Create child not from Prosilver

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.2.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Re: Create child not from Prosilver

Post by 3Di »

The print.css btw, should be reviewed... that's another story. ;)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
DTMWC

Post by DTMWC »

I orignally preffered my styles not to use inheritance, so that if any changes were made in phpBB updates I could keep abreast with them when updating the styles, the downpoint was for most extensions a seperate style folder would need to added to the extension to make it work... this is fine for extensions that need styling to suit the style, but time consuming for the majority of extensions that don't need to be styled.

Now I prefer template inheritance, when I update a style I don't have to search through the templates to find the ones I've modified as the only ones in the folder are modified, it's much easier and saves forum admins having to create extra folders in their extensions.

CSS inheritance I'm not too keen on but have started playing with it and will probably use it, it seems harder to create a child style of a child style but my interpretation of the style guide was that a child of a child should use the same inheritance method.

I should add, big thumbs up goes to whoever had the idea of removing the option to uninstall Prosilver, It's a small change that people don't notice but a change that will save a lot of people's time. :)
Boom.
Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer »

Mannix_ wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:17 am One more thing the print.css is missing from the ahoi_xmas style :)
Strangely with me in the Styleforum everything works also that.
Therefore the print.css does not have to be inserted into the style. It is also not included in my validated styles.
print.jpg
tester1 / password same as in Quickinstall
More of my styles you can find in my phpBB Style Board & More
Be the best version of yourself rather than a bad copy of someone else!
Excuse me for my English, but I learned the language by speaking to people and not at school.
🎨 All my styles are updated to 3.3.8 and can be downloaded here
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

print view is suppose to look like this
2019-10-20 18.35.17 www.phpbb.com 124184f8d5be.png
Did I helped You? Consider a donation.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

Looks the same in all my styles as in the picture above - also in the validated styles and also if I want to print from prosilver :-D.
This is a forum with only style posts from me.
Here's a print from the code demo topic (style Ahoi_Xmas)
druckansicht.jpg
Only the block quota is not displayed correctly in the Ahoi_Xmas style. As in all other validated real child styles from me (e.g Graphit).
Might be missing code in overall_header and simple_header.
blockquote print graphit.jpg
But only one more line has to be inserted in overall_header and simple_header, is my opinion.
<link href="{ROOT_PATH}styles/prosilver/theme/print.css?assets_version={T_ASSETS_VERSION}" rel="stylesheet">

Edit: It definitely doesn't work that way (font in the whole forum becomes huge). So you only have to insert the print.css in the theme folder in real child style. Let's see what happens then.
print code in header.jpg
True definitely, print.css must be in the theme folder. But not only in this print was missing. :oops: Thank you for the hint!
Last edited by Tastenplayer on Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Excuse me for my English, but I learned the language by speaking to people and not at school.
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

the visited links threw me off sorry for the confusion.
Did I helped You? Consider a donation.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

Mannix_ wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:31 pm the visited links threw me off sorry for the confusion.
You were definitely right! The print.css must be in the theme folder. Otherwise, for example, the block quota will not be displayed correctly.
Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

Dan Stylez wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:15 pmNow I prefer template inheritance, when I update a style I don't have to search through the templates to find the ones I've modified as the only ones in the folder are modified, it's much easier and saves forum admins having to create extra folders in their extensions.
I can see the sense of inheriting templates if you aren't going to edit them anyway. In fact I can't see any advantage in not inheriting those ones. Might as well do it the easy way.

I'm still getting my head around how phpBB handles all the details that can go with extensions. When you say inheritance saves extra folders for extensions, does this only apply for cases where you haven't edited the template in question?

CSS inheritance I'm not too keen on but have started playing with it and will probably use it, it seems harder to create a child style of a child style but my interpretation of the style guide was that a child of a child should use the same inheritance method.
The only one I've looked at so far has been Aero. Originally that had Aero (blue variant) as a child of Prosilver, then the other colour variants as children of Aero. No CSS inheritance for any of them. No template inheritance for the parent Aero (blue) but full template inheritance for the child variants of it. So it seems a mix and match approach is fine, AFAICT (although I haven't done a thorough check to figure out what is optimal).

I should add, big thumbs up goes to whoever had the idea of removing the option to uninstall Prosilver, It's a small change that people don't notice but a change that will save a lot of people's time. :)
IMO it's always a good idea to have an unedited default style as a fallback. Can save your bacon if something is borked with a custom one.

Which reminds me: is it possible to select Prosilver via a url if the site default is set to something else? As an example, something like:

Code: Select all

https://yoursite.com/index.php?style_id=1
🇺🇦 Слава Україні! 🇺🇦 Героям слава! 🇺🇦
DTMWC

Post by DTMWC »

Gumboots wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:01 pm I'm still getting my head around how phpBB handles all the details that can go with extensions. When you say inheritance saves extra folders for extensions, does this only apply for cases where you haven't edited the template in question?
If the style doesn't use template inheritance, if you install an extension - for example... rmcgirr83's 24 hour activity stats extension, if the extensions style folder doesn't have an "all" and just has "prosilver" folder, the extension most likely won't show up in the style,

So you copy the extensions prosilver folder and rename it to the custom style - then the extension will show up,

If you run a forum and know about that - it's easy and not a problem, but for anyone who doesn't know about it - they could end up wasting a shed load of time trying to get it work or think the style is faulty.

Gumboots wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:01 pm Which reminds me: is it possible to select Prosilver via a url if the site default is set to something else? As an example, something like:

Code: Select all

https://yoursite.com/index.php?style_id=1
I don't think it is, it doesn't work here on the phpbb support forum.
Boom.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Gumboots wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:01 pm IMO it's always a good idea to have an unedited default style as a fallback. Can save your bacon if something is borked with a custom one.

Which reminds me: is it possible to select Prosilver via a url if the site default is set to something else? As an example, something like:
There is; using "style=x" in the URL, where X is the numeric style ID. Note if "override_user_style" is enabled, this URL parameter will be ignored unless you are an admin (or at least have style administration permission). The code that does this is in /phpbb/user.php where $style_request is populated.
Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

Cool. Thanks for the tip. I thought they would have that as an option. It'll always be =1 for Prosilver.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Gumboots wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:48 pm Cool. Thanks for the tip. I thought they would have that as an option. It'll always be =1 for Prosilver.
On a new installation, yes. As a "can assume prosilver is always ID 1", no. I've seen boards being updated from phpBB 3.0.x where prosilver wasn't ID 1, for whatever reason existed in that board's history.

And we can also logically deduce that "if the option to prevent uninstalling prosilver" wasn't introduced until phpBB 3.2.8, that's an expected reason for prosilver to potentially no longer be ID 1, even if the site operator realized they needed to re-install prosilver after intentionally or mistakenly removing it.

There was an issue encountered recently where the assumption "prosilver is always ID 1" appears to have come into play, for what it's worth.
Last edited by EA117 on Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

it might not be "1" for prosilver if it was uninstalled and then reinstalled .

there is also a very simple style demo extension that you can install to be able to switch between styles that are installed.
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ick_style/

if you want to keep it private to only admin, you can edit the html file in the ext. and surround the code for the drop down with
<!-- IF U_ACP --> drop down code <!-- ENDIF -->

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

And we can also logically deduce that "if the option to prevent uninstalling prosilver" wasn't introduced until phpBB 3.2.8, that's an expected reason for prosilver to potentially no longer be ID 1, even if the site operator realized they needed to re-install prosilver after intentionally or mistakenly removing it.
I didn't realise the change was that recent. It's a very good idea. But ok, I can see that old boards might have messed with it. Hadn't happened on the forum I inherited. That has been around for yonks and still has Prosilver as style_id = 1.
if you want to keep it private to only admin, you can edit the html file in the ext. and surround the code for the drop down with
<!-- IF U_ACP --> drop down code <!-- ENDIF -->
Good tip. Could be handy for testing. Although there could also be fun in letting anyone select your current test mutant and watching them all freak out. Could even set up a specially borked one just for the entertainment.

(I already have that extension installed, and it's a good one. Some styles need a bit of tweaking to play well with the default select location, but nothing major.)

Return to “[3.2.x] Styles Support & Discussion”