administrators and moderators.

In my forum some custom fields of my users are private and sensitive information, without this option working, any common member can see their custom fields and read their information.

I hope you can help solve this serious problem that violates the privacy of registered users and webmasters cannot respond if phpbb does not solve this problem for us
URL:
Plantilla(s) usuada(s): (Prosilver)
Ext: (Portal board3)(ultimatepoints_v122)
Versión de phpBB: (3.2.7)
PHP version: 7.1.26
david63

Post by david63 »

craperos wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:36 am I hope you can help solve this serious problem that violates the privacy of registered users and webmasters cannot respond if phpbb does not solve this problem for us
Have you reported your findings in the Bug Tracker? If not then it is unlikely that this "bug" will get fixed.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
craperos

Post by craperos »

david63 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:17 am
craperos wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:36 am I hope you can help solve this serious problem that violates the privacy of registered users and webmasters cannot respond if phpbb does not solve this problem for us
Have you reported your findings in the Bug Tracker? If not then it is unlikely that this "bug" will get fixed.
Bug Tracker Here:
https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-16109
URL:
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

craperos wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:36 am I am having exactly the same problem and I have sufficient knowledge in managing permissions in phpbb.

Result:
It is no longer visible for all registered user groups, except for administrators and moderators who can see it. But the user himself does not see his custom field here:

But option 3 says that it hides all other users except the user itself. So this seems to be a phpbb bug, I tested it in a clean phpbb installation and the same thing happens.
The "View Profile" page is showing your "public" profile, as your profile is seen by other users. Therefore, it should not show those fields, as they are not visible to other users.
craperos

Post by craperos »

Brf wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:10 pm
craperos wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:36 am I am having exactly the same problem and I have sufficient knowledge in managing permissions in phpbb.

Result:

The "View Profile" page is showing your "public" profile, as your profile is seen by other users. Therefore, it should not show those fields, as they are not visible to other users.
This is how you say. That is why option 3 is not fulfilling its function of hiding from other users except the user, administrator and moderator. Everyone else with this option activated should not be able to see the public profile. The problem is that the user himself cannot see and that is wrong. If not, why is this option 3 if you activate it or do not do any function? It has no coherence ...
URL:
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

craperos wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:36 am That is why option 3 is not fulfilling its function
No. You just said above that Option 3 was hiding it from everyone on the view profile page. Which is how it should be.
craperos wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:36 am

Result:

craperos

Post by craperos »

Brf wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:30 pm
craperos wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:36 am That is why option 3 is not fulfilling its function
No. You just said above that Option 3 was hiding it from everyone on the view profile page. Which is how it should be.
craperos wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:36 am

Result:

except the user itself
I do not say it. The phpbb engine that provides that option says so.
He says it very specific: Hides everyone, except the profile itself. Why when this option is activated does not show my own profile?
URL:
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

You have already reported the problem in the tracker and it has been reviewed right now, you just have to wait for the problem to be solved.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

As I already explained. The Profile Page is intended to be your profile "as viewed by other users". Therefore, a profile field which is invisible to other users would be invisible to the profile owner also. That is as intended.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”