Trying to Update 3.0.12 to 3.2; Board Inaccessible

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Trying to Update 3.0.12 to 3.2; Board Inaccessible

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

the database cleaner in the STK is supposed to remove all the non standard database entries when you run it.

everything that shows up in red can usually be removed.

once you have done that, if you try to access the board it will naturally throw errors because the old files are still there and are trying to call the database entries that you just removed.

the best way to proceed is to run the database cleaner. then do NOT try to access the board at all.

using your ftp, delete all of the 3.0 files and folders except for the ones mentioned in the upgrade instructions. if the instructions tell you to leave the folder named store, ignore it and delete that folder as well.
then, upload all new phpbb 3.2 files and folders except for the config.php file.

then go to yourboard/install
click on the update tab
click on the update button
click on the submit button for update database only.
wait for it to finish.

you are done.

remember to be sure you have a backup of the original 3.0 database before you start.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

Vard

Post by Vard »

Here's what's listed. I hit continue, I assume this all gets nuked, then it gives me an other page of stuff. Now, I've unmarked the items and hit continue and I've revealed what appears to be a third page, and even more items that I don't understand. Right now I'm at a page called "Reset Modules". :? "Would you like to reset the modules to the default phpBB3 modules? All existing modules will be removed and be replaced with the default ones."

Well, if I hit continue and keep the items checked, thus "removing" them, the board including STK no longer becomes navigable after the second page. Once again, there are no items striked in red. All items are labeled as TYPE: EXTRA. Whatever that means.

How can I remove everything if board will no longer load the next set of options once the second page's options are being deleted? Pic of the second page:

Nothing has been removed yet, and yes I have a DB backup. Im just showing you what I see and telling you what happens when I remove all of the page items in order up to the second page with the DB cleaner.

EDIT: I'm just going to experiment since nothing is clear. I'll try running DB cleaner and keeping track of what items are being removed, then seeing if I can remove the files/folders in /store or whatever that correspond to the items in the cleaner tables that got yanked and the errors that will follow. If it doesn't work, I'll reload everything. Such a mess.

Vard

Post by Vard »

Ran DB cleaner from the first page, removed all items, got this immediately after:

Thought it might be connected to calendar.php/clendarpost.php

Moved those files. Error hasn't gone away. Reuploading the DB and putting the files back in. Back to square one. :roll:

EDIT: Let me try switching to prosilver before removing. I searched the directory and found another set of files of a similar name that are associated with 'subsilver2'.

EDIT: Hit continue on DB cleaner items page 2. Was asked to agree to new terms of service. Hit yes. Get this:

Last edited by Vard on Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lumpy Burgertushie

when you have finished running the database cleaner do NOT try to access your board at all.
just go to the ftp and remove all the files except for the folders named "files" and "images" and the file named config.php.
then upload all new files for 3.2.8 except for the blank config.php file.

then go to your board to the install folder and click on update tab, then click on update button then click on submit button for update database only.
let that run until you get a green success page.

then, go back and delete the folder named "install" and you are done.

robert

Vard

Post by Vard »

So regardless of whether or not I turn up with an error I should just assume everything is clear and go ahead with the update as laid out in the tutorial?

I just closed out at the ToS prompt and now I'm following update instructions, moving store out like you mentioned.
Last edited by Mick on Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary full quoting.

Lumpy Burgertushie

the point is that once you remove those database entries you will get errors if you try to access the board.

all the MOD files are still there so they are trying to access database tables that you just removed.

that is why you don't need to access the board at that stage in the upgrade.
the next step after removing the database stuff is to replace those old files with the new ones and then do the database update from 3.0 to 3.2 from the install folder of the new set of files.
then when it is done, you remove that folder named install because the board will not work as long as it is there.

then you can access your newly upgraded phpbb board.
if you get errors then, we can help you figure out how to fix them.

robert

Vard

Post by Vard »

Got this. Reloading my files and doing the update replacement again.

Vard

Post by Vard »

EDIT: Nvm. Needed to re-edit the config file. Running the update now.

Lumpy Burgertushie

why are you editing the config.php file?

robert

Vard

Post by Vard »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:45 am
why are you editing the config.php file?

robert
When I moved my files back in because I guess I copied something over incorrectly, my config was pointing to my old dbhost info instead of the localhost I have this board setup on now.

Sorry for the mistakes, but when you've been staring at these files for the last several days, all the shit just starts blending in and it's easy to mess up lmao.

But alas, it's never over. Now I've got this:

I'm using usbwebserver btw. How do I "modify my timeout settings", and do I need to redo everything again?

EDIT: I can see I have a php.ini file over here in usbwebserver/settings, but what parameters do I edit? https://pastebin.com/FJz73jcG

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Vard wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:46 am
I'm using usbwebserver btw. How do I "modify my timeout settings", and do I need to redo everything again?
probably php.ini >>> search for max_execution_time, and "timeout" (there are a couple of instances IIRC)
(sorry, no access to usbwebserver at this time).

IIRC there a cfg ['ExecTimeLimit'] somewhere which I changed also (relying on memory that would be in a config.default,php for phpMyAdmin)

Not sure what you mean with doing everything again. The point is that the STK will try to reset the database to the state it should be. Either then you try the update, or test it with version you "cleaned" (this means clean files, not the files edited with modifications).
We should embrace problems, without which there wouldn't be any solutions.

Vard

Post by Vard »

Be specific please.

"probably php.ini >>> search for max_execution_time, and "timeout" (there are a couple of instances IIRC)
(sorry, no access to usbwebserver at this time)."

Specifically and definitely which items with what parameters? I don't want to guess because that's how things get messed up.

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Vard wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:52 pm
Be specific please.
warmweer wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:38 am
probably php.ini >>> search for max_execution_time, and "timeout" (there are a couple of instances IIRC)
(sorry, no access to usbwebserver at this time).
If I had access to my (one of my) usbwebserver installation I would have given the exact file and lines; but I don't and won't until Sunday evening (and I'm not going to download usbwebserver just to look for those things).

And BTW, searching and testing shouldn't take very long.
We should embrace problems, without which there wouldn't be any solutions.

Vard

Post by Vard »

I posted a pastebin link copy of the .ini file.

Vard

Post by Vard »

I'm trying to read up but I still don't understand a bit of this and I'd like to get my board running. If anyone else knows how to fix this issue, please let me know.

This is the first time I've had to sit with support for almost two weeks just to get something technical accomplished.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”