my message board quit working

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: my message board quit working

Post by stevemaury » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:20 pm

OK, I see you have uploaded the phpBB 3.2.7 files to the /bb folder. You have also deleted your config.php file. Put it back and then MAYBE we can get it updated. Too late to get it working as it was, because you overwrote its files.

I do not wish to be harsh, but if you go off and do something other than putting your old config.php back (from the backup you made) and responding when it is in place, I will bow out of this topic.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

pat538

Post by pat538 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:54 pm

Steve,
thank you for your support. I just get so confused and frustated.
I will try what you said.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:06 pm

OK, now you need to browse to https://sybilsden.com/bb/install, click the Update tab, database only and follow the directions.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

pat538

Post by pat538 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:21 pm

I had the correct database. it is sybil3

I am so frustrated, I just want my board to work again.
I might delete the whole thing. then try to update my test board (which I should have done first)
then put the correct DB in it. would that work?

I want my posts to come back.

can someone please do this for me, I can't take it anymore.

pat538

Post by pat538 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:01 pm

now it says my install folder had not been deleted. I know I deleted it.
don't matter, it still don't work.

what if I create another board, then insert my database? or
update my test board, then insert my data into it?

this is the first time I have had this nightmare problem with php.

invenio

Post by invenio » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:31 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:06 pm
OK, now you need to browse to https://sybilsden.com/bb/install, click the Update tab, database only and follow the directions.
So when you followed these directions, did the database update? It should have given you a progress bar and indicated that the database was updated successfully.

As others have recommended, I would follow the directions you are given here by more knowledgable people. Nobody has told you to do anything with your test board so I am not sure why you keep referring to it constantly? These guys in here with +50,000 posts know more about phpBB than you and I put together and multiplied by 100. If you want this fixed I would strongly recommend you follow their advice and directions and not deviate from their instructions. Just some friendly words of advice from somebody who is also a novice and has been helped in the past on here.

pat538

Post by pat538 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:43 am

invenio wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:31 pm
stevemaury wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:06 pm
So when you followed these directions, did the database update? It should have given you a progress bar and indicated that the database was updated successfully.

As others have recommended, I would follow the directions you are given here by more knowledgable people. Nobody has told you to do anything with your test board so I am not sure why you keep referring to it constantly? These guys in here with +50,000 posts know more about phpBB than you and I put together and multiplied by 100. If you want this fixed I would strongly recommend you follow their advice and directions and not deviate from their instructions. Just some friendly words of advice from somebody who is also a novice and has been helped in the past on here.
OK, I will try the link you gave me, and see what happens..

I tried to follow everyone's directions. the thing is, I got more than one response (which I am very grateful for). I just get so darn boggled. I am just loaded down with other work also.

I know no one told me to work with my test board, that was only a question. I feel like I am hitting a dead end.
I will try again tomorrow. I am tired and burned out, not a good time to be fooling with this.

I just want to get it done and over with. I really wish someone would do it for me or get it started, I will pay whoever does it.
Maybe I will feel better tomorrow. I need a lot of R&R,(I don't have a normal life :lol: )

Again to you and everyone that tried to help, I sincerely do appreciate it, and sorry for sounding stupid. I just have so much going on in my life.

I do have a question though. If I was to do a clean install, can I just transfer my data to that? however, I can't remember if the posts reside on the database. I don't think it does?

I will try your suggestion.

A BIG THANK TO YOU AND ALL THE MEMBERS THAT TRIED TO HELP ME. If I was rich and famous, OK, not famous, rich would work, I would pay everyone that tried to help me.

invenio

Post by invenio » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:35 am

The text of the posts are stored in the database (along with much other information). There are other files that may have been attachments to those posts that are stored in the /files folder.

If you are asking what files/folders are unique to your board, I believe it would be:

1) The database
2) /Files
3) /Images
4) /Store
5) config.php

The rest are standard files that you can download in the Full Package install.

In other words, when you back up your board, you should have copies of those 5 items/folders. More experienced users can correct me if I am wrong.

pat538

Post by pat538 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:24 am

thank you for your response. I will look at the files you posted. right now is not a good time for me try and do anything with it.
I will try tomorrow morning.

Thank you again. I will let you know how it works out.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:17 am

Before continuing, could you clarify some things for me, please?

https://sybilsden.com/bb was a 3.0.12 board which didn't load originally but now does (with a message that it's unavailable, and no /install directory present). Is this the board you want to update? (the 3.2.7 files are present now)

https://sybilsden.com/bbt was a 3.1.10 board which was working, then yesterday stopped working but now seems to be online again (still in 3.1.10 version), but also with a message that it's unavailable.

Those boards use different databases (which would be reflected in the config.php). Both boards do have prosilver present.

What is the difference between those 2 boards (e.g. the 3.1.10 could be an upgraded 3.0.12, in which case I don't see the point in trying to upgrade the 3.0.12, especially if you have been using the 3.1.10 board which would thus contain more recent data than the 3.0.12).

From what I see, your 3.1.10 (in /bbt) should be upgradeable easily. The only thing which would have to be done before starting the upgrade is setting prosilver as default style (and as your user_style) and disabling your extensions (and checking which ones need to be updated).

