Successful 2.0.14 upgrade

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
servalan

Successful 2.0.14 upgrade

Post by servalan »

Thanks for the update phpBB2 team! Nice to receive the "update available" notice in email.

Cheers,
P
mikeinjersey

Post by mikeinjersey »

did u use the changed files only zip? if so..exactly which files did u upload...if u dont mind.
servalan

Post by servalan »

mikeinjersey wrote: did u use the changed files only zip? if so..exactly which files did u upload...if u dont mind.

I have root access to the server I manage. So I used the patch file as I find it easier to upgrade using patch. I am very used to patching code - why oh why aren't mods also available as patch files? I digress...

How I upgrade... I take a cp -rp of the production Forum code directory & call it phpBB2-upgrade, patch it using the command provided in the docs. Resolve any .rej files anomalies & make sure all template subdirectories have any subSilver patches applied.

Make sure the install & contrib. sub directories are present in the phpBB2-upgrade directory. Then:
mv phpBB2 /non-web-accessible-filesys/phpBB2-2.0.13-as-installed
mv phpBB2-upgrade phpBB2
then run the upgrade script from a web browser, rm the contrib & install directories & check is all ok in the admin panel & that users are happy.

Downtime for users was about 5 minutes, which given this is a 100% volunteer driven site (including me), seems OK.

Don't ask me how you do any of this without access to a shell, I wouldn't know where to begin. I live & breathe via SSH.

I hope this helps some,
P
Bobble

Post by Bobble »

mikeinjersey wrote: did u use the changed files only zip? if so..exactly which files did u upload...if u dont mind.

I use the changed files zip using the contents of the relevant zip file (.13 to .14 for me - just choose the right one for whatever version you are running) overwriting the files that are already present. As I have a unmodded board this is not an issue for me but apparently this way of updating can kill mods so be careful if you have them. Then it was simply upping the /install directory and running the update_to_latest.php file. Delete the /install directory and you should be good to go.

EDIT: (for clarity reasons) As I upgraded quite late at night I didn't even bother to disable the board as another poster recommended so no downtime and complete for two fora in under 5 mins!
Last edited by Bobble on Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stanleyb23

succes

Post by stanleyb23 »

Thnx,

it worked!! without any troubles.

Thnx
skuipers

Post by skuipers »

Bobble wrote: I use the changed files zip using the contents of the relevant zip file (.13 to .14 for me - just choose the right one for whatever version you are running) overwriting the files that are already present. As I have a unmodded board this is not an issue for me but apparently this way of updating can kill mods so be careful if you have them.

I can advise a trick when updating from the changed files zip. Extract to the forum directory. Every file obviously already exists (well, except for the odd newly added file, but this presents no problem).

Winzip (or whatever you use on your system) will ask you whether you want to overwrite the old file, showing the date-last-modified of the file to be overwritten.

If you know the dates of the various upgrades (f.i. 2.0.13=27/02/2005 and 2.0.11=18/11/2004) you will know instantly whether a file has been changed by an upgrade or by a mod. Files from an original package can now be overwritten, and you only have to take care of the modded files.
jakejammin

Post by jakejammin »

Because of Mods to my forum, I like to use a program called "File Compare"....
So what I do is open lets say viewtopic.php.
So I open it the file compare in the new update and in my forum and it highlights the differences between the two files.....

Then it has arrows so it I want to add the difference from one file to the next all you do is click the arrow and it makes the change.

That way the installed Mods do not get messed up in anyway....

I have added a couple screen shots for you to see what I mean....

IMAGE ONE

IMAGE ONE

Then I run the update_to_latest.php for the database update.....
skuipers

Post by skuipers »

jakejammin wrote: That way the installed Mods do not get messed up in anyway....

Occasionally you will see that code is changed which has also been changed by a mod before. That's a situation to be very careful with.
neticus

Post by neticus »

Ok guys im a cautious rookie about to attempt my first upgrade. I've downloaded the files via winzip. Now the downloaded file presents a list of the different Change Files versions to pick from. Im upgrading from 2.0.13 to 2.0.14. Thats cool.

But there are also folders above the Change Files list, these:
Install , doc, contrib, cache

What are they for? i'm only planning to use the folders in the 2.0.13 to 2.0.14 file.

Am i missing something?

Thanks.
neticus

Post by neticus »

Ok just after posting this i found another thread by someone asking the same question, an answer was given here -

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=282017

Thanks.
BigRed01

Post by BigRed01 »

jakejammin wrote: Because of Mods to my forum, I like to use a program called "File Compare"....
So what I do is open lets say viewtopic.php.
So I open it the file compare in the new update and in my forum and it highlights the differences between the two files.....

Then it has arrows so it I want to add the difference from one file to the next all you do is click the arrow and it makes the change.

That way the installed Mods do not get messed up in anyway....

I have added a couple screen shots for you to see what I mean....

IMAGE ONE

IMAGE ONE

Then I run the update_to_latest.php for the database update.....

Sounds like a good program to have around. Can you post a link to their website, thanks!
commanderyoda

Post by commanderyoda »

I have the answer. That program is called "Compare It". They are now up to version 3.81 and it is an excellent program! Below is a link to C/Net.com where you can get information on it, see a screen shot and review user's feedback.

"Compare It" = http://www.download.com/Compare-It-/300 ... ag=lst-0-9

There are two other similar most excellent program for about the same price with an almost identical looking interface and features that might even be better for you. Here are the links to them (also from the C/Net.com web site):

"Beyond Comapre" = http://www.download.com/Beyond-Compare/ ... ag=lst-0-8

"ExamDiff Pro 3.2" = http://www.download.com/ExamDiff-Pro/30 ... g=lst-0-17
Wo1f

Post by Wo1f »

Made the upgrade from 2.0.13 to 2.0.14 in approximately 15 minutes on a heavely modded board. I used the "code changes" upgrade package (just like setting up a mod), which is not to be confused with the "changed files" or the "patch files" package. For those interested, you can get it here:
A big thank you to Acyd Burn and the PHPBB2 team for being on top of their game and ours!
neticus

Post by neticus »

Ok Wo1f man or anybody else who wishes to reply to this. Am i right in thinking i can use Acyd Burns '[2.0.13] phpBB 2.0.13 to 2.0.14 Code Changes' to upgrade from 2.0.13 to 14 as a definate alternative to using the phpbb upgrade uploads? And this will work with modded and unmodded boards?

If so I am ready to jump with joy :)
skuipers

Post by skuipers »

On unmodded boards I would definitely use the upgrade uploads from phpBB itself. Takes just a couple of minutes.

On modded boards one could use the patch method (command line access to the server required) or the Acyd Burn mod.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”