[2.0.20] phpBB Jabber Support

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
71%
Very Good
14%
Good
No votes
Fair
14%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 7

Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot

[2.0.20] phpBB Jabber Support

Post by Extensions Robot »

MOD Name: phpBB Jabber Support
Author: ptlis
MOD Description: Adds support for the Jabber IM network so that users can enter their Jabber information to their profile and it is viewable by other members at the bottom of posts & by viewing their profile as with other IM networks

MOD Version: 1.1.0 (Updated 04/16/06)

Download File: phpbbjabbermod-1.1.0.zip
mods overview page: View
File Size: 6112 Bytes

Security Score: 0

Support for this MOD needs to be asked within this topic. The phpBB Teams are not responsible or required to give anyone support for this MOD. By installing this MOD, the phpBB Support Team or phpBB MODifications Team may not be able to provide support.

This MOD has only been tested by the phpBB MOD Team with the phpBB version in the topic title. It may not work in any other versions of phpBB.
Last edited by Extensions Robot on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
(this is a non-active account manager for the phpBB Extension Customisations Team)
TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost »

MOD Validated/Released

Notes:
Adds a field for the Jabber IM client to the profile.
AbelaJohnB
Former Team Member

Post by AbelaJohnB »

Seems to work like it should.

My three suggestions:
  1. Stop using the ENTIRE LINE for your "FIND" statements... you only need a small fraction of the line, not the entire line, when doing a FIND-INLINE. Some of us have other MOD's installed and when MOD Authors do a FIND on the entire line, it means we end-users have to go into your MOD and fix this. Not fun.
  2. VARCHAR( 255 ) -- Hmm, last I recall Jabber doesn't allow 255 character usernames. Reduce this some and save us a small about of db bloating.
  3. Include the xmpp integration within a /contrib/ directory so we don't have to hunt it down from your website.

Beyond that, works well. I know of a few people who will be grateful to see this MOD in action!
ptlis

Post by ptlis »

AbelaJohnB wrote: Stop using the ENTIRE LINE for your "FIND" statements... you only need a small fraction of the line, not the entire line, when doing a FIND-INLINE. Some of us have other MOD's installed and when MOD Authors do a FIND on the entire line, it means we end-users have to go into your MOD and fix this. Not fun.

Yes, the MOD actually didn't pass validation the first time I submitted it because of that, when I release the next revision i'll take another look at the FIND statements and attempt to refine them down to the bare minimum find size (I only slimmed down the FINDs the MOD validator specifically stated were too long).
AbelaJohnB wrote: VARCHAR( 255 ) -- Hmm, last I recall Jabber doesn't allow 255 character usernames. Reduce this some and save us a small about of db bloating.

Actually, limiting it to VARCHAR(255) is actually a rather conservative limit as the Jabber protocol has a limit of 1023 characters, and I can't find any information (generally or in the RFCs/JEPs) as whether that's including the @domain.tld or not (in which case it would be an extra 64 characters if one includes the '@' symbol. In future revisions i'll be sure to mention this in the notes section of the mod.
AbelaJohnB wrote: Include the xmpp integration within a /contrib/ directory so we don't have to hunt it down from your website.

Ah, once again in future revisions I will do such, but in this instance the 'metamodificaion' to allow people to use the xmpp:// URI was made a week or two after i'd resubmitted the modification for validation.
AbelaJohnB wrote: Beyond that, works well. I know of a few people who will be grateful to see this MOD in action!

Excellent!
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.....my life is my own.
AbelaJohnB
Former Team Member

Post by AbelaJohnB »

ptlis wrote:
AbelaJohnB wrote: VARCHAR( 255 ) -- Hmm, last I recall Jabber doesn't allow 255 character usernames. Reduce this some and save us a small about of db bloating.

Actually, limiting it to VARCHAR(255) is actually a rather conservative limit as the Jabber protocol has a limit of 1023 characters

Wow, I stand corrected. :oops:
ptlis wrote:
AbelaJohnB wrote:Include the xmpp integration within a /contrib/ directory so we don't have to hunt it down from your website.

Ah, once again in future revisions I will do such, but in this instance the 'metamodificaion' to allow people to use the xmpp:// URI was made a week or two after i'd resubmitted the modification for validation.

Ah! I had that happen a few times too. It sucks.

Again, nice job!
Saoshyant

Post by Saoshyant »

Nice job for all smart Jabber users out there such as me ^.^
Waiting for next version.
MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

Could you possibly include some PHP Jabber classes, to basically be able to chat through phpBB (something like what Olympus has/had)? There are a couple of them at SF.net.
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."
Saoshyant

Post by Saoshyant »

MennoniteHobbit wrote: Could you possibly include some PHP Jabber classes, to basically be able to chat through phpBB (something like what Olympus has/had)? There are a couple of them at SF.net.

Wow, that would be nice indeed. I doubt it though.
ptlis

Post by ptlis »

Actually, I am looking at either grabbing the phpBB 3 source from cvs and backporting the Jabber class to phpBB 2.0.x or looking at this GPL'd Jabber class with the aim of being able to inform users if people are online. If I do do this it should be (relatively) trivial to add such functionality. If I did do that however i'd probably release it as a seperate MOD such that people who want their users to be able to post their jabber details but don't want the overhead the rest would require can still use this.
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.....my life is my own.
MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

ptlis wrote: Actually, I am looking at either grabbing the phpBB 3 source from cvs and backporting the Jabber class to phpBB 2.0.x or looking at this GPL'd Jabber class with the aim of being able to inform users if people are online. If I do do this it should be (relatively) trivial to add such functionality. If I did do that however i'd probably release it as a seperate MOD such that people who want their users to be able to post their jabber details but don't want the overhead the rest would require can still use this.

That Jabber class looks better than the other ones I found.

I'm looking forward to it if you're going to release a separate MOD. :)
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."
ptlis

Post by ptlis »

Just a quick note to say that the current version of this modification is now 1.0.2 - the XMPP mini-mod can now be found in the /contrib/ directory and the finds have been made as small as I can make them while still ensuring that the right section of code is found. It has also been tested with every phpBB version from 2.0.10 through to the current version (2.0.17). Further Jabber integration is still in the works but my current workload is such that it's on the backburner for another few months.

Versions 1.0.2 can be downloaded from my phpBB Jabber page - i'll probably not bother submitting it for validation due to the amount of time that takes for a MOD to be validated and because the changes i've made are minor.
ptlis

Post by ptlis »

Note: GTalk MOD now released so this is redundant

Another small note - this MOD can be used with just a change to the lang_main file and a new image to work with Google Talk (which uses the Jabber protocol). First replace the image icon_jabber.gif with an appropriate google talk image (one is in the works) then follow this tiny meta-MOD:

Code: Select all

#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------------
#
language/lang_english/lang_main.php
#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------------
#
$lang['JABBER'] = 'Jabber';
#
#-----[ REPLACE WITH  ]----------------------------------------
#
$lang['JABBER'] = 'Google Talk';
#
#-----[ SAVE/CLOSE ALL FILES ]--------------------------------
#
# EoM
When I have a little more time i'll release a fully compatible Google Talk MOD based off the same codebase to allow users to supply regular Jabber details as well as Google Talk details in their profile.

ptlis
Last edited by ptlis on Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stordoff

Post by stordoff »

Quick Way:

In notepad, use the replace tool to replace all JABBER with GTALK

ie, Edit > Replace > Find What = Jabber > Replace With = GTALK > Repalce All
ptlis

Post by ptlis »

stordoff wrote: Quick Way:

In notepad, use the replace tool to replace all JABBER with GTALK

ie, Edit > Replace > Find What = Jabber > Replace With = GTALK > Repalce All

Ah, you've misunderstood me - the time consuming part wasn't converting the code itself over, it was making an appropriate SubSilver image for gtalk using my very limited image manipulation skills.

The phpBB GTalk MOD now exists, you can find it's support thread here.

ptlis
ycl6

Post by ycl6 »

MOD Updated to version 1.0.4
See first post for Download Link

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”