Forum not working anymore

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
warmweer

Re: Forum not working anymore

Post by warmweer » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:57 pm

A quick update. (I haven't checked everything yet, that will be for this evening).

The fileset being used for the board is a mixture of 3.2.2, 3.2.5 and 3.2.7 files + some files are a version I haven't identified yet and are probably modified. Some files are 3.2.7 files which haven't been changed since 3.2.5 so I would expect them to be exactly the same, except they aren't: they have extra bytes.

Also: there are way more extensions installed than mentioned. One of them being an old version of Lightbox, and the s9e is also way past its date of expiry ;).

The good news is that the whole vendor directory is clean 3.2.7 version (probably because autoupdate didn't touch that).

This board is in a similar condition as one I started on in January, first getting it back to work on 3.2.4 and only recently managed to completely identify and clean the original files in order to identify the real modifications so as to be able to update.

It's not the first autoupdated board I've been fixing but I have a feeling it's going to be the last one because in some (many) cases autoupdate obscurifies all (on purpose) modifications by modifying files which didn't contain any modifications in the first place. I've seen autoupdated boards without the unnecessary file modifications (1 extra byte per carriage return I think) so it does do its job properly sometimes (probably something to do with the host configuration).
Anyway:
warmweer wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:46 am
Can you compare the filesize of the uploaded files to the filesize of a "clean" fileset downloaded form phpBB.com.
The answer to this would have immediately confirmed my " Damn! another autoupdate miscarriage" fear.

Time for (late) lunch but first add "autoupdate" to my list of offensive words.
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:03 pm

A new post, instead of editing (adding to) my previous post.

It turned out that some of the files present were stil 3.1 files. I have no idea how the board could even work with the mixture of phpBB files.
Anyway, things went smoothly (thanks to a 3panel directory compare I relatively quickly established that there were no real functional file modifications, only incomplete autoupdate modified files.
So basically a fresh 3.2.7 fileset + the latest versions of the Orange_BBEs style, and then the new media embed extension.
There was 1 problem with the old s9e mediaextension - after (correctly) disabling it, there was an option to remove the data, but no option to remove the files.
I removed the files by hand, emptied cache and couldn't log in anymore.

This was all on localhost so luckily I had PHPMyAdmin access, deleted the line in the ext_table, still couldn't log in - then put the old s9e files back which then allowed me to log in, enable the new media extension and then disabled the old s9e. still no remove files option.Checked phpMyAdmin and the old s9e line in the ext_table was back there, so deleted that line first and then deleted the files. That seems to have worked.
I adapted the localhost config.php with the credentials needed for the online host and uploaded everything (whch gave me half an hour to do other things :lol: )
I could log in, also in the ACP, but after leaving the ACP, I was logged out. So logged in again, then logged into ACP and immediately got a white screen with an message about some authentification failure due to something language related (forgot to copy the text - but I'll put the new config.php back later and copy the message , and then show both configs here. Using the old config.php does allow me to use the board completely.

Anyway, to conclude this: the board is now fully updated to 3.2.7 + the extensions + the Orange style.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:14 pm

Another separate post as adding this to my previous post will (IMHO) reduce readability. (if a moderator disagrees, I'll go sulk in a corner ;) )

This is the config.php which allows normal login + access to the ACP

Code: Select all

<?php
error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE & ~E_STRICT & ~E_DEPRECATED & ~E_WARNING & ~E_USER_WARNING);
// phpBB 3.1.x auto-generated configuration file
// Do not change anything in this file!
$dbms = 'mysqli';
$dbhost = 'localhost';
$dbport = '';
$dbname = 'xxxxx';
$dbuser = 'yyyyyy';
$dbpasswd = 'zzzzz;
$table_prefix = 'phpbb_';
$phpbb_adm_relative_path = 'adm/';
$acm_type = 'phpbb\\cache\\driver\\file';

@define('PHPBB_INSTALLED', true);
// @define('PHPBB_DISPLAY_LOAD_TIME', true);
// @define('DEBUG', true);
This is the config.php which I adapted to 3.2 format and allows me to login to the board, but not to the ACP

<<?php
// phpBB 3.2.x auto-generated configuration file
// Do not change anything in this file!
$dbms = 'phpbb\\db\\driver\\mysqli';
$dbhost = 'localhost';
$dbport = '';
$dbname = 'xxxx';
$dbuser = 'yyyyy';
$dbpasswd = 'zzzzz';
$table_prefix = 'phpbb_';
$phpbb_adm_relative_path = 'adm/';
$acm_type = 'phpbb\\cache\\driver\\file';

@define('PHPBB_INSTALLED', true);
// @define('PHPBB_DISPLAY_LOAD_TIME', true);
@define('PHPBB_ENVIRONMENT', 'production');
@define('DEBUG_CONTAINER', true);
The error message =

Inhoudcoderingsfout
Fout tijdens het verbinden met www.libralion.com.
Neem contact op met de website-eigenaars om ze over dit probleem te informeren.
roughly translates to:

Error in content encoding
Error during connecting to www.libralion.com
Contact the website owners to inform them about this problem.
I haven't tried with adding the error reporting line to the 327 config.php yet.

Any ideas?

Added at 23:24

I was looking at the files again and suddenly saw (the 327 version)

<<?php
the << must be it : a clear case of bad copy/pasting, but it surprises me that I can even login with that.

Added at 23:36
Tested and confirmed: the 327 config.php is now functional.

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:02 am

warmweer wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:03 pm
There was 1 problem with the old s9e mediaextension - after (correctly) disabling it, there was an option to remove the data, but no option to remove the files.
I am not surprised at all. :P

https://www.phpbb.com/extensions/installing/
2. Delete extension files

Using your FTP program delete the extension's files from the filesystem. In most cases you can simply delete the extension's entire directory, which will remove all of its files from your filesystem.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:43 am

3Di wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:02 am
I am not surprised at all. :P

https://www.phpbb.com/extensions/installing/
2. Delete extension files

Using your FTP program delete the extension's files from the filesystem. In most cases you can simply delete the extension's entire directory, which will remove all of its files from your filesystem.
:oops:
Yeah, it dawned upon me at about 3 AM. I had actually made the same mistake about a year ago, proof that history repeats itself. ;)

libralion

Post by libralion » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:16 am

I think it is fantastic! Warweer did a great job.
All is working very well now. Thanks a lot!

Johanna :D

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”