This post (the one you are reading) should not confuse you any further. I'm not saying you have to do anything else than that which was advised earlier. It just that I want to ascertain that we trying to get the correct board up and running (because it still hasn't been established how and why there are 2 boards with different versions).
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

pat538

Post by pat538 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:22 pm

Before continuing, could you clarify some things for me, please?
Yes, I will do the best I can. I appreciate your reply and seems broken down to where it will be easier to explain my issue.
https://sybilsden.com/bb was a 3.0.12 board which didn't load originally but now does (with a message that it's unavailable, and no /install directory present). Is this the board you want to update? (the 3.2.7 files are present now)
correct. the reason I updated is that the bb quit working. I thought it was due to an update needed. So I updated the bb. it keeps showing the install folder needs to be deleted. I did delete it. I will have to check to make sure again. I did check a couple of times yesterday. I could have very easily overlooked something.

https://sybilsden.com/bbt was a 3.1.10 board which was working, then yesterday stopped working but now seems to be online again (still in 3.1.10 version), but also with a message that it's unavailable.
that is a test board. which I just checked, and that one seems to work.
I can't remember what theme I had on it. I did try to change the theme to prosilver, but, the control panel was not accepting my PW. that could be due to me not putting the correct one in. I have papers everywhere, I stupidly wrote the PW down, I have to look for the correct PW to get into the control panel. This bbt still has the old php on it. That is what is confusing me. why one works and one don't.
Those boards use different databases (which would be reflected in the config.php). Both boards do have prosilver present.
correct, both have different databases. I think I used the same theme on the test board.
What is the difference between those 2 boards (e.g. the 3.1.10 could be an upgraded 3.0.12, in which case I don't see the point in trying to upgrade the 3.0.12, especially if you have been using the 3.1.10 board which would thus contain more recent data than the 3.0.12).
I only upgraded it because one of the members suggested upgrading it. I do have a backup copy which might downgrade it to the old version.

From what I see, your 3.1.10 (in /bbt) should be upgradeable easily. The only thing which would have to be done before starting the upgrade is setting prosilver as default style (and as your user_style) and disabling your extensions (and checking which ones need to be updated).
OK, I will give it a try. I just have to get in the control panel on the test board. I have to find my PW.
Now I am wondering if (sounds like it) that I should have disabled my extensions before I tried the update.
This is hard for me because I don't work with PHP all the time.

This post (the one you are reading) should not confuse you any further. I'm not saying you have to do anything else than that which was advised earlier. It just that I want to ascertain that we trying to get the correct board up and running (because it still hasn't been established how and why there are 2 boards with different versions).
no, you did not confuse me. You broke it down very nicely. I appreciate your time in doing so. as for the two different versions on the boards, is because I did the update on bb. I should have done the bbt first. (lesson learned the hard way) Again a BIG Thank you for your time and patience with me.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:13 pm

pat538 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:22 pm
the bbt that is a test board. which I just checked, and that one seems to work.
I can't remember what theme I had on it. I did try to change the theme to prosilver, but, the control panel was not accepting my PW. that could be due to me not putting the correct one in. I have papers everywhere, I stupidly wrote the PW down, I have to look for the correct PW to get into the control panel. This bbt still has the old php on it. That is what is confusing me. why one works and one don't.
OK, so there's no need to update the bbt since it's just a testboard and doesn't contain all the data.
BTW, please make a distinction between php and phpBB. Someone who reads your sentence may think your 2 boards (phpBB) are running on 2 different php versions.
pat538 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:22 pm
correct, both have different databases. I think I used the same theme on the test board.
OK, so it's clear your 3.0.12 (the bb) has to be updated and we don't have to do anything with the 3.1.10 (the bbt).

Since you were using 3.0.12, that database is the one you need (and should keep a seperate backup of it).
Since it was 3.0.12, there's no need to worry about extensions as those didn't exist yet (only as of 3.1.0). However, there may have been modifications. As long as the modifications were limited to file modifications, there's no problem, BUT if the database was modified in any way, the 3.0.12 tables should be restored to their original structure (and in some cases data also) before updating. If you still have the fileset you were using in 3.0.12 and modifications were installed using Automod, then you probably still have the original modification install files which can be used in determining whether there were database modifications or not.
The STK (Support Toolkit) can probably also determine and correct that but as far as I know the only one available is for 3.0.14.

SO: my suggestion = put your 3.0.12 fileset back. Import the database backup of your 3.0.12 (before any attempt at upgrading), empty the database first.
If your board is as it was, remove any styles other than prosilver (through the ACP). Update to 3.0.14 first and then run the STK.
Report back and tell us the size of your (optimised) database.
Depending on the results we can give further advice.

If you're interested I could have a look at your database (at your own risk) to determine whether (and how much) "cleaning" it needs. For that I would need a copy of your database (and preferably your complete fileset), and perhaps I can update it locally and send you back the database. This offer (no money involved) is only valid 'till tomorrow afternoon because I'm leaving on holiday in a week and don't have much spare time left.

BTW: your php version = 5.6.40 so that's OK for 3.0.12 all the way up to 3.2.7
BUT you cookie domain is still wrong (lacking the leading dot).

edited later: forgot to mention that for the database I would need an admin account (with founder status) and password (I could make one myself in the database but it would be easier if it were provided)

edited on 16/09 around 19:30 (offer no longer standing).
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”