spoiler for mods only?

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
Post Reply
xmrdo
Registered User
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:10 pm

spoiler for mods only?

Post by xmrdo » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:05 am

Hi,

is there any extension (3.2.x) that supports spoiler that can be opened by OP and mods or to a specific user group only? I could not find anything so far. thanks in advance.

User avatar
warmweer
Registered User
Posts: 3208
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:34 am
Location: Van Allen Belt ... well actually Belgium

Re: spoiler for mods only?

Post by warmweer » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:08 pm

Take a look at Advanced BBCode Box.
You can define the groups being allowed to use certain BBcodes.

edited: corrected malformed liink
Last edited by warmweer on Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

xmrdo
Registered User
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:10 pm

Re: spoiler for mods only?

Post by xmrdo » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:38 pm

Thanks! I found that but it is "usage" permissions.
what I am looking is: a user's BBcode spoiler that only can be revealed to eg. mods.

User avatar
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 21724
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:49 am
Location: Cardiff

Re: spoiler for mods only?

Post by Mick » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:30 pm

If you’re looking for an extension you need to look or post in the extensions forums. Have a search of the extensions forums and, if you don’t see anything suitable, make an extension request.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

xmrdo
Registered User
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:10 pm

Re: spoiler for mods only?

Post by xmrdo » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:33 pm

thanks!

User avatar
warmweer
Registered User
Posts: 3208
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:34 am
Location: Van Allen Belt ... well actually Belgium

Re: spoiler for mods only?

Post by warmweer » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:11 pm

xmrdo wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:38 pm
Thanks! I found that but it is "usage" permissions.
what I am looking is: a user's BBcode spoiler that only can be revealed to eg. mods.
Oops, apparently I wasn't alert when reading your question. :oops:
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

User avatar
John connor
Registered User
Posts: 2332
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:14 pm
Location: U S Of A
Name: Aaron
Contact:

Re: spoiler for mods only?

Post by John connor » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:23 pm

Perhaps create another subforum for mods only.

User avatar
EA117
Registered User
Posts: 1170
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:23 am
Contact:

Re: spoiler for mods only?

Post by EA117 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:26 pm

John connor wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:23 pm
Perhaps create another subforum for mods only.
I'm assuming that is the crux of the issue being addressed. The "protected spoiler" tag would be used by users who are not moderators or members of the special group, in order to designate specific sensitive information that can only be read by someone who is in that special group.

Creating an entirely separate forum may still be an alternative, so long as the "all normal users are allowed to post, but those normal users cannot read what has been posted"-type of permissions could be established on the forum. Which also sounds non-standard, and might also require an extension.

One extension I'm aware of which does sound close to this alternative is the "Contact Admin" extension. Messages sent through "Contact Admin" can be configured to be posted as messages in an arbitrary forum, and normal users need not have access to the arbitrary forum. You then grant access to that forum "normally" to only the moderators and admins who are supposed to be allowed to view the posts.

But we haven't seen a detailed story of the intention, so maybe there are more factors as to why specifically a "allow normal users to tag this information in the middle of their otherwise normal messages" really is the requirement. Which indeed would require an extension, if the tag-enclosed information is to be literally withheld from the HTML rendering when a non-permissioned user is viewing or quoting the post.

xmrdo
Registered User
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:10 pm

Re: spoiler for mods only?

Post by xmrdo » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:06 am

Many thanks for the replies, I am looking for a "separate forum" option now, not all of the posts need the "mod's only" spoiler. so a separate forum option will work.
thanks again!

User avatar
warmweer
Registered User
Posts: 3208
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:34 am
Location: Van Allen Belt ... well actually Belgium

Re: spoiler for mods only?

Post by warmweer » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:14 pm

xmrdo wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:06 am
Many thanks for the replies, I am looking for a "separate forum" option now, not all of the posts need the "mod's only" spoiler. so a separate forum option will work.
Not exactly the spoiler permission you're looking for, but since you're considering the seperate forum option, the viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2283001&hilit=read+others+topics may be somewhat s\akward but functional.

Instead of a spoiler, the user could start a topic in a designated forum, and only moderators + the topic started could read the topic. IN a post made there, the author would have include a reference to the originating topic (or the other way, in the originating topic, post a link to the "spoiler" post (in the special forum).
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

xmrdo
Registered User
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:10 pm

Re: spoiler for mods only?

Post by xmrdo » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:43 pm

oh thanks! that extension looks interesting.

User avatar
John connor
Registered User
Posts: 2332
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:14 pm
Location: U S Of A
Name: Aaron
Contact:

Re: spoiler for mods only?

Post by John connor » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:55 am

warmweer wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:14 pm
xmrdo wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:06 am
Many thanks for the replies, I am looking for a "separate forum" option now, not all of the posts need the "mod's only" spoiler. so a separate forum option will work.
Not exactly the spoiler permission you're looking for, but since you're considering the seperate forum option, the viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2283001&hilit=read+others+topics may be somewhat s\akward but functional.

Instead of a spoiler, the user could start a topic in a designated forum, and only moderators + the topic started could read the topic. IN a post made there, the author would have include a reference to the originating topic (or the other way, in the originating topic, post a link to the "spoiler" post (in the special forum).
I was just going to mention that very extension. I use it myself.

Post Reply

Return to “Extension Requests